Opinions on SAFC

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
I have a JZA70. Currently I have a Blitz Access ECU and want to do more mods such as bigger injectors. I have a set of JDM 2JZ 440s I would like to install, so do I need to get a SAFC first or will the ECU adapt?

I am still planning on purchasing a SAFC, but first I'll be getting a wideband so I can properly see what kind of Air/fuel ratios I'm getting, currently I believe, judging by the smell of my exhaust, I'm running somewhat rich. I have stock 1JZ injectors.

Is it ok to get an Apexi-SAFC I? They are quite cheap I've noticed and look fairly simply to operate, which I like.

Also, what is it like to install one of these? Is it something like a Fuel Cut defender where you would simply slice it into various ECU wires? I've seen some models with vehicle specific looms, but I think I would have a hard time finding one that would have a loom for a JZA70.

Any thoughts or opinions is greatly appreciated.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
your car will run even if you put the 440s in without the afc its just gonna run pig rich, what are your mods? i wouldn't get a afc one, i would try to get at least a afc 2 it has more tunning points and its just as easy to operate although it is alittle more expensive. if you have money try to get atleast a afc neo, it has more tuning points. if you want even more tunning points or a better tune you should think about getting something else. the install on a afc isn't hard at all, there are good instructions and diagrams so it should take you like an hour. its kinda like wiring a fcd but with more wires.

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
My mods are:
-Full 3 inch exhaust with no cat
-Apexi intake
-Turbosmart boost controller (set to stock)
-Aftermarket fuel pump (never really looked under my car to see what it is)
-Blitz Access ECU, supposevly tuned for stock injectors and cams. No fuel cut, no speed cut
-other mods like TEIN suspension and front and rear brace bars

I suppose I will try and look for an Apexi SAFC II then. I've been looking at the Neo also, but its a bit out of my price range since I also have to get a wideband. Also more recently, my harmonic balancer broke into two pieces....the part alone from Toyota is $500....

And I also have alot of other garbage to take care of, new front lip needs painting and I'll need two rear tires for summer. I've never spent so much money on one vehicle before...

Gritz

Aug 1, 2008
nc
Sam;1222589 said:
My mods are:
-Full 3 inch exhaust with no cat
-Apexi intake
-Turbosmart boost controller (set to stock)
-Aftermarket fuel pump (never really looked under my car to see what it is)
-Blitz Access ECU, supposevly tuned for stock injectors and cams. No fuel cut, no speed cut
-other mods like TEIN suspension and front and rear brace bars

I suppose I will try and look for an Apexi SAFC II then. I've been looking at the Neo also, but its a bit out of my price range since I also have to get a wideband. Also more recently, my harmonic balancer broke into two pieces....the part alone from Toyota is $500....

And I also have alot of other garbage to take care of, new front lip needs painting and I'll need two rear tires for summer. I've never spent so much money on one vehicle before...

get use to it...:evil2:

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
when I first put in my 440's, I was able to run them with no AFC corrections on my low throttle just fine, but when I went WOT then it went down to the sub 10's AFR and ran super pig rich.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Tim;1222801 said:
when I first put in my 440's, I was able to run them with no AFC corrections on my low throttle just fine, but when I went WOT then it went down to the sub 10's AFR and ran super pig rich.

Dont do it, run a afc

Get a ATI Pulley from summit for 350.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
i don't think the 440s are needed yet but if you do run them i wouldn't do it without a afc. you'll be running to rich

cbutler

Jan 31, 2006
Regina, SK
Yeah, don't get an SAFC I, or you'll just wish you would have gotten something newer later. SAFC II and the neo are similar enough tuning wise so its up to you whether the neater look and color display are worth the extra cash.
I put a neo in my JZA70 last year and as was mentioned it is quite easy to do and there are good diagrams for the JZA70 ECU.
As for the 440's, I don't really see a point to putting them in unless you have plans for other upgrades in the near future.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
cbutler;1227542 said:
Yeah, don't get an SAFC I, or you'll just wish you would have gotten something newer later. SAFC II and the neo are similar enough tuning wise so its up to you whether the neater look and color display are worth the extra cash.
I put a neo in my JZA70 last year and as was mentioned it is quite easy to do and there are good diagrams for the JZA70 ECU.
As for the 440's, I don't really see a point to putting them in unless you have plans for other upgrades in the near future.

why do you say that? i prefer the safc 1 over the rest (havn't used the neo). But the afc1 has enough rpm points (8) and the controls are much easier then the safc2. Plus you can get them dirt cheap (i've bought 2 for less the 75 each). Only real benifit of the safc2 over the 1 is the dual maps available on the safc2. But for a normal street car you wouldn't use it anyways.

cbutler

Jan 31, 2006
Regina, SK
tissimo;1227616 said:
why do you say that? i prefer the safc 1 over the rest (havn't used the neo). But the afc1 has enough rpm points (8) and the controls are much easier then the safc2. Plus you can get them dirt cheap (i've bought 2 for less the 75 each). Only real benifit of the safc2 over the 1 is the dual maps available on the safc2. But for a normal street car you wouldn't use it anyways.

I like the added resolution of the neo (16 points), a nicer monitor mode, and very nice integration into the ashtray on our Supra's to give a very clean look. The controls are very fool proof as well.
But I do agree that performance per dollar the SAFC I is a better deal.
They did take away the dual map capability on the neo which is kind of crappy although as you say it is not really necessary.

Rockola

Jul 15, 2007
finland
cbutler;1227670 said:
I like the added resolution of the neo (16 points), a nicer monitor mode, and very nice integration into the ashtray on our Supra's to give a very clean look. The controls are very fool proof as well.
But I do agree that performance per dollar the SAFC I is a better deal.
They did take away the dual map capability on the neo which is kind of crappy although as you say it is not really necessary.

Read this about neo..

http://www.3si.org/forum/f1/apex-af...mming-bug-karman-function-doesnt-work-419786/