Options for using z32 calipers?

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
So I had a deal go south. NBD I bought nightpager brackets (from blackgamer16), was told they'd be shipped. Came home and was informed that the seller wouldn't make enough $ and had pieced together a kit (after the sale) using my brackets. Attempts to twist my arm into buying the kit failed, as I had already bought every bit and piece to make the brackets work after the sale was complete, and shipment promised.

-refurbished aluminum 30mm z32 calipers
-brembo 12.8"x30mm rotors
-ebc yellow pads for z32 calipers

Now I have everything (except spacers and brackets) to make this work.

option:

1? Send stock bracket (or hub) + z32 calipers, and rotors to someone and have custom mounts fabbed.

2? Find specs for nightpager brackets.

3? Get someone to send their brackets to Beech Performance (or other qualified fabricator) and have replicas made.

Not sure which to go with, but one has to happen as I now have a fairly expensive pile of currently useless parts :nono:

suggestions?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Could make your own brackets. It's not hard. Put rotor on hub put caliper on rotor. See where it needs to be. Make a temp braket with all the nesseccary holes and spacing and then take that to a machine shop and ask for that.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Yeah, guess I need the hub spacer first. I'll get specs on that to the machinist tomorrow. Just not sure what I'd make the bracket out of... wood? I'm asking around though, good chance I can dig up some specs or buy an additional set of replications already being made.

If I go with mocking up brackets, does anyone know what material would be most ideal for end product? I'm thinking some kind of steel. More reading required.

Looks like wesbeech was going to make some of these brackets and never got around to it.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?65997-Upgraded-front-brakes-300-zx-calipers./page7

Looking like I'm going to have him finish what he wanted to start 6 years ago.

Last edited:

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
obviously you can't use wood when heat is a huge factor in braking. Aluminum would probably be ideal if it was strong enough. Really all you have to do is measure the holes on your old caliper, measure the distance of the new ones and make sure you have your hub centric ring then take it to a machine shop and have them create the bracket with your measurement.

2.65" exterior, 2.40" interior, and 1/4 " thick = hub centric ring measurements, you will need this to factor in how your bracket will fit I believe.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
:rofl: no, no I was talking about mocking up brackets to get measurements for the final product. I know wood would make one trip around the block, much less to the end of the driveway....

I think I'm going to wait till I have the hub rings and take measurements from there.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
So, good news. Wesley @ Beech Performance has specs to make these brackets and I should be helping him organize a group buy here shortly. He said he could make me a set for sure but I'd have to wait till ~may, as they're too busy ATM. If the group buy is successful, he should be able to make them sooner, no promises though.

Group buy will be for hub rings for 350z track rotors (just bought new OE brembo rotors for $55 each, shipped) and brackets for 4 pot z32 calipers (just bought reman aluminum calipers w/ 30mm gap for $140 shipped for both.) pads range from $50-140~ depending what you want. Calipers use factory brake lines on the supra. All in all, very affordable. Calipers will not fit under mkiv wheels without machining some material off of them, but they will fit under my 17" fn01r-c's