Oil T-stat question

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
So, I know generally that an oil thermostat redirects flow from a "bypass path" to the cooler path as it heats up.

Here's the question:

When the thermostat is closed off cold, is the oil cooler still under pressure? (Is it still connected at the cooler exit to the engine oil when the cooler path is blocked, or is the cooler path COMPLETELY cut off on both sides from the engine?)

It makes sense that it would still be connected on the exit side but I wanted to get someone else confirmation.

Reason I'm asking has to do with the feasibility of plumbing in an accusump or other secondary oil supply into the oil cooler circuit. (Would it still work when tstat is closed?)

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I believe when the t stat is closed it still flows about 10% through to the cooler.. reason being is you dont want a ton of cold oil dumping into your engine when the t stat opens.

I don't think the accusump would be a good idea past the t stat, as when the engines cold it would only be able to flow 10% to the engine..

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
To make use of the accusump it would need to be in a position to supply direct pressure to the engine. Like teed into the oil inlet on the block.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
That's what I was worried about, but I think that maybe the restriction limiting it to 10% of flow is only blocking the oil from going out to the cooler, as opposed to the other way: from the cooler back into the engine.
If you look at pictures of the standalone t-stats like this: http://jdub.supramania.com/Oil Pics/Permacool Sgl Filter Head.gif
...it looks like there is just a single valve either diverting the high pressure around the cooler loop, or directing into the cooler loop, but nothing blocking the cooler loop off on the return side, even when it's diverted (cold)

I'm hoping the one I bought (The JZ oil cooler kit from driftmotion) works in this fashion so I don't have to get another screw on adapter and relocate the filter just to have some place to plumb in an accusump

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
hvyman:

So are you with backlash? the return line from the oil cooler can't supply pressure to the engine when the tstat is cold?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
That was the only thing I could think of, but just couldn't put it to words lol. I'm terrible at explaining things..

But I wouldn't plumb it in after a t stat, and I'm sure hvyman agrees lol

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you blow a line driving hot or cold if the t stat is closed how is the accusump going to save you or attempt to if it's only limited 10% of a -10 an hose?

Under normal driving conditions on a 70~ degree day at cruise that t stay most likely won't be open.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
What I'm saying is that IF the t-stat I have works internally the way I think it does, then pumping oil into the cooler circuit would work fine, because it would always be pressurized, it just wouldn't have oil flowing through it since it becomes a "leg" of the oil system instead of a series path.

It's really tough to get it across on the forum, so I made a picture:
flow.png

If that is how they work, that would mean I shouldn't have any trouble flowing into the engine from the cooler circuit side, whether or not the tstat is opened or closed.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Even if it does work that way, you're just introducing more places of failure for your failsafe... The closer to the engine the better.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It does work like that. But pressure doesnt mean flow. And if your t stat is 180* and your oil is at 179 its hot but its not open. Run it what ever which way you want tho.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
what would you guys suggest for alternate hook up points (on a 1JZ)?
Drill and tap a hole into oil galley?
Turbo oil supply line would also be an option.
Right now I don't have a filter relocation kit so there's no line there for me to attach to, hence looking at the cooler line as a place.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
How do you have a cooler but no filter relocation? The jz oil cooler is coolant cooled.

If suggest you wait. If you had a full setup you could use a tee or a y fitting on the feed side.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
You want oil to get to the block as soon as possible, so it should be plumbed as such. If that requires relocating your oil filter, so be it.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
hvyman: I am not using the stock oil cooler, I'm using a screw-on adapter with built in tstat, and the filter goes over that.

atmperformance:
where's the fail, bud?