Operation "Can't hear shit" *Pics*

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
So I finally got around to start tearing out my interior for the color change (oxblood to black). Dash came out easy, carpet came out easy (found a diamond engagement ring (http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97598) and finally it was time to begin the sound deadening process.

For those of you who have missed my other threads, the entire undercarriage of the vehicle, wheel wells, firewall end of engine bay and even the gas tank have been completely stripped, sound deadened with soundspectrum and painted over.

Once the carpet was up, I thought I could just leave the factory asphalt deadener on the car and just cover over it; so I cleaned it up real nice.

p1338892_1.jpg

p1338892_2.jpg

p1338892_3.jpg

p1338892_4.jpg

Unfortunetly, that factory deadener isn't just a single layer of asphalt based mat; rather a quesadilla of asphalt mat with foam in the center. Problem is, over the years the top mat begins to form cracks which lets all sorts of nastiness that has been spilled in the car over the years seep in.

p1338892_5.jpg

The real problem being is that when I hosed the floorboards out, the water rested in the cracks and the foam sucked it up. It was raining the rest of the week so nothing evaporated. Days later I could still push on the mat and see black fluid dribble out. The choice was made, it's gotta go.

p1338892_6.jpg

Last edited:

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
The top asphalt mat and the underlying foam came up very easily. However, the bottom mat was a different story all together. I real pain in the butt to get up. I had to resort to a heat gun and scraper.

Here's where 5 hours get ya:

p1338900_1.jpg

p1338900_2.jpg

p1338900_3.jpg

Once it all came up, me and my woman took a healthy helping of Comet powder to the underlying surface to scuff it up real nice for the sound deader to adhere to. Then all surfaces were wiped down with a clean rag and alcohol; thoroughly.

Nice and clean

p1338900_4.jpg

Finally the fun part.

First coating of sound deadener (blue when wet, grey when cured)

p1338900_5.jpg

p1338900_6.jpg

p1338900_7.jpg

p1338900_8.jpg

p1338900_9.jpg

p1338900_10.jpg

p1338900_11.jpg

Last edited:

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Put a good 4 coats on. This stuff does not weigh much at all since it is waterbased. I put maybe 4-5lbs of deadener on if that. Not much considering a pulled a good 15-20lbs of asphalt mat off.

Since the deadener is waterbased, a protective coating is needed. Some Krylon Gloss black paint fits the bill nicely. Used 2 cans.

p1338905_1.jpg

p1338905_2.jpg

p1338905_3.jpg

p1338905_4.jpg

p1338905_5.jpg

All that's left to do is run the wires for the stereo and put down some plush black carpet. As you may have noticed, the trunk area is still not finished. It's currently full of everything that needs to be color changed to black. With the weather lately I've been falling behind.

While me and my girl were at it, we decided to pull the rusty dash structure brace and sand, rust convert and paint.

p1338905_6.jpg

p1338905_7.jpg

p1338905_8.jpg

p1338905_9.jpg

Last edited:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Sick! I'm about to do this, actually. (remove all the sound matte) That Soundspectrum sounds decent. If it's really as light as you say it is, I might spring for that!

Also, how do you think that spray-can black will last? It would be nice for me to be able to shoot the interior of my car myself, save me some cash. Looks like you and your girl are doing a damn fine job! (She's a keeper, too! ;))

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
shaeff;1338912 said:
Sick! I'm about to do this, actually. (remove all the sound matte) That Soundspectrum sounds decent. If it's really as light as you say it is, I might spring for that!

Also, how do you think that spray-can black will last? It would be nice for me to be able to shoot the interior of my car myself, save me some cash. Looks like you and your girl are doing a damn fine job! (She's a keeper, too! ;))

I originally bought 8 gallons of sound deadener ($50 a gallon, but call SoundSpectrum and they'll cut you a bulk discount). I was told over the phone that once the 8 gallons cure, it's only 47lbs! I expect the black paint to hold up nicely since I plan on installing thick carpet with foam underneath. If you're going for a bare interior, I'd recommend using a good engine enamel or preferably PUR15's rust converter if you have the cash (something like $150 a can). However, that stuff is the shit and hardens like a powdercoat. I've used it on my engine and many other parts and once cured looks identical to my powder coated valve covers.

I'd reconsider pulling all of the factory asphalt mat if I were you (if you're going to sound deaden anyways). If you noticed, I only pulled what was on the floor boards, which is the only mat that had the foam inside. For the other mat (firewall, tranny tunnel and rear seat area) I just heated with a heat gun and took a roller to it to make sure it was on nice and tight. Then I just sound deadened over it. I wasn't going to spend another 5+ hours screwing with that just to save 15lbs. But if you have the time, go for it :)

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
man that looks good! (both ;)) I cant wait to strip my interiour out and re do it all. What are you using for the dye to convert ot black? what prep on the seats and plastics?

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
grimreaper;1339093 said:
man that looks good! (both ;)) I cant wait to strip my interiour out and re do it all. What are you using for the dye to convert ot black? what prep on the seats and plastics?

I'm not going to use dye, but rather vinyl paint. I found some pretty high quality stuff at a local paint store. I never even heard of it before. But the company is reputable, the spray cans are large and use high quality nozzles. I'll snap a pic of the stuff the next time I'm in the garage. For the plastic pieces I will use Krylon Fusion (for cost savings and to give the plastic a slightly different color than the vinyl).

As far as prep goes, I'm going the same exact route that I went with the floor boards. Comet powder, water and a scotch pad. Then rinse. Then wipe down in alcohol or acetone with clean rag, then paint with 2-3 light coats. I am not painting my old seats since I have some black leather ones out a of JDM Supra for fronts, and rear black leather with suede centers (also out of a JDM). I wouldn't recommend painting anything that will have a lot of contact since the paint will flake off that much faster. Any leather items I needed redone were just sent off to Facime. He recently got the new gloss leather in that I've been waiting on; so I'm excited to see what he can do.

I still haven't ordered the carpet yet, which sucks because I'm pretty much ready for it. There's plenty of choices out there; any recommendations?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
MarkIII4Me;1338917 said:
I originally bought 8 gallons of sound deadener ($50 a gallon, but call SoundSpectrum and they'll cut you a bulk discount). I was told over the phone that once the 8 gallons cure, it's only 47lbs! I expect the black paint to hold up nicely since I plan on installing thick carpet with foam underneath. If you're going for a bare interior, I'd recommend using a good engine enamel or preferably PUR15's rust converter if you have the cash (something like $150 a can). However, that stuff is the shit and hardens like a powdercoat. I've used it on my engine and many other parts and once cured looks identical to my powder coated valve covers.

I'd reconsider pulling all of the factory asphalt mat if I were you (if you're going to sound deaden anyways). If you noticed, I only pulled what was on the floor boards, which is the only mat that had the foam inside. For the other mat (firewall, tranny tunnel and rear seat area) I just heated with a heat gun and took a roller to it to make sure it was on nice and tight. Then I just sound deadened over it. I wasn't going to spend another 5+ hours screwing with that just to save 15lbs. But if you have the time, go for it :)

Right on. I was planning to pull the sound matte anyway, and didn't plan on putting any more in. The only thing that made me think twice, was the cured weight of the stuff you used. LOL.

No matter what, all the asphalt crap is coming out of my car- I don't want it there. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the tips. :)

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Wow, informative thread.
Looks like you've got everything going well for you, good job! I hope to get around to this step some day, but I'm wanting for a garage right now, which makes this kind of stuff difficult.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
IJ.;1339595 said:
So this stuff is a bit like Stone Guard you use on external panels?

Stone Guard is more of a rubberized coating, almost like a bed liner spray. The SecondSkin Spectrum is a viscoelastic coating. Here's what I pulled from their website:

Spectrum™ is a water based under coating designed to reduce sheet metal resonance and structure borne noise. It is a true visceolastic sound deadener that can make any vehicle quiet as a luxury car.
Now made with Cryogenically manipulated polymers and high temperature wax, Spectrum is the only product on the market of its kind!
Spectrum can be applied as an interior coating on the sheet metal behind the upholstery, or as an acoustical undercoating on the outside of the floor pan to create tomb like silence and provide mechanical protection from rust.

When applied to the interior and exterior floor pan, Spectrum can reduce 300% more road, engine and exhaust noise than traditional OEM dampers and tar boards, all at half the weight.

I've been using this stuff for years and have always been pleased. For the price, there is no better.

IJ.;1339595 said:
Your GF has the Kirsten Dunst look going on very nice thanks :)

Yeah, she gets that alot. Well, that and Jewel lately? I think she's hotter. And only 22 to boot :) As I said, the pics don't do her justice. If I could get some members to help me finish this project I'd be able to get some brazilian bikini pics of her with the Supra taken and posted-up all that much faster :naughty:

Last edited:

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Hot dang, what a cutie. You've done well for yourself.

Nice work on the car too. I did eventually get to looking at those pictures...

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
IJ.;1339607 said:
Do you know if they have an Aussie distributor?

Almost midnight here I'll check back in the am thanks!

I'm not sure if they do. However, SecondSkin has been around for a long time and have many resellers, so it wouldn't surprise me. I'd hate to have to pay shipping to Australia on this stuff since it's like shipping cans of concreate. You won't need much. I was told by them to get around 8 gallons if I was going to do my entire car, top and bottom with 2mm on each side. I ended up putting at least 3mm on top and bottom and have used maybe half of that. However, I find myself adding more water to it to get the consistency I want when I brush it on. If you prefer you can actually spray this stuff on. SecondSkin even offers a $15 spray gun and resevoir you can use. You'll need to add lots of water to it if you want to spray it on. This is the route I took for the engine bay and wheel wells. However, make sure you clean the gun out very well after each use. I thought I did yet it ended up clogging on me at one point and the resevoir (3/4 full) exploded all over the place. Now I use a brush. :biglaugh: