Our chickens.

Jun 6, 2006
Amerika
www.dreamertheresa.com
Yes. Mike and I got a quad of chicks on Saturday.

1.jpg

Two buff orpingtons and two araucanas.

I can't believe how fast these things grow. I also can't believe how much they poop.

However, they're super cute, and Mike set up a chickie cam for me:
http://www.knightsanddreams.com

YAY!

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
When they're semi adults clips their feathers... you'll be happy you did. When i was a kid there use to be chickens were i lived... But that was about 11+ years ago..

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
DreamerTheresa;1677873 said:
Thanks for the tip! But I don't know if the orpingtons will need it, since they're so heavy when they mature.

Clip the wings. Those things can jump high fences & glide for a bit. There was no way i could reach them back then because they would get up into a tree (the neighbor's to be precise... -,-), so i found rocks & knocked them down & the neighbor's dog would chase them back to our side. LOL

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
You'll love the araucana eggs... the're GREEN! My parents have chickens for the eggs as well, my best advice is to buy a good water tank (leaks suck) and never let them run out of shell bits. You will not like your eggs if you run out D: Thin shells break so easily and they make such a mess of the nesting boxes!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You know, I never understood the point of eating eggs... that's like eating an entire future chicken(s) all at once. :p

Jun 6, 2006
Amerika
www.dreamertheresa.com
Good protein. And they're not fertilized eggs. So there's no "future chicken" to be had. :p

I got them some crickets earlier and they went nuts:

[video=youtube;PmqHHrBjXcs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmqHHrBjXcs[/video]

And I've totally had too much coffee today so I'm all shakey. Derp derp herpa derp.

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Are they gonna make big eggs? One of my friends from high school got some chickens and they always made little tiny eggs.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
They *should* be normal sized, likely medium to large.

The Buff Orpingtons will lay beige~brown eggs, and the araucanas will lay pale green eggs :D

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
toyotanos;1678450 said:
Kangae;1678436 said:
Are they gonna make big eggs? One of my friends from high school got some chickens and they always made little tiny eggs.
They *should* be normal sized, likely medium to large.

And Theresa and I always feed our animals very well. I suspect we'll get some very nice large eggs from these girls. They will be very spoiled (like the rest of our animals).

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Hey, what has two thumbs and had no idea that chicken laid eggs regardless of fertilization status?

*points at self* THIS GUY! :rofl:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
DreamerTheresa;1678900 said:
te72;1678760 said:
Hey, what has two thumbs and had no idea that chicken laid eggs regardless of fertilization status?

*points at self* THIS GUY! :rofl:

Yay! I taught someone something today!

Q: What's the difference between a PC and Brad??

A: You only need to punch the info into the PC once :D

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Hey, I'm a bit slow on the uptake... last time I called shotgun, we had rented a limo. I fucked up. :p

(and yes, blatantly borrowing a line from Mitch on that one, not sorry a bit.)