ok......... what 12 in sub should i get alpine srw or kicker cvx

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
pbasil1;1119398 said:
I dont know much about empire. I guess its a possibility that they buy direct from US amps, though im pretty sure US Amps doesnt do that. I personally own this amp, and i am pretty happy with it. It has suited my needs well, but im in need of a bigger amp with a better freq. response. Im looking hard into the big Audison monoblocks, or the AX line from US Amps. I really want a Class A or A/B mono block, just dont have the cash right now cause these damn 1jz's are so damned expensive to fix up!

These amps are expensive. A good amp will never be chaep, and infact can often times be the single most expensive part or a system. A poor amp will cause you nothing but trouble.... It will likely clip and fry the speaker, which happens all too often, and the less knowledgeable people think its just cause the amp is too powerful. When really it was either too small or just of very poor quality. Invest in a quality amp, and you have a good amp for life. Plus it will give you room to grow with your different tastes. It will have ample power for spl if you wish, or you can run it smoothly in an sq setup.

Investing in an amp is like investing in a strong bottom end before you bolt on a large single turbo. If you have a weak bottom end, then thats the bottleneck of the system and will fail or cause other failures, but if you invest well, it will out live all other parts, and serve you for years to come.

When younger I had alot of problems with amps, Fried a few subwoofers... Always said $hitty subwoofers... Even thou I was not using bad ones... Just your good oh Kicker comps... Even CVR's... Took me a while to figure it all out. I heard from a buddy once that empire was made by some guy with other compony and that he even knew the owner of the compony, said they were American amps but I was not paying attention nor did I care at the time. I dont know what he ment by American amps... I have banged a 2,200 watt max Empire amp = to wut? 300 rms maybe? and I have been absolutely delighted with it... It has powered everything I have thrown at it... Good oh Buddy Matt(A true car Audio expert) said that baby could power 4 of my pr's and not break a sweat... I would use that amp for vx's in confindence, but in that case.... Look at this Beachsupra
http://www.amamax.com/fshememsialc1.html
http://www.amamax.com/fshememsialc2.html
The empire amp's are alot cheaper, yet have one of the most simple designs.. but make up with reliability and power... Hifonic amps arent bad and I doubt they will blow those Vx's... But you should do your homework online on those hifonic amps... Search reviews, see wat kind of subwoofers people match emm with... Even youtube emm, w/e to get your info... Power Acoustik makes Good looking and more then Decent amps... Ill post some links to Power Acoustik amps l8r... :D Class starts... NOW!!!

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Lol i have seen what hifonics do to subs... I could care less about anything maxxsonics makes now days. Back in the day, yes they were great, but times change. Same with power acoustic. Back in the day, yes, but now, they are like audiobahn and care more about flashy looks than anything.

That empire amp has some good features it looks like, but i can assure you, they are well over rated. Just do your math... 3000w rms on a 60 amp fuse? lol not gonna happen! I wouldnt expect anything more than 500w rms out of the amp. and thats with a very conservative calculation....And looking at that site other products, they sell mostly junk and older equipment. Is that the only place that sells them?

Again, a nice amp just simply wont be cheap, there is no way around it!

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
pbasil1;1119614 said:
Lol i have seen what hifonics do to subs... I could care less about anything maxxsonics makes now days. Back in the day, yes they were great, but times change. Same with power acoustic. Back in the day, yes, but now, they are like audiobahn and care more about flashy looks than anything.

That empire amp has some good features it looks like, but i can assure you, they are well over rated. Just do your math... 3000w rms on a 60 amp fuse? lol not gonna happen! I wouldnt expect anything more than 500w rms out of the amp. and thats with a very conservative calculation....And looking at that site other products, they sell mostly junk and older equipment. Is that the only place that sells them?

Again, a nice amp just simply wont be cheap, there is no way around it!

I get my empire amps from a friend for little hustles soo I can make some extra cash lol. I get emm for like 70$ to 100$ depending on wich one... And that site seems to be the only site that sells them. Empire might be the way to go for him if he cant afford the other amps. 500 rms? lol I didnt think they even went up that high. I was guessing 300 rms. Still 500 true rms is nothing to joke with. If you can deliver that to those vx's his system should sound gr8..

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
2 VX 10's need more than 250 rms each... I used to ahve one and i was giving it an hones 580-620w rms and it performed phenomenally. I did try a smaller amp on it at the time, and could telly it was being under powered. CVX's arent tiny little subs, even the 10's...

Hes gonna need an honest 800-1000w rms to really keep the CVX's safe and happy.

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
pbasil1;1121130 said:
2 VX 10's need more than 250 rms each... I used to ahve one and i was giving it an hones 580-620w rms and it performed phenomenally. I did try a smaller amp on it at the time, and could telly it was being under powered. CVX's arent tiny little subs, even the 10's...

Hes gonna need an honest 800-1000w rms to really keep the CVX's safe and happy.

so will the subs need 800-1000 each or 800-1000 for both?

wtf!!!!! is up with that list i cant afford those amps!! all i got is 300 for everything.subs and all

Cravin Boost

MMMM Smells like coolant
Nov 8, 2005
Eugene OR
Hmm interesting thread.

I am running a HK 150 watt amp and a diamond D3 12" sub (2hm dual voice coil) run in series so putting a 4 Ohm load on the AMP.

I'm running it in a 2CF ported box (its tuned)

now when we were tunign the system on install had a neighbor from 5 houses down the street come complain that it was shaking their windows. I had a kicker in mind when we first strted the build but went looking and bought the diamond and kicked the kicker to the curb. very happy I did that. the sytem sounds great coule use an 8 to fill in the mid bass but Im happy as it sits. the system is more about the knowlege of the person designing it than the equipment as I saw posted erlier I have seen sytems built with all top doller gear sound like ass because they just stuck the most powerfulkl amp they could find in it and I have seen some small systems rock the house because they were DESIGNED for the space they are going to be used in. My sub enclosure is made out of Sewer Pipe and MDF :)

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Cravin Boost;1121611 said:
Hmm interesting thread.

I am running a HK 150 watt amp and a diamond D3 12" sub (2hm dual voice coil) run in series so putting a 4 Ohm load on the AMP.

now when we were tunign the system on install had a neighbor from 5 houses down the street come complain that it was shaking their windows. I had a kicker in mind when we first strted the build but went looking and bought the diamond and kicked the kicker to the curb. very happy I did that. the sytem sounds great coule use an 8 to fill in the mid bass but Im happy as it sits. the system is more about the knowlege of the person designing it than the equipment as I saw posted erlier I have seen sytems built with all top doller gear sound like ass because they just stuck the most powerfulkl amp they could find in it and I have seen some small systems rock the house because they were DESIGNED for the space they are going to be used in. My sub enclosure is made out of Sewer Pipe and MDF :)

True words. I have sewer pipe port in my 8" sub set up just because PP (precision port) doesn't make anything that long and I physically feel the bass in my supra standing 7-10 feet away. this little sub produces 117 db with 300 RMS. Diamond subs are very underrated here.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Cravin Boost;1121611 said:
Hmm interesting thread.

You are correct, its really all about the build, and maximizing the abilities of the equipment at hand. You dont have to buy the biggest and best stuff in the world to have good, or loud music, what ever your taste is, small affordable equipment will often make many people happy.

But when you go big from the beginning, you have to stay big. You cant just buy a massive sub, and throw it on a 100w amp. It just wont sound right, and youll probably just clip the hell out of the amp and fry the sub even though its rated to handle 2000watts more than what the amp can provide. It all has to come together as one, and your limiting factor will be the bottle neck.

You wouldnt strap a T70 on your motor, and then use 2" exhaust and 440cc injectors and expect a track monster...

Pernilongo;1121659 said:
True words. I have sewer pipe port in my 8" sub set up just because PP (precision port) doesn't make anything that long and I physically feel the bass in my supra standing 7-10 feet away. this little sub produces 117 db with 300 RMS. Diamond subs are very underrated here.
Diamond makes great subs, and some good amps too, just not one of my top picks.... Though i would have no problem recommending them!

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
beachsupra;1121560 said:
so will the subs need 800-1000 each or 800-1000 for both?

wtf!!!!! is up with that list i cant afford those amps!! all i got is 300 for everything.subs and all

800-1000w rms for both combined, anout 400-500wrms each sub at the minimum.

Why the expensive list? You chose some big subs, so guess what, you need big power for them. If you have that small of a budget for both the amp and the sub, then my suggestion to you is to suck it up and keep saving. $300 is the starting price for any decent amp on the market. Most 200-300w rms amps start around that price.

I know of an amazing sale on a beasty 13" sub and a monoblock, but its still $450 on sale. Then the box and wiring would be another $150 or so unless you can build a good box on your own..

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Yes those subs have very hight RMS rating. This attracts alot of buyers. Nevertheless, high RMS rating comes at the expense of sensitivity ( in the majority of cases). Your subs will need alot of power to move because of the way they are made. Pretty much you need to provide alot of power to achieve the same sound level as a sub with lower RMS rating but with high sensitivity. High sensitivity-low RMS doesn't mean not loud, it means it needs less power to move. Heavy needs more power, light needs less. Hope it makes sense.

Pbasi1 gave you a great list with amps that will be able to move those subs. Go with smth cheaper or less power and you'll have poor results. Design your system ahead acoording to all your variables and you won't encounter missmatches.

Last edited:

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Beachsupra, go ahead and get the subwoofers and then save for the amp man... Be patient so that in the end you will be satisfied... 300 bucks for subwoofer and amp can berely get you a nice set of Kicker comps but you are buying some of the most expensive subwoofers Kicker has to offer. Prices have gone down on those now but I used to see those subwoofer at 280$ a peace just before christmas. You are gonna need atleast double your budget (for both amp and subwoofers) to get them going... :(

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
Pernilongo;1122634 said:
Yes those subs have very hight RMS rating. This attracts alot of buyers. Nevertheless, high RMS rating comes at the expense of sensitivity ( in the majority of cases). Your subs will need alot of power to move because of the way they are made. Pretty much you need to provide alot of power to achieve the same sound level as a sub with lower RMS rating but with high sensitivity. High sensitivity-low RMS doesn't mean not loud, it means it needs less power to move. Heavy needs more power, light needs less. Hope it makes sense.

Pbasi1 gave you a great list with amps that will be able to move those subs. Go with smth cheaper or less power and you'll have poor results. Design your system ahead acoording to all your variables and you won't encounter missmatches.

i guess i will have to vist some pawn shops:biglaugh: 4 my amp .are the heavy subs* your talking about the 10 in cvx's? i went to a local stereo shop an picked up like 5 10-12 in subs and they were all pretty heavy but when i picked up the kicker it was suprisingly lightweight?i just came back from a car show and kickers sound awsome !!:love: proab my set up is gona be 2 10 cvx's or 1 12.

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
Sside;1122845 said:
Beachsupra, go ahead and get the subwoofers and then save for the amp man... Be patient so that in the end you will be satisfied... 300 bucks for subwoofer and amp can berely get you a nice set of Kicker comps but you are buying some of the most expensive subwoofers Kicker has to offer. Prices have gone down on those now but I used to see those subwoofer at 280$ a peace just before christmas. You are gonna need atleast double your budget (for both amp and subwoofers) to get them going... :(

onlinecarstereo.com sells 10 in cvx's for 160 a piece.im gona get my sub new and save up for a good amp or i might find some gold at the pawn shop.one of my friend who sells car audio told me when he was 16 his best envestment was a set of subs and amp from a pawn shop.hes 20 sumthin now

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
beachsupra;1122935 said:
i guess i will have to vist some pawn shops:biglaugh: 4 my amp .are the heavy subs* your talking about the 10 in cvx's? i went to a local stereo shop an picked up like 5 10-12 in subs and they were all pretty heavy but when i picked up the kicker it was suprisingly lightweight?i just came back from a car show and kickers sound awsome !!:love: proab my set up is gona be 2 10 cvx's or 1 12.

Heavy and light was an analogy for the ability to convert current into sound. Pretty much how much you need of one to make how much of the other. You are thinking about the physical weight of the magnet in oz or pounds. There are different types of magnets manufacturers use for motor structures to create magnetic field. Some are lighter than the others. Weight and size of the magnet is more important for controlling the cone movement by means of amount of magnetic field. Plus the material and design of the cone, basket, and other components influence the weight in lb. Sorry didn't make it clear.

I wish you luck with your sound system.

P.S. Check for working order of your components beforehand if you do buy them from a pawn shop. ;)

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
beachsupra;1122941 said:
onlinecarstereo.com sells 10 in cvx's for 160 a piece.im gona get my sub new and save up for a good amp or i might find some gold at the pawn shop.one of my friend who sells car audio told me when he was 16 his best envestment was a set of subs and amp from a pawn shop.hes 20 sumthin now

Some times you can find some good stuff in a pawn shop, depending on what area the pawn is in... But hey, if you have 100 bucks for an amp... You are 200$ away from
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_22&products_id=44
Elemental has just slapped off 150$ off theyre amps because they getting rid of the the old and bringing in the new... In my Opinion, Kicker Vx's and an Elemental Nine.1 amp nicely set up in your supra would look sick and sound it too... I am even thinking of this set up for my car after seing Elemental put that amp at that price.. Dont even worry bout how many watts (but you can always check :p) its pushing lol, Trust me on this one... It Will BANG!

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Sside;1123178 said:
Some times you can find some good stuff in a pawn shop, depending on what area the pawn is in... But hey, if you have 100 bucks for an amp... You are 200$ away from
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_22&products_id=44
Elemental has just slapped off 150$ off theyre amps because they getting rid of the the old and bringing in the new... In my Opinion, Kicker Vx's and an Elemental Nine.1 amp nicely set up in your supra would look sick and sound it too... I am even thinking of this set up for my car after seing Elemental put that amp at that price.. Dont even worry bout how many watts (but you can always check :p) its pushing lol, Trust me on this one... It Will BANG!

Finally, something i agree with you on. ED is having a sale an the Nine.1 amp and the 13Av for like 450 as a set. And the 13av is about 30% more powerful and clean than a cvx. IMO, grab the set on sale while it lasts.... ED is an amazing young company!

If you go the route of a pawn shop deal, please ask about it on here before you buy. There are tons of knock offs youll find at pawn shops, plus all the third party junk... Pics will help too!

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
pbasil1;1124888 said:
Finally, something i agree with you on. ED is having a sale an the Nine.1 amp and the 13Av for like 450 as a set. And the 13av is about 30% more powerful and clean than a cvx. IMO, grab the set on sale while it lasts.... ED is an amazing young company!

If you go the route of a pawn shop deal, please ask about it on here before you buy. There are tons of knock offs youll find at pawn shops, plus all the third party junk... Pics will help too!

Lol, I was looking for this amp for my car when I came upon this. One of those brands I love, along with Clarion and Memphis... Polk (speakers).. By the way I dont believe you have to spend thousands of dollars for a great system... Always challenged myself to bang hard for the $.. My 1st subwoofer was 20 bucks... a 10 inch Profile Baja subwoofer... Powered by a 340 watt Jensen amp... It actually banged hard for 100 dollar subwoofer system... Well ur, 150 rms subwoofer with an amp that got wut? 65 rms bridged maybe? Those went toghther like bread and butter :D.... I wish I still had that little subwoofer.. :( got me thru ma 2nd year in high...

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Figit090;1125211 said:
what about craigslist? you could look for a good USED amp...no?

i think i need to....
Thats a good start, but whats even better is the audio forums... www.Talkaudio.co.uk , www.diymobileaudio.com ... they are a good place to start looking for amazing used equipment...

I may be letting go of my amp very soon to try and get one of the Audison monoblocks i linked earlier. I would be dumb not to while they are on clearance!

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
pbasil1;1125405 said:
Thats a good start, but whats even better is the audio forums... www.Talkaudio.co.uk , www.diymobileaudio.com ... they are a good place to start looking for amazing used equipment...

I may be letting go of my amp very soon to try and get one of the Audison monoblocks i linked earlier. I would be dumb not to while they are on clearance!

What amp do you have?