Oil leaks I thought were gone...

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Hello all, I'm having an issue with an ever increasing oil leak that appears to be coming from the forward end of the exhaust side of the motor. (CPS ish region)

So, 1st thing was to replace the CPS external o-ring, which was about the consistency of interior hard plastic when I took it off (thought that was it). After that was to replace the leaking water pump > radiator line that I believe was caused by the oil leaking on to it. It seemed OK.

After about 6000 miles (including 2 17 hour 1100 mile trips in one shot) its losing a significant amount of oil from the same area (1/3qt in 160 miles). Enough to coat that whole corner of the motor, as well as covering half the undercover. It seems that it is being pushed around by the fan because there is no clear source, its just everywhere in a nice dirt filled film.

My question is, what else could it be in that general area causing such a large leak?

Thanks!

Last edited:

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
cheack the valve covers, the spark plug gallery bolts,

the cam seals, ,

those are the only things i can think of in that region that can leak oil,

it's not sprayin is it? then i could list more, pressure feed line for turbo, oil pressure sender, and oil galerie plugs.

if you tear into the valve covers, make sure to use silicone to get the corners up at the front of the engine, tends to be a spot it likes to leak when missed,

i have had success not doing it, but im also willing to get back into it to do it a few times..

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Well, I have all new valve cover hardware and gaskets ready to go, it just needs to go on. My cause for these is a separate problem in the back though, and it doesn't seem like the problem up from is coming from them.

Cam seals is an interesting thought. As long as its possible without showing up around the timing belt.

I don't believe its spraying, I have not thoroughly inspected it on jack stands yet so its hard to tell if its from something underneath like that.

Oh, and its in the TSRM to apply some FIPG to the front of the head for the valve covers.

Last edited:

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
mkIIIman089 said:
Oh, and its in the TSRM to apply some FIPG to the front of the head for the valve covers.

lol yeah i know, people miss it or ignore it tho,

i tend just to call any rubbering compound that comes out a squeez tube silicone, it's a bad habbit,

but ys, toyota wants you to use form in place gasket there, along with the oil pan, and a fe other area's, deck surface/ timming cover and so on

if the front cam seals were leaking it usualy goes down, but stranger things have happened so when you tear into it, check to see if you have residue/ dirt stuck to the head there.

more then likley cam covers tho and not the seal.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
possibly leaking oil lines going to the oil cooler, being blown around by the fan? ask me how i know about that one. :(

-shaeff

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
JAV - The hose on the opposite side that runs down? Besides that I had the accordion hose off the other day and there was a better then acceptable level of oil film in the port.

shaeff - I replaced all those lines about 6 months ago with new Toyota parts, when they were definitely leaking.

blue - that seal is internal I'm assuming? Would it cause the CPS to malfunction in any way if it were being contaminated with oil inside? (its on my list of things to go through already, just wondering.)

jonathan - I'll torque em down when I have the covers off, thanks!

Awesome replies! I appreciate it. :)

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
One more thing, and I don't want to worry you but I had a leak like that and it ended up being cracked rings. Just something else to consider. What it would do is blow oil back out through the air filter and dipstick. The PCV wasn't clogged either. A compression check should answer that though. Good luck.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
There's also the oil feed line to the turbo and the oil pump sensor in that general area.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Its almost certainly the exhaust cam seal. They petrify from the heat just like the CPS o-ring. Mine fell out into my hand it was so shriveled up.

You cannot verify it without removing the pulleys and the black belt cover backing plate. The oil runs down behind the plate and shows up all over the front and exhaust side of the engine. The fan blows it on the exhaust manifold and it smells, just like the petrified CPS o-ring does.

A leaking CPS internal seal drips on to the rubber L-shaped coolant hose and then onto the ground. Mine is doing it right now and will be rebuilt soon. There is a drain hole on the bottom of the CPS cover and you can run your finger around the cover to see if it is leaking. Or shove a digital camera up from underneath the accordion tube and take a picture to see if it leaking.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
3p141592654 said:
Its almost certainly the exhaust cam seal. They petrify from the heat just like the CPS o-ring. Mine fell out into my hand it was so shriveled up.

You cannot verify it without removing the pulleys and the black belt cover backing plate. The oil runs down behind the plate and shows up all over the front and exhaust side of the engine. The fan blows it on the exhaust manifold and it smells, just like the petrified CPS o-ring does.

A leaking CPS internal seal drips on to the rubber L-shaped coolant hose and then onto the ground. Mine is doing it right now and will be rebuilt soon. There is a drain hole on the bottom of the CPS cover and you can run your finger around the cover to see if it is leaking. Or shove a digital camera up from underneath the accordion tube and take a picture to see if it leaking.

Good to know, sounds like I might have to replace both then.

EDIT: Do you happen to have the number for that part? I only see the housing o-ring in the EPC.

Last edited:

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
It's definately a good idea to replace both of them. It's not a bad job at all.. and if thats the route of your leak then it's easy and well worth it!

maitai69691

Jul 24, 2005
hilo hawaii
id tack about 2 cans of brake clean and spray off as much as you can strt it on j-stands let it run for a little wile and look for any thing thats what i had to do yesterday.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I've got it covered already on the brake clean (its pretty horrible how much grime has accumulated). I don't think I'll be running it on stands though, I have a feeling it'd take an eternity for it to show.