Outstanding subwoofer for the targa guys

beachmaster

Jun 29, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
I was searching for quite awhile for a subwoofer/enclosure combo that would fit in my 89's hatchback and still allow for targa top storage. I found the Pioneer TS-SWX251 10" for $86 at Buy.com and decided to try it. I wasn't expecting anything wonderful, but I was blown away by it. This thing is incredible! I'm running it off a middle-of-the-road Kicker amp, nothing elaborate, and this sub hits hard and tight. I never dreamed that this thing would produce such deep, clean bass in an enclosure that is only 5" tall. And the targa easily stows right above the enclosure, like it's not even there witht least an inch of clearance.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass this along to my fellow targa audiophiles here.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Shallow+Mount/TS-SWX251

subwoofer.jpg

snowman

Banned
Oct 12, 2012
Mpls
Yeah, to me Pioneer has always made quality products at the just the right price. Thanks for the info!

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I bought a JL w3 8" already in a ported box. Hooked it up to my 5 channel amp and sounds great. I would go with JL over pioneer any day. Also love my 5 channel amp. I will never put aftermarket speakers in a car without an amp for them.

Anyways love my little 8" jl. Sounds great. Hits about as well as my two 10" JL w1's in my pickup. Also clears the targa with room to spare.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Also some other little things I have thought of. when I bought this set up, I wanted something that sounded amazing, but was still light weight, and had enough room for the targa, and other stuff in the hatch.

Pics or it didn't happen right?

p1928691_1.jpg

p1928691_2.jpg

p1928691_3.jpg

kunfusion

Feb 17, 2008
Indiana
The mounting and wiring for that amp is beautiful. I need to get back into high end audio for my new car now. My F150 has a mid range system for a daily driver, but the Supra deserves more effort...

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
kunfusion;1928766 said:
The mounting and wiring for that amp is beautiful. I need to get back into high end audio for my new car now. My F150 has a mid range system for a daily driver, but the Supra deserves more effort...

Thanks man. I put a lot of time into it. I wanted to make it so I could remove it easily if needed. Sounds amazing. Before playing around with supras my first car love/ hobby was car audio, and not the teenage put a sub in to make it rattle deal. I have always been into good clean sound.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I have been using that Pioneer shallow sub for about 3 years now. I built a custom box for it last year and it fits perfectly under the targa

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
I was looking for something to give me the bass back in mine and still give me the room to store the top when I take the top off. I ended up going with these 10's that boss made and they are horrible!
http://www.amazon.com/BASS900-Profi...909050&sr=8-24&keywords=low+profile+subwoofer

I dont like them and now need to find something else. May just get something custom made for it as my last setup will be missed greatly.

87supramario

Jul 15, 2011
Niagara falls
emericaskater285;1928691 said:
Also some other little things I have thought of. when I bought this set up, I wanted something that sounded amazing, but was still light weight, and had enough room for the targa, and other stuff in the hatch.

p1937618_1.jpg

Have you ever heard of the other JL 8'' sub? They have another one that is really loud and it hits the lower sounds just like a 12''. There is a local shop that had one more and I was going to buy it from them until I heard the price. It was close to the $400 range for some crazy reason. But they played the sub you have and kept the volume the same and pluged in the other 8''JL and it serious sounded like a 12'' was playing. And the box was ported on the side. It was really nice

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
87supramario;1937618 said:
Have you ever heard of the other JL 8'' sub? They have another one that is really loud and it hits the lower sounds just like a 12''. There is a local shop that had one more and I was going to buy it from them until I heard the price. It was close to the $400 range for some crazy reason. But they played the sub you have and kept the volume the same and pluged in the other 8''JL and it serious sounded like a 12'' was playing. And the box was ported on the side. It was really nice

Yes, it is a JL w7 8". They are cool and monstrous. I used to be into the bass a bunch, but I am just in for the audio quality now. Besides the fact that that 8" JL w7 would weight 80+ pounds with the box, need a monster amp to push it, and is expensive as hell. It also will not fit the targa in the back.

This sub I have is in a ported box. The port is on the left side. This is a JL w3 8". Also one other thing, you can not compare sound of subs by how big they are. It is about what they can put out. I guarantee that this little 8" jl sub I have will make your alpine 12" sound like shit. How do I know? I have owned both. Also the response on 8" subs is much better than 10's or 12's. Although my 10's in my truck(also JL's) are pretty responsive. Another note to take for car audio, you "usually" get what you pay for.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
I could never roll with a 1 8 inch sub and a 4 channel amp lol..... Its like trying to race a small 4 cylinder non turbo car, sure its fun sometimes but in the end its just not enough......

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Sside;1938631 said:
I could never roll with a 1 8 inch sub and a 4 channel amp lol..... Its like trying to race a small 4 cylinder non turbo car, sure its fun sometimes but in the end its just not enough......

I have a 5 channel amp before I had a 4 channel amp and a monoblock for my sub. Sub is very responsive, and is very loud and accurate. It is about quality not the size of sub. I would take a 10" w3 over a 15" type R any day. IMO JL is the highest quality of audio that any local places sell.