ok......... what 12 in sub should i get alpine srw or kicker cvx

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
beachsupra;1116905 said:
oh btw kickers are cheap a 12in l7 costs 190 and 10 in cvx's cost 160. im proably gona get a 12 in l7 or 2 10 cvx's.oh yea i do have 1 more question 2 ohm or 4 ohm whats the difference and whats better for daily street use? ::fundy:: whats better 2 10in cvx's or 1 12in l7

just wanna hear some opinions ^^^^^^^^^^^

K, well none are better then the other. Its just the measurement of impedance or resistance measurement of the sub's voice coils.. Example, I have a 2ohm stable amp then I will get 2 2ohm subwoofers soo I can hook em up in series and have a 2ohm load... So my amp can handle that.. Okay, now if I have 2 4ohm subwoofers I will wire those parallel so I can get a 1ohm load... For this you need a 1ohm stable amp... Or I can also wire those 4ohm subwoofer to a 4ohm load... In case your amp is not 1ohm stable but I would recommend to just get a 1ohm stable amp from the get go... Point is there are many ways to wire your subwoofers in order to get the ohm load desired and that is why they come in 2 ohm or 4 ohm, so they can better fit in ones type of install depending on what kind of amp you are using. Otherwize you gonna have your amp shut off, I dont care how many watts it is.... 1 L7 is gonna give you sloppy Loud bass that retards like (cough)... My opinion is 2 10 inch vx's 4ohm wired in parallel with a 1ohm stable amp will fit you best. You will get tighter cleaner bass... :D

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Sside;1116207 said:
He can get a single Cvx for under 200 actually, I can get him one easy for 180 - 150 maybe less but I dont know how 2 get it to him lol, he just needs to know were to buy emm, I know a guy with license to buy from factory.. And I mean the list of subwoofers he can get other then kicker are endless, He could look into Memphis wich I love :).... Oh and beachsupra tho i know you dont want spl here are two of the same subwoofers I had... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-qo5KY4wg And yeah they bang hard.... 1 12 inch of those in ported box wont do you wrong either..... I sense preference towards enclosed boxes but really like I said there is too much weight on what subwoofer with what specifications and what amps.
Who is going to buy the 12" cvx for that price, and still provide kickers warranty? Thats the issue. And those are some cheap ass memphis subs man. Not impressed. The old school rockford amp is nice, but thos subs would serve better as a fancy papr weight. 2 CVX's would pound the hell out of some cheap PR series Memphis. Those are the cheapest subs Memphis makes... About equivilant to a kicker Comp.

And its not the sub and amp that matter most, it IS THE BOX. period. Take the memphis MOJO, since your a memphis fan, and you can put it in a crappy little powrted box you buy from best buy, and geuss what, it will be no better than one of your PR 12's in a box I build for it. SPL, or SQ. Its all in the box!

Sside;1117087 said:
K, well none are better then the other. Its just the measurement of impedance or resistance measurement of the sub's voice coils.. Example, I have a 2ohm stable amp then I will get 2 2ohm subwoofers soo I can hook em up in series and have a 2ohm load... So my amp can handle that.. Okay, now if I have 2 4ohm subwoofers I will wire those parallel so I can get a 1ohm load... For this you need a 1ohm stable amp... Or I can also wire those 4ohm subwoofer to a 4ohm load... In case your amp is not 1ohm stable but I would recommend to just get a 1ohm stable amp from the get go... Point is there are many ways to wire your subwoofers in order to get the ohm load desired and that is why they come in 2 ohm or 4 ohm, so they can better fit in ones type of install depending on what kind of amp you are using. Otherwize you gonna have your amp shut off, I dont care how many watts it is.... 1 L7 is gonna give you sloppy Loud bass that retards like (cough)... My opinion is 2 10 inch vx's 4ohm wired in parallel with a 1ohm stable amp will fit you best. You will get tighter cleaner bass... :D
Wow dude... Back to basic!!! 2 2ohm subs in series will equal a 4ohm load! I think you need to learn what your talking about be fore you try and rant on about how much you really know. A set of 4 ohm subs cannot what so ever equal 1 ohm, or 4ohm!!

2 2 ohm subs wired in parallel will equal a single 1 ohm load, or wired in series would equal a single 4 ohm load.

2 4ohm subs wired in parallel would equal a single 2ohm load, and wired in series would an 8ohm load....

The reasons speakers have multiple voice coils is to allow for more versatility for a broader range of amps... You can wire them how you need to get just the right impedence load for the amp and type of setup you want.

But on the amps side of things, the higher the impedence load, the lesser the amount of distoin it produces, but at the loss of power output due to the high resistance.

897mgte

Jun 26, 2008
new london
? i have an mkIII and i am looking for a sub box that will fit under the targa top deal in the trunk anyone know where i can buy one or what subs i can get that will fit under i want 2 10's or 2 8's

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
pbasil1;1117113 said:
Who is going to buy the 12" cvx for that price, and still provide kickers warranty? Thats the issue. And those are some cheap ass memphis subs man. Not impressed. The old school rockford amp is nice, but thos subs would serve better as a fancy papr weight. 2 CVX's would pound the hell out of some cheap PR series Memphis. Those are the cheapest subs Memphis makes... About equivilant to a kicker Comp.

And its not the sub and amp that matter most, it IS THE BOX. period. Take the memphis MOJO, since your a memphis fan, and you can put it in a crappy little powrted box you buy from best buy, and geuss what, it will be no better than one of your PR 12's in a box I build for it. SPL, or SQ. Its all in the box!

Wow dude... Back to basic!!! 2 2ohm subs in series will equal a 4ohm load! I think you need to learn what your talking about be fore you try and rant on about how much you really know. A set of 4 ohm subs cannot what so ever equal 1 ohm, or 4ohm!!

2 2 ohm subs wired in parallel will equal a single 1 ohm load, or wired in series would equal a single 4 ohm load.

2 4ohm subs wired in parallel would equal a single 2ohm load, and wired in series would an 8ohm load....

The reasons speakers have multiple voice coils is to allow for more versatility for a broader range of amps... You can wire them how you need to get just the right impedence load for the amp and type of setup you want.

But on the amps side of things, the higher the impedence load, the lesser the amount of distoin it produces, but at the loss of power output due to the high resistance.

Wont lie, been out the install bay for almost a year.... But here
p1117140_1.gif

And
p1117140_2.gif

I can buy cvx's with warranty for that price... Straight from KICKER... Also Memphis Pr's are equal to comps, true that. And I have owned those 2... I have owned cvr's and vx's.... You name it.... But dont judge a subwoofer on its price... Memphis pr's are by no means $hitty subwoofers nor are kicker comps... Yes the lowest priced subwoofers each brand makes but not bad subwoofers.... And what is gr8 about emm is that you can put emm in a best buy box and bang away with a smile in your face... Not everyone has the time nor money for custom built boxes. I am not against custom built boxes nor saying its not a big part of the system. Just saying some people are looking for a basic set up... Why confuse emm with $hit they dont need to know.. I am not bragging on how much I know. Like I said, I wont get too technicall here... One thing I have learned in this car audio business... is some one always has theyre theory on things and theyre beliefs... I just keep thinking and doing what I do and they can keeping doing what they do... :D

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Sside;1117140 said:
Wont lie, been out the install bay for almost a year.... But here
p1117148_1.gif

And
p1117148_2.gif

I can buy cvx's with warranty for that price... Straight from KICKER... Also Memphis Pr's are equal to comps, true that. And I have owned those 2... I have owned cvr's and vx's.... You name it.... But dont judge a subwoofer on its price... Memphis pr's are by no means $hitty subwoofers nor are kicker comps... Yes the lowest priced subwoofers each brand makes but not bad subwoofers.... And what is gr8 about emm is that you can put emm in a best buy box and bang away with a smile in your face... Not everyone has the time nor money for custom built boxes. I am not against custom built boxes nor saying its not a big part of the system. Just saying some people are looking for a basic set up... Why confuse emm with $hit they dont need to know.. I am not bragging on how much I know. Like I said, I wont get too technicall here... One thing I have learned in this car audio business... is some one always has theyre theory on things and theyre beliefs... I just keep thinking and doing what I do and they can keeping doing what they do... :D
This is all ture now... Maybe you should have stated that your were meaning to talk about DVC speakers. All you said was 2 4ohm speakers. Not 2 dual 4ohm speakers...etc

By no means do i mean that a cheap speaker is a bad, or that an expensive speaker means its good. I have sold, worked with, installed, and played with both the PR's and comps. Was i happy with either? Honestly, no. Not for me. They both had good mid response, and the acoustics was ok, but the bottom end was just lacking horribly. I know of some other similarly priced speakers that performed better.

The statement about just slappin it in a bestbuy box and being happy, is all up to the listener. Personally i hate them All of them. If its a mainstream off the shelf box, i dont want it. I have never seen or heard of one with any decent build or tune quality. Thats why i build my own boxes for myself, and all my customers.

And please, link me to some 12" compVX's for $150 that will come with kickers warranty! I personally get them cheaper, but were can the joe shmo get them for that cheap?

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
pbasil1;1117148 said:
This is all ture now... Maybe you should have stated that your were meaning to talk about DVC speakers. All you said was 2 4ohm speakers. Not 2 dual 4ohm speakers...etc

By no means do i mean that a cheap speaker is a bad, or that an expensive speaker means its good. I have sold, worked with, installed, and played with both the PR's and comps. Was i happy with either? Honestly, no. Not for me. They both had good mid response, and the acoustics was ok, but the bottom end was just lacking horribly. I know of some other similarly priced speakers that performed better.

The statement about just slappin it in a bestbuy box and being happy, is all up to the listener. Personally i hate them All of them. If its a mainstream off the shelf box, i dont want it. I have never seen or heard of one with any decent build or tune quality. Thats why i build my own boxes for myself, and all my customers.

And please, link me to some 12" compVX's for $150 that will come with kickers warranty! I personally get them cheaper, but were can the joe shmo get them for that cheap?

I am sorry, I did not mention that I was talking about dual voice coil subwoofers.. My fault for the confusion... And as for as the not being satisfied with the Pr's... That is all you, I have met people who have laughed emm off and said they are garbage.. I have had people say they are gr8 subwoofers... Me personally, I loved them... Just sum bout having cost efficient subwoofers that set off alarms from the street not just when you roll right by one in parking lot.. Looks and so On... But yeah, its all in ones opinion... And as far as Boxes go, No comments... Too many specifications on certain subwoofers.. All I have to say is, if you looking for basic bump, basic sq or basic spl... Just get a nice pre-fab box... Save your money, save yourself a headache with numbers trying to build one... A decent prefab box and a subwoofer set up the right way with the right kind of amp and wiring will make most happy... I can even take two Jensen subwoofers Or Old Profile Baja subwoofers and make emm them bump nicely...If you can afford and do want top of the line audio... then I would highly recommend to go to a shop like your's.. I know a guy with licence, and a few guys with shops who get emm straight from Kicker or w/e brand they want.. :D

Last edited:

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Sside;1116893 said:
Okay 1st of all, It has everything to do with Supra Audio, It is about choosing a subwoofer for a Supra.... Not about a chevy, Go back and read Plz... 2nd of all Your input has nothing to do with Supra audio... It is an opinion on your prefenrence... And I have nothing against your opinion for I respect it but dont call some one elses choice for sound retarded because you are going up against a BIG fan base of People Who Love theyre systems LOUD... SPL competetion LOUD. I am not gonna come here and get technical on frequencies and all this wizdom you try and show off.. I know it too, believe me... I wont start an argument and I am not even being defensive, I am just stating why your post was pointless to this thread...

I thought i made it sound as simple as possible. Sorry if it sounded technical to you. Next time i'll make sure i sound even more simplistic. I never called your choices retarded either. So don't put words in my mouth, just read carefully. And to sum up, it does not seem that you would know that every cars interior is different. Details like upholstery materials, body style, level of sound insulation, and even the incline of the windshield will influence the character of the sound systems. So, one sub in Chevy will not sound the same in Supra. Thus, this example is irrelevant. I'm really loosing interest in all this. Don't be aggressive like you are, i didn't come here take you down or to show off ( I've always posted in very simple maner). If you feel like i'm a threat, thats all you. Believe you me, i really take no pleasure or pride in discussing how to wire a DVC sub. I'm a little past wiring in general.

P.S. You want to show SLP? bring some numbers, not panel flex.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Pernilongo;1117276 said:
I thought i made it sound as simple as possible. Sorry if it sounded technical to you. Next time i'll make sure i sound even more simplistic. I never called your choices retarded either. So don't put words in my mouth, just read carefully. And to sum up, it does not seem that you would know that every cars interior is different. Details like upholstery materials, body style, level of sound insulation, and even the incline of the windshield will influence the character of the sound systems. So, one sub in Chevy will not sound the same in Supra. Thus, this example is irrelevant. I'm really loosing interest in all this. Don't be aggressive like you are, i didn't come here take you down or to show off ( I've always posted in very simple maner). If you feel like i'm a threat, thats all you. Believe you me, i really take no pleasure or pride in discussing how to wire a DVC sub. I'm a little past wiring in general.

P.S. You want to show SLP? bring some numbers, not panel flex.

I am not being aggressive at all, I just didnt see the need for "I totaly see someone from JackAss movie listen to smth like that and laugh afterwards like a retard because his ears are bleeding". I dont think some one who owns a slab down here in Houston would like that comment... I personally know alot of them. Still, I am sorry If I sounded aggressive... I was not. And really, you are no threat because this is not a competetion of who knows more then the other. I rather walk away then to get into an argument of such kind... All I was doing with vid was showing him the Pr's I had... Nothing to do with how they were gonna sound in his car... It would be a completely diffrent set up from almost every way you can think of... Yes I agree, all cars are diffrent and that was a truck... Please dont state what I know or dont... And I wont even go further then that.. All I was doing was trying to help beachsupra choose a subwoofer for his car in a basic non confusing way. And 2nd that passed wiring a subwoofer... Thats why I been saying it over and over I do not wish to get technical aka detail, facts, numbers, dimension, air space, ohm laws, and so on. Been there, done that and its a pain. Here, I am new to supramania/supra world and do not wish enemies over car audio theorys an biliefs soo I extend my cyber hand to you...

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
pbasil1;1116187 said:
If you must ahve kicker, and want it clean, go for a cvx. I had one in my old truck and was quite pleased with the results... But its much more than $200

like Pernilongo said, sealed is going to be the way to go. For most 12" subs i recommend a sealed box about 1-1.5 cu/ft...

Since you have the small budget of 200 for the sub, i think you would be pretty happy with a Resonant engineering SR 12, Image Dynamics ID 12, Eclipse SW7200, MB quart PWE series, Mmats P3, or an MTX thunder or the new TR line 7500 series.

Some of those subs needs big amps, some need mid sized amps... i dont know what your budget is for the amp, but keep in mind 99% of the time the amp will cost more than the speaker its powering!

thanks!!:icon_razz i will deff go check those out

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
beachsupra;1117347 said:
skipping mine and
^
^
^
^
^
^
:sleep:

jk thanks for the help.soooo i want the 2 10 in cvx's i should get 4 ohm .A custom box been stressed enough.....what kinda amp will i need to power those redicioulous numders 1200 x2!!

this is where i plan on gettin the subs free shipping too http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=16853

1st off, you will need a 1ohm stable amp :p... and you dont need 2,400 watt amp lol... Vx's are not 1,200 watts actually, they are 600 watts rms so thats the number we are looking at... Here are some links to amps you can use going from cheapest to most expensive...

http://www.amazon.com/Hifonics-600W..._3?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1220111638&sr=8-3

http://www.ubid.com/Kicker_ZX15001_ZX_Series_1500W_RMS_Mono_Block_Car_Amplifier/a11288238.html

http://www.amazon.com/1800-WATT-Dig...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220111638&sr=8-16

I didnt really take too much time to give more links, and brands... There are just soo many out there.. And looks/brand might might also weight in on your choice... Do you have any preferred brands? and how much you looking to spend roughly.. There are just too many amps out there that can power those subwoofers and not break the bank... :) If you want more amps/links let me know and ill make a good list for ya... Or look for 1 yourself, what you have to look at is the output watts rms in 1 ohm... You can dance around 600 rms and get a quality brand amp under that... For example, I much rather have a 300 watt kicker amp then 1800watt Pioneer amp. Just try not to go too low... Alot of amps, like the 1st one of the links arent going to be accurate... No way it is a true 600 rms for the price but It should power those vx's... In case the budget is low it could be an option...

Last edited:

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
Sside;1117398 said:
1st off, you will need a 1ohm stable amp :p... and you dont need 2,400 watt amp lol... Vx's are not 1,200 watts actually, they are 600 watts rms so thats the number we are looking at... Here are some links to amps you can use going from cheapest to most expensive...

http://www.amazon.com/Hifonics-600W..._3?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1220111638&sr=8-3

http://www.ubid.com/Kicker_ZX15001_ZX_Series_1500W_RMS_Mono_Block_Car_Amplifier/a11288238.html

http://www.amazon.com/1800-WATT-Dig...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220111638&sr=8-16

I didnt really take too much time to give more links, and brands... There are just soo many out there.. And looks/brand might might also weight in on your choice... Do you have any preferred brands? and how much you looking to spend roughly.. There are just too many amps out there that can power those subwoofers and not break the bank... :) If you want more amps/links let me know and ill make a good list for ya... Or look for 1 yourself, what you have to look at is the output watts rms in 1 ohm... You can dance around 600 rms and get a quality brand amp under that... For example, I much rather have a 300 watt kicker amp then 1800watt Pioneer amp. Just try not to go too low... Alot of amps, like the 1st one of the links arent going to be accurate... No way it is a true 600 rms for the price but It should power those vx's... In case the budget is low it could be an option...

so sside what will a single 600watt rms amp will fully power 2 10 in cvx's? or will i need a 1200 watt rms watt amp?the brand of amp i want is hifonics could you show me a link to a hifonics that will fully power my 2 cvx's ,in one amp.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
beachsupra;1118096 said:
so sside what will a single 600watt rms amp will fully power 2 10 in cvx's? or will i need a 1200 watt rms watt amp?the brand of amp i want is hifonics could you show me a link to a hifonics that will fully power my 2 cvx's ,in one amp.

A 600 watt rms 1ohm stable amp will fully power both cvx's... Like I said you can dance around it with lower rms or higher... but lets try and not to go too low or too high... Here are some of the Hifonics amps links you can use for those subwoofers..

http://www.hifonicsshop.com/product/BXi 606
http://www.hifonicsshop.com/product/BXi 1206D

I think these 2 are your best options as far as Hifonics amps... One is 600rms and the other is 1200rms.... Now none of these are actually pushing those rms in reality but either way the 1200 rms is over kill for 2 10's vx's unless you plan on getting something stronger in the future... I personally would go for the 600 rms hifonics amp... The Brutus Bxi 606, soo just do your shopping and look for a good deal on the that Model... Any more questions? just let me know... :D

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Sside;1117329 said:
I am not being aggressive at all, I just didnt see the need for "I totaly see someone from JackAss movie listen to smth like that and laugh afterwards like a retard because his ears are bleeding". I dont think some one who owns a slab down here in Houston would like that comment... I personally know alot of them. Still, I am sorry If I sounded aggressive... I was not. And really, you are no threat because this is not a competetion of who knows more then the other. I rather walk away then to get into an argument of such kind... All I was doing with vid was showing him the Pr's I had... Nothing to do with how they were gonna sound in his car... It would be a completely diffrent set up from almost every way you can think of... Yes I agree, all cars are diffrent and that was a truck... Please dont state what I know or dont... And I wont even go further then that.. All I was doing was trying to help beachsupra choose a subwoofer for his car in a basic non confusing way. And 2nd that passed wiring a subwoofer... Thats why I been saying it over and over I do not wish to get technical aka detail, facts, numbers, dimension, air space, ohm laws, and so on. Been there, done that and its a pain. Here, I am new to supramania/supra world and do not wish enemies over car audio theorys an biliefs soo I extend my cyber hand to you...

It's not like no one is LA owns a : "slab" is it? My best bud has two 12 solobarics in his 4runner with 7 cu.f. box. My other bud runs two 12 TC sounds in his 350z. Moreover, if you visualize east LA what do you expect to see? They don't use 8" subs. I would really like to know how you arrived at Houston issue? I personally haven't been to Texas, but i notices that you boys make it a Texas issue what ever the argument is. It's like "we don't like it that way here". What have i ever said about Texas, Houston, Wisconsin, or Florida, or Honduras? I even seen slabs in Ripon, WI. And back to the point. The jackass movie thing wasn't meant as an insult. I tell my friend openly that his choice of subs is retarded, it doesn't prevent us from hanging out and be friends. Just last week he blew his Orion components trying to impress some girl. How is this not retarded. If you want to go in depth about what i meant PM me. No reason to fight for a place on this forum. We can all learn from each other respectfully by the means of constructive criticisms. Its the shortcomings of the forum-type communication maybe, but comments here are not personal in most cases, but rather general and idealistic. Take it easy, absorb what you can from others. Unless you are hopping to be seen as an expert and post in this style. There are alot of guys here that come from a very different schools of car audio. Take me for example, what i know is only maybe 30% similar to a classic American car audio school and it goes well beyond SPL and SQ differences. I also readily admit if someone has done better than me. ;)
Peace

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Pernilongo;1119044 said:
It's not like no one is LA owns a : "slab" is it? My best bud has two 12 solobarics in his 4runner with 7 cu.f. box. My other bud runs two 12 TC sounds in his 350z. Moreover, if you visualize east LA what do you expect to see? They don't use 8" subs. I would really like to know how you arrived at Houston issue? I personally haven't been to Texas, but i notices that you boys make it a Texas issue what ever the argument is. It's like "we don't like it that way here". What have i ever said about Texas, Houston, Wisconsin, or Florida, or Honduras? I even seen slabs in Ripon, WI. And back to the point. The jackass movie thing wasn't meant as an insult. I tell my friend openly that his choice of subs is retarded, it doesn't prevent us from hanging out and be friends. Just last week he blew his Orion components trying to impress some girl. How is this not retarded. If you want to go in depth about what i meant PM me. No reason to fight for a place on this forum. We can all learn from each other respectfully by the means of constructive criticisms. Its the shortcomings of the forum-type communication maybe, but comments here are not personal in most cases, but rather general and idealistic. Take it easy, absorb what you can from others. Unless you are hopping to be seen as an expert and post in this style. There are alot of guys here that come from a very different schools of car audio. Take me for example, what i know is only maybe 30% similar to a classic American car audio school and it goes well beyond SPL and SQ differences. I also readily admit if someone has done better than me. ;)
Peace

I am far away from being an expert in car audio, no matter how much one knows or thinks they know there is always more to learn... I am not fighting with you for a place... I do not want to be a car audio expert nor am I. Reason I bring up Houston is due to the popularity of slabs here and the guys who own emm want 15's and would not like theyre idea of car audio to be called retarded... Never said Cali is SQ oriented.... there are bass heads everywere... That is your FRIEND you are talking about... I told my friend his gf was ugly... He laughed it off and said F u... I said F it she is... He said w/e I said ight then... Then we went out and chilled for a little bit.. Now tell some one you dont know theyre wife or gf is ugly... Some will not give a $hit and some will be like WTF is wrong with you? Dont have to dissrespect like that... Same with ones car, audio preference and even sports preference,I took it as insult, I love spl.... but w/e its your opinion... I dont care. I wont pm you because there is nothing to pm you about.. This has gotten way out of hand as is for nothing.. We dont agree and thats that. Its a forum... If you cant handle others views then why even waste time... So i guess its fine, you have yours and I have mine.. nobody gets hurt. Its dropped.. Im not mad, just annoyed by why am I still having to try and explain to you the fact that some people would be offended by your statement. Like I said, Im done. Just dont mind me...

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
If you want an amp to accuratley power 2 CVX 10's, its not going to be very cheap. As i stated earlier, the amps going to be more than the speakers. Hifonics, well new hifonics that is, avoid. They are very dirty amps. I have yet to install one that hasnt just fried the speakers they power from them clipping so badly. MA audio really depends, I dont like much from them, some of the bigger amps have a decent value, but are still no where near what they are rated. So are the kicker amps. The new ZX line from kicker are all about 40% over rated from what i have seen on all the birth tickets in the boxes from kicker. So in all honesty i dont even recommend the kicker amps unless you go big. Like a 1000.1 or bigger just for your 2 10" CVX's.

Here are some links to what i think would be better choices for your subs. They are in no particular order, just listed as i think of them.

http://woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6019
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=165
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4224
If i had the cash right now i would grab the audison my self!
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6865
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2617
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=377
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5322
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5360

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
pbasil1;1119303 said:
If you want an amp to accuratley power 2 CVX 10's, its not going to be very cheap. As i stated earlier, the amps going to be more than the speakers. Hifonics, well new hifonics that is, avoid. They are very dirty amps. I have yet to install one that hasnt just fried the speakers they power from them clipping so badly. MA audio really depends, I dont like much from them, some of the bigger amps have a decent value, but are still no where near what they are rated. So are the kicker amps. The new ZX line from kicker are all about 40% over rated from what i have seen on all the birth tickets in the boxes from kicker. So in all honesty i dont even recommend the kicker amps unless you go big. Like a 1000.1 or bigger just for your 2 10" CVX's.

Here are some links to what i think would be better choices for your subs. They are in no particular order, just listed as i think of them.

http://woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6019
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=165
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4224
If i had the cash right now i would grab the audison my self!
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6865
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2617
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=377
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5322
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5360

Hey pbasil, do you know if this amp right here that you showed him is the same thing as an Empire amp? http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5322 This looks just like it but I dont know if the internals are the same... I have used empire amps before and personally I think they bang hard for the $$$.... But empire amps are cheap while these arent... These are expensive ass hell .. Just wondering :D

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Sside;1119315 said:
Hey pbasil, do you know if this amp right here that you showed him is the same thing as an Empire amp? http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5322 This looks just like it but I dont know if the internals are the same... I have used empire amps before and personally I think they bang hard for the $$$.... But empire amps are cheap while these arent... These are expensive ass hell .. Just wondering :D

I dont know much about empire. I guess its a possibility that they buy direct from US amps, though im pretty sure US Amps doesnt do that. I personally own this amp, and i am pretty happy with it. It has suited my needs well, but im in need of a bigger amp with a better freq. response. Im looking hard into the big Audison monoblocks, or the AX line from US Amps. I really want a Class A or A/B mono block, just dont have the cash right now cause these damn 1jz's are so damned expensive to fix up!

These amps are expensive. A good amp will never be chaep, and infact can often times be the single most expensive part or a system. A poor amp will cause you nothing but trouble.... It will likely clip and fry the speaker, which happens all too often, and the less knowledgeable people think its just cause the amp is too powerful. When really it was either too small or just of very poor quality. Invest in a quality amp, and you have a good amp for life. Plus it will give you room to grow with your different tastes. It will have ample power for spl if you wish, or you can run it smoothly in an sq setup.

Investing in an amp is like investing in a strong bottom end before you bolt on a large single turbo. If you have a weak bottom end, then thats the bottleneck of the system and will fail or cause other failures, but if you invest well, it will out live all other parts, and serve you for years to come.

Last edited: