Oil: Royal Purple

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
With a true PAO/POE based Group IV/V synthetic (like Royal Purple), you can go 8,000 miles easy. If you do oil analysis every 3-5,000 miles and the analysis is good (no gasoline/coolant contamination and no excessive wear metals)...you can run it 15,000 miles. Change your filter (Wix is good) every 5,000 miles...filtration is very important in keeping your oil up the the task.

BTW - You could have save a little coin going with German Castrol...it's a PAO based Group IV. The bottles are black with "European Formula" in yellow on the front and "Made in Germany" on the back...it's only sold at AutoZone to my knowledge.

What weight did you buy?

Last edited:

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
jdub said:
With a true PAO based Group IV synthetic (like Royal Purple), you can go 8,000 miles easy. If you do oil analysis every 3-5,000 miles and the analysis is good (no gasoline/coolant contamination and no excessive wear metals)...you can run it 15,000 miles. Change your filter (Wix is good) every 5,000 miles...filtration is very important in keeping your oil up the the task.

BTW - You could have save a little coin going with German Castrol...it's a PAO based Group IV. The bottles are black with "European Formula" in yellow on the front and "Made in Germany" on the back...it's only sold at AutoZone to my knowledge.

What weight did you buy?
10W-40

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
I went about 8k miles on mine, and I change the filter every oil change. This oil can last AWHILE. Don't be wasteful and change it every 2-5k miles, you can get alot more out of it. There is an oil thread on here that will convince you so.

-Matt

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
yay for jdub! covered it well, sir.
Don't forget: Use good oil filters! Wix, Purolator PureOne, or Donaldson (which iirc is the maker of the pureOne filter)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
10W-40 is ok if you have a fairly high mileage motor...don't go any heavier. If you can get a 5W-40, that would be better. IMO, Redline is a better oil than Royal Purple due to the additive pack. The German Castrol is the best "bang for the buck"; it only comes in a 0W-30...it would work well, but you may have lower oil pressure than expected. That would depend on the wear in your main/rod bearings affecting clearances.

And NAPA Gold is a Wix filter ;)

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
jdub said:
10W-40 is ok if you have a fairly high mileage motor...don't go any heavier. If you can get a 5W-40, that would be better. IMO, Redline is a better oil than Royal Purple due to the additive pack. The German Castrol is the best "bang for the buck"; it only comes in a 0W-30...it would work well, but you may have lower oil pressure than expected. That would depend on the wear in your main/rod bearings affecting clearances.
Would 5W-40 be good for a JDM 7M-GE with roughly 60k miles?

-Matt

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
GotToyota? said:
Would 5W-40 be good for a JDM 7M-GE with roughly 60k miles?

-Matt

Try the German Castrol...it's actually closer to a 40W in viscosity. If it's giving you normal oil pressures, you're good to go.

Also, keep this in mind...oil does not thicken when it gets hot. It just thickens less when it gets cold...the lower number gives that info. So don't think a 0W or 5W is thin...it's not...the upper number tells you the viscosity at engine operating temperature.

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
jdub said:
Try the German Castrol...it's actually closer to a 40W in viscosity. If it's giving you normal oil pressures, you're good to go.

Also, keep this in mind...oil does not thicken when it gets hot. It just thickens less when it gets cold...the lower number gives that info. So don't think a 0W or 5W is thin...it's not...the upper number tells you the viscosity at engine operating temperature.
Cool, thanks alot. I know exactly where I get that stuff too, awesome.

-Matt

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
jdub said:

Yep. For example: 5w30.
it's 5 weight at freezing
and 30 weight at boiling.

Last edited:

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
x87SUPRA87x said:
Im using 10W-40 in my NA that has around 75,000 on it, it reads right in oil pressure area that it should be.
I'm gonna go with the 0W-30 Castrol German Formula because I believe what Jdub says (seriously).

-Matt

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
upgradedsupra said:
Amsoil is what I use along with Ron.

Duane

Excellent oil...PAO/ester base stock...a "boutique" Group IV/V blend with a very good additive pack. I just don't like their marketing technique...and the cost associated with it.

supra90turbo said:
Yep. For example: 5w30.
it's 5 weight at freezing
and 20 weight at boiling.

I'm a 100% sure this was a typo ;)
He meant to say "30"