Oiling Issue

m1supra

Am I home yet
Jul 16, 2007
Sadr `Arafat, Wasit, Iraq, Iraq
I just rebuilt my engine. Started it and it runs fine. I was checking over my gauges and reliezed my oil pressure was way high like 100 psi at idle and builds to over 140 psi at 2.8k rpm.
After i noticed this. I shut down my engine and checked over the engine as far as wires and such. I noticed that it doesnt appears i an getting an oil to the top of engine and when i pulled the dipstick and the oils still looks band new like it hasnt cycled throught the motor at all.

What could be causing this a bad oil pump? a passage blocked in the head or block?:1zhelp:

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
m1supra;1354462 said:
I just rebuilt my engine. Started it and it runs fine. I was checking over my gauges and reliezed my oil pressure was way high like 100 psi at idle and builds to over 140 psi at 2.8k rpm.
After i noticed this. I shut down my engine and checked over the engine as far as wires and such. I noticed that it doesnt appears i an getting an oil to the top of engine and when i pulled the dipstick and the oils still looks band new like it hasnt cycled throught the motor at all.

What could be causing this a bad oil pump? a passage blocked in the head or block?:1zhelp:

It sounds like something is blocked it the passage way.

Have you took a valve cover off to see if oil has even reached the head yet? I would do that to confirm oil is not getting to the correct places.

m1supra

Am I home yet
Jul 16, 2007
Its a stock oil pump setup it has just been shimmed. I have pulled the valve covers off and it is completely dry everywhare on top the head. Wouldnt all the oil passages have to be block in order for oil not to reach the top of the head? and whats the chances of that?

Im trying to determine all the possable causes before having to pull the engine back out and apart again BLAH. :3d_frown:

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
m1supra;1354647 said:
Its a stock oil pump setup it has just been shimmed. I have pulled the valve covers off and it is completely dry everywhare on top the head. Wouldnt all the oil passages have to be block in order for oil not to reach the top of the head? and whats the chances of that?

Im trying to determine all the possable causes before having to pull the engine back out and apart again BLAH. :3d_frown:

How long did it run for?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
There is only 1 Oil supply to the head at the front of the block.

oilhole.jpg

m1supra

Am I home yet
Jul 16, 2007
I only run it for maybe 20-30 secs

It makes a lot more since if there is only one oil port to the head. Is there any way I can make sure it is clear other than pulling the engine back out and pulling the head off???

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Good idea to prime the pump before starting. I always have taken a cordless drill and put it on the drive gear before the belt is on and valve covers until you see oil comming up to the head.

Sounds like you have a blockage somewere if you are showing pressure on the gauge. Like IJ said pull a cap and see if it's wet. I would think you would see right away with oil sitting here and there when you pull the valve cover if it's getting to the head.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
I guess it's possible to put the HG on wrong and cover the oil hole, not saying that's what happened, if the locator pins were taken out.....

He said he's got pressure, too much.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
IJ.;1354861 said:
pull the plugs and crank it till you get pressure...... :nono:

And hope it hasn't wiped a bearing.

Bottom end should still be oiled right? I hope you used lots of assembly lube, take some pics of the cam caps when you pull them.

And if that passage is bocked...just goes to show people how much cam clearance does for oil pressure.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
IJ.;1355024 said:
Coolant would piss out everywhere if the HG was flipped AJ.

I meant crank it with a cam cover off and wait till there's pressure at the head/cam.

Guess you're right about the coolant IJ.