oilpan issues

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
got my new oilpan and wanted to put in it on but the pifg is a beech to take out, meaning the old pan wont even budge. i try flathead and hammers, pry bar, etc. nothing seems to work so what is left that i miss? please help so i can swap my pan asap..

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Look at the side of the block that has the holes that overlap the oil pan. Insert either small prybar that fits in the hole, or large screwdriver. Pry oil pan downwards from both locations while inserting smaller screwdrivers to hole the pan away from the block while you re-set the prybars. Slowly inch your way over until half the pan is free, then work your way to the other side.

Think of it like this: FIPG has great resistance to sliding around when its cured (obviously), but it can be pulled apart much more easily. might help, might not. Kinda gotta do a lot of them to fully realize what that means.

Takes a little time and patitence, but it'll come. I know mine gave me a hell of a fight this last time I pulled it off, bent the heck outta the flange :(

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its going to be on there good since it prolly hasnt been removed ever. Mine was. There is little pry locations tho.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The 3Bond 1207b I use could be run without bolts after it's cured...

Total PITA to get a steel pan off, Bio's method will work if you have a helper to hold the wood while you smack it with a "FBH" and there's less chance of destroying the Pan rails.

Be nice if someone made an LS style pan gasket for the 7M.

lsx030.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1763167 said:
The 3Bond 1207b I use could be run without bolts after it's cured...

Total PITA to get a steel pan off, Bio's method will work if you have a helper to hold the wood while you smack it with a "FBH" and there's less chance of destroying the Pan rails.

Be nice if someone made an LS style pan gasket for the 7M.

Well what are you waiting for sir? ;)

I'd even suggest a 4x4, try to spread some of that impact out. Nobody likes a dented oil pan. What about a razor knife, anyone try that method?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
te72;1763354 said:
Well what are you waiting for sir? ;)

I'd even suggest a 4x4, try to spread some of that impact out. Nobody likes a dented oil pan. What about a razor knife, anyone try that method?

Cos I don't own a 7M and I do own 2x LS's :p

Not sure if there's a big enough gap to get a blade in there as the stamped pan has a raised centre ridge.

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
Lol. I went today and was like "omfg" wrong part all this time. I meant to say sump not oilpan lol. But anyways i got it off. I miss like 8 bolt thats actually inside and u gotta take off the pan to see. Thanks tho guys. Thanks very much