Oil pressure sender; how necessary?

gotsomegetsome

Age Quod Agis
Mar 31, 2008
san jose
I've been searching around the forums and tsrm and as much as I can tell, the oil pressure sender's only job is to tell you the oil pressure on the gauge that lies in the cabin.

Is this true? comments?
Thanks guys

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
The ecu uses it as another source to determin engine load iirc...but I highly doubt any changes to the timing/fuel are effected by it as that's the job of the afm, tps, and o2....

Many have removed it and run fine but many have also removed an egr system....personally untill someone can really dig into the ecu and tell us why the ecu reads oil pressure I highly doubt removal of the sender will have any negitive effects.

My opinion is strictly based on ignorance of the ecu oil pressure readings...I have no clue so don't take what I say as "advice"....It makes no sense for an ecu to require an oil pressure reading unless we had a low pressure warning on the dash which we don't.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
gaboonviper85;1524883 said:
My opinion is strictly based on ignorance of the ecu oil pressure readings...I have no clue so don't take what I say as "advice"....It makes no sense for an ecu to require an oil pressure reading unless we had a low pressure warning on the dash which we don't.

Now there's a post that belongs in the Tech Section if I ever saw one. The ECU uses oil pressure for idle speed control.

gotsomegetsome

Age Quod Agis
Mar 31, 2008
san jose
gaboonviper85;1525010 said:
To install an aftermarket guage sender in it's place...who needs two oil pressure guages?

Precisely. I figure the less useless crap down there, the better, and why have two senders? Has anyone replaced one with an aftermarket unit that successfully outputs voltage along the same rate as the OEM sender?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
gotsomegetsome;1525185 said:
Precisely. I figure the less useless crap down there, the better, and why have two senders? Has anyone replaced one with an aftermarket unit that successfully outputs voltage along the same rate as the OEM sender?

Because as jetjock has so eloquently put, the TCCS uses the oil psi for idle comp. It is the same shit that occured with the EGR, just because people don't know the IMPLICATIONS of what they are removing, they just foolishly remove it without asking a very pertinent question, that being, is it affecting anything the TCCS does short term or long term. Most can not answer.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
jetjock;1525027 said:
Now there's a post that belongs in the Tech Section if I ever saw one. The ECU uses oil pressure for idle speed control.

explain this please.... not to thread jack, but i'm having idle issues that i believe to be a misadjusted TPS/bad IAC motor problem. idles arone 1800 to 2000 RPM i turn it off and restart and it idles around 1000 RPM.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
gotsomegetsome;1525185 said:

No, but I removed the sensor and added an aftermarket unit with no undesirable effects. I did notice that my car idled at 800 rpm, though that is likely a completely unrelated issue.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

89nasupra;1525203 said:
explain this please.... not to thread jack, but i'm having idle issues that i believe to be a misadjusted TPS/bad IAC motor problem. idles arone 1800 to 2000 RPM i turn it off and restart and it idles around 1000 RPM.

not your oil pressure sensor. I removed mine and the car idles at 800 rpm.

edit: badass, two replies automatically merged into one post!

87GWSupra

Rally Supra
Jan 24, 2010
Carlton, Oregon
I would just leave it. Theirs nothing wrong with factory gauge. Gets the job done. As far as cleaning stuff up a little sensor and wire isn't going to do much compared to all the other stuff under the hood.

87GWSupra

Rally Supra
Jan 24, 2010
Carlton, Oregon
Just adding an after though. If you want to go to aftermarket gauge for a more responsive and accurite readings go to mechanical use copper wire not the plastic ones they like to leak.

gotsomegetsome

Age Quod Agis
Mar 31, 2008
san jose
87GWSupra;1525568 said:
Just adding an after though. If you want to go to aftermarket gauge for a more responsive and accurite readings go to mechanical use copper wire not the plastic ones they like to leak.

yea.....I dont know about that....bringing oil into the cabin? I would rather not. Doesnt sound like the best idea to begin with.

800 vs. 750 rpm at idle, doesnt sound like its a horrible thing. Can anyone think of any long term effects that might procure over time with removing the stock sensor?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Why not just leave it alone and install the aftermarket sender in another port on the block?
(ALL in Orange will work)

ports2.jpg

87GWSupra

Rally Supra
Jan 24, 2010
Carlton, Oregon
gotsomegetsome;1525885 said:
yea.....I dont know about that....bringing oil into the cabin? I would rather not. Doesnt sound like the best idea to begin with.

800 vs. 750 rpm at idle, doesnt sound like its a horrible thing. Can anyone think of any long term effects that might procure over time with removing the stock sensor?

its safer then it sounds. True it can leak but only if installed poorly. Have mechanical on my mud drag truck works great. I just like them because their accurate and responsive. So its just a personal preference.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya but if something wears the line going into the cabin like heat, cheap hose, something rubbing on it then you got 40psi of oil ruining your interior. Electric would be a better choice.