On the topic of seat belts and safety

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
I did some research on here, and I've not found alot of info on seat belts. My concern is my 2 yr old daughter that rides with me. Mike (supramk3man) told me that in a wreck, his mkiii shoulder belt didn't hold him well, and this concerns me. What I have found is that the mkiii belts are inertia driven, unlike the belts in modern cars. I took a little test drive with Mike, and we also discovered they locked when he applied the brake in normal driving.

I have spoke to Jeff at champion. He confirmed that the belts in my car and Mike's car are operating as designed. The replacement belts that toyota sells now are still that same design. He also stressed that the little black lever in the door jam (he called it a comfort lever?) be working correctly. I asked how would I test that and he suggested I take it to the dealer to have it checked. My DS belt doesn't retract anymore, and since I don't have an airbag, I am thinking about getting a new set of seatbelts for the car. Jeff had to go, but I am suppose to call him back to get pricing info this afternoon. But, if anyone on here has some experiences with the belts, or could explain more about the comfort lever, that would be helpful. I know alot of people buy/sell used belts, I'm just not sure an 18 yr old belt is going to be reliable period.

Thoughts? comments?

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
If I am not mistaken, seat belts are warrantied for the life of the car. This is due to safety reason and requirement by the government. You can call your local Toyota dealer and inquire about the seat belts, they might be able to replace it at no charge or repair at no charge.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
ZoomZoomZoom;1156628 said:
I did some research on here, and I've not found alot of info on seat belts. My concern is my 2 yr old daughter that rides with me. Mike (supramk3man) told me that in a wreck, his mkiii shoulder belt didn't hold him well, and this concerns me. What I have found is that the mkiii belts are inertia driven, unlike the belts in modern cars. I took a little test drive with Mike, and we also discovered they locked when he applied the brake in normal driving.

I have spoke to Jeff at champion. He confirmed that the belts in my car and Mike's car are operating as designed. The replacement belts that toyota sells now are still that same design. He also stressed that the little black lever in the door jam (he called it a comfort lever?) be working correctly. I asked how would I test that and he suggested I take it to the dealer to have it checked. My DS belt doesn't retract anymore, and since I don't have an airbag, I am thinking about getting a new set of seatbelts for the car. Jeff had to go, but I am suppose to call him back to get pricing info this afternoon. But, if anyone on here has some experiences with the belts, or could explain more about the comfort lever, that would be helpful. I know alot of people buy/sell used belts, I'm just not sure an 18 yr old belt is going to be reliable period.

Thoughts? comments?

Seat belts that don't lock when the pendelum is bumped kill people in certain accidents.

I bought a Yukon for the car seat.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
reydio;1156809 said:
If I am not mistaken, seat belts are warrantied for the life of the car. This is due to safety reason and requirement by the government. You can call your local Toyota dealer and inquire about the seat belts, they might be able to replace it at no charge or repair at no charge.

They aren't warrantied for life. Your dealer and local Toyota region did what is called good will warranty.

They don't want you leaving with the original belt not fixed because of money, then getting in a car wreck. Guess who the jury will side with?

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Nick M;1156815 said:
They aren't warrantied for life. Your dealer and local Toyota region did what is called good will warranty.

They don't want you leaving with the original belt not fixed because of money, then getting in a car wreck. Guess who the jury will side with?

Champion is a toyota dealer. Price is $90 ea + shipping. Rear seat belts are no longer available. I ordered a new set for my front seats. BTW, only color available is grey.

7M-GTEric

Sep 27, 2007
Knoxville, TN
I'd be interested to know what the "comfort lever" does, as my seatbelt no longer retracts, and I noticed tonight that it doesn't catch if jerked. Which means the ABS, SRS AND seatbelts in my car are all malfunctioning....why is safety so effing expensive!? :3d_frown:

ZoomZoomZoom;1156936 said:
Champion is a toyota dealer. Price is $90 ea + shipping. Rear seat belts are no longer available. I ordered a new set for my front seats. BTW, only color available is grey.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
7M-GTEric;1156962 said:
I'd be interested to know what the "comfort lever" does, as my seatbelt no longer retracts, and I noticed tonight that it doesn't catch if jerked. Which means the ABS, SRS AND seatbelts in my car are all malfunctioning....why is safety so effing expensive!? :3d_frown:

The belts won't catch if snapped, the brake needs to be engaged. Here is a page out of my 90 TSRM:

seatbeltol7.jpg

I haven't done the static test. No mention of that mysterious comfort lever though..

Jerm

Apr 7, 2005
O.C.
Is the comfort lever that little switch on the doorsill that makes the belt retract harder when the doors are open?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
sorry to thread jack but if the rear seat belts are no longer available what is going to happen in 10-20 years when all of our rear seat belts don't catch? will they start reproducing them or are we just going to be f***ed. this is a safety concern and they stop making them, its nonsense. it would almost be better if they didn't sell them at all if there not going to make them anymore.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
close friends a lot and a family once in a while. the rear seats are a bitch for taller people i know that but its still safety. and they only make one color for the front, what happens when they dont even make that color then what? everyone goes to a 5pt? imo seatbelts are way better than airbags will ever be just for the fact that a air bag is hot as hell when it hits your face and in alot of cases has made 3 degree burns on some people faces

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
Nick M;1156815 said:

I guess that goes for Toyota. Honda have a lifetime warranty on their seat belts, I used to have a 1991 CRX and the seat belt won't retract anymore, the dealer replaced them at no charge.

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
hvyman;1157102 said:
close friends a lot and a family once in a while. the rear seats are a bitch for taller people i know that but its still safety. and they only make one color for the front, what happens when they dont even make that color then what? everyone goes to a 5pt? imo seatbelts are way better than airbags will ever be just for the fact that a air bag is hot as hell when it hits your face and in alot of cases has made 3 degree burns on some people faces

i would prefer 4 or 5 pt's over a regular seat belt anyway.

Who

Supramania Contributor
A follow up on how the new seat belts retract or stowaway would be great. I'm getting tired of having to coax the seat belt back into the stow away or having it get caught in the door jamb when I open and close the door.:icon_bigg

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
reydio;1157140 said:
I guess that goes for Toyota. Honda have a lifetime warranty on their seat belts, I used to have a 1991 CRX and the seat belt won't retract anymore, the dealer replaced them at no charge.

I never saw a customer charged for one either, and I changed a few over the years.

I think it is US law that the seatbelt has a long law. I don't remember the time, but is like the cat. If Champion says the belt isn't available anymore, then Toyota isn't required to change it any more.

And yeah, seat belts are much more important than an airbag, which is actually called, supplemental restraint system for a reason. It is a supplement for head on collisions.

For the OP, shop around. You do want it to latch and are right to be concerned.

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
suprabad;1157175 said:
4 and 5 point seat belts don't work on the street. Picture yourself trying back-up strapped to the seat in a 4/5 point. You can't turn your body to look through the rear window...no bueno.

I see what u mean, but I have reverse down to a t with just my mirrors :) ( broke my collar bone and couldn't turn regardless of belts lol, the few times I drove I had just my mirrors and I havnt had to turn since)

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
hvyman;1157084 said:
sorry to thread jack but if the rear seat belts are no longer available what is going to happen in 10-20 years when all of our rear seat belts don't catch? will they start reproducing them or are we just going to be f***ed. this is a safety concern and they stop making them, its nonsense. it would almost be better if they didn't sell them at all if there not going to make them anymore.

Since the rear seat belts aren't used as much (typically), they shouldn't wear out as fast.

I bet the seat belts in certain model celicas would work. Be curious to know if anyone has tried them..

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Jerm;1157076 said:
Is the comfort lever that little switch on the doorsill that makes the belt retract harder when the doors are open?
This is correct. Less tension on your chest when driving, and helps to reel the belt in when the door opens.

I've heard of people's belts not retracting well after a while. Seems to be a common problem with some Mk3 belts. New ones might be the best option.

7M-GTEric

Sep 27, 2007
Knoxville, TN
Well, I discovered why my seatbelt wasn't working right; one corner of the casing around the pendulum mechanism had somehow come loose, allowing the components inside to come somewhat loose. After looking it over, I put the components back, fixed the casing, and did the road test and it's back in working order AND it retracts much better now, after I jerked it about half a million times trying to determine if it worked or not haha :icon_bigg