Okay so it's stalling out?????

toycarchic

Jul 25, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Last week my car wouldnt start I called Ken he said it was the wire running near the timing belt a replaced the splice on the lose wire and it was fine.. So yesterday I drove it on it's first long day since I've had it and she did well 2 hours in and out of traffic, and then as I was almost there she just died restarted fine but died again the next time I was at an idle in traffic did it a few more times off and on. I checked the splice and it seems to be good do I need to go farther down the wiring or what??? the car wasn't overheated all the gages were fine..

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
The wires she speaks of are the cps wires that I spliced. I would think if it's them causing the car to stall out, it wouldn't start right up again. It had never done that to me before. How is it idling before and after it stalls? Is it still smooth and at what rpm? And of course is the Check Engine light coming on? If so you can use the SuperMonitor to tell you what code(s) it may be throwing.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
I've spoken with Julia and since she's quite under the weather I'm going to help her out on this as much as I can. She went to Ozzfest too and the heat took a toll on her. Get well soon!!! Rock-n-Roll!!!!

The car idles smoothly, and it began to stall while sitting in traffic after a couple of hours of highway driving. She'd come to a stop, it would die but would fire right back up with no idling issues. The boost gauge reads -18/20 psi at idle which it has always done. No Codes. Premium unleaded fuel being used.

I told her to pull a spark plug to check and see how it looks. Any other suggestions? Would the ISC have anything to do with this? While I had it, it would idle around 600-750 rpms. It does have a drop in K&N filter that I had recently cleaned and re-oiled. I did that before I knew the oil screwed with the AFM.

I'm not the OP but this probably ought to be moved to the GTE Technical section.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Sounds like heat soak of the CPS wiring.

I had the same stupid issues until I replaced the wiring harness and CPS from the dealer, but I don't recommend it as it's not cheap...

roadboy

Supra Owner
Jan 22, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
not sure if it's related but my car had the same problems, but it was due to alot of cracks on the accordion hose, and the intercooler pipe slipped off the turbo inlet.

toycarchic

Jul 25, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Okay so i've checked everything to the best of my knowledge that you guys are mentioning, there are no lose vacuum lines that i can see, the wires are good it is not idling rough and it does start right back up. I pulled spark plug #1 today and it looked okay i think my friend said maybe a little hot ... the first 3 or so threads were pretty dark and the very center was pink?/... not sure how to tell if its bad or not unless of course its soaked in oil... they are NGK plugs but thats all i know he said something about need to be a plus 1 or 2... b/c it's turbo we should be using cold plugs or something... realize this is my first turbo car i have always run n/a and just used standard NGK plugs. I drove her today about 35 miles straight no problems... and I really don't want to change the harness... not a good money time...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The car is stock for the most part, use the stock heat range plugs.

Besides that I can't really tell you what it is without really seeing the car.

When it stalls out, does it idle rough or anything before it happens, or does it act like you just turned the key off?

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
I can't really remember what plugs I put in there. I know they were NGK coppers.
She said the car had no idling issues and that it just died, would start right up and be just a smooth as always. You mentioned the cps wires being heatsoaked Poodles, but if that were the case, would fire right up like she says?

toycarchic

Jul 25, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Poodles;1102572 said:
The car is stock for the most part, use the stock heat range plugs.

Besides that I can't really tell you what it is without really seeing the car.

When it stalls out, does it idle rough or anything before it happens, or does it act like you just turned the key off?

I can tell just before it dies because it idles low, but really just like i turned the key because it is so quick, I can meet you with the car sometime if you want to check it out, I think i saw you were in fort worth too... I have to drive it to Oklahoma on Friday and I would really feel better knowing it is not going to do this again as I will be on the road maybe 6 + hours straight through.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Mine would do it when the wiring to the CPS was bad. It would randomly stall out, and fire right back up.

Then it got worse and wouldn't start back up until I wiggled the wires...

toycarchic

Jul 25, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Poodles;1104146 said:
Mine would do it when the wiring to the CPS was bad. It would randomly stall out, and fire right back up.

Then it got worse and wouldn't start back up until I wiggled the wires...

Joy.... :) .. so I should start looking for a CPS harness.... because if it takes toyota the amount of time to send it as my book then I'm in trouble... Thank you for your help, do you have a recommendation to where I should order the parts from?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Bigzavs;1105270 said:
hey julia, shoot me a msg on yahoo, i might have a cps here at my house

let me know if you need to try parts off of a working 7m as mine is flawless for the moment and im open to pull and swap to narrow down your issue. any codes?!?

ohh and near plano/carrollton area, and willing to meet where ever if you need!

toycarchic

Jul 25, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
grimreaper;1105298 said:
let me know if you need to try parts off of a working 7m as mine is flawless for the moment and im open to pull and swap to narrow down your issue. any codes?!?

ohh and near plano/carrollton area, and willing to meet where ever if you need!

Sweet, I will probably try to catch you on that, I'm starting to think it is my cps, it killed over last night and I cannot get it to start back up. looking like I might need to chase some wires down.... No codes have come up jusat the normal lights when your triing to start it, Well I live in the Eastside of fort worth I am probsably gonna try to get to it this weekend or early in the week. Let me know if you're availinle i could use the help... Julia