Oil leaks I thought were gone...

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Interesting, after I got digging into it today, it was pretty apparent that the dealership who rebuilt this motor the 1st time really didn't pay too much attention to the FIPG notes in the TSRM. Surprising it didn't leak more, earlier.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
johnathan1 said:
You found the leak? Where was it?
Well, it looked like it was coming from everywhere because it was. It turned out both valve covers, both cam seals, both #1 caps and the CPS were all leaking. Not to mention the PS reservoir was leaking out of the cap and both lines (which I knew already).

So now, all thats left is the leaking CPS. I don't have enough money to replace it right now so I'm just going to have to deal with it for a little while.

Last edited:

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
MDCmotorsports said:
I know I had a PITA oil leak on the exhaust side. Turned out to be the CPS leaking internally. To date, I know not how to install a seal inside the CPS.

The CPS internal seal is not hard to replace and also a very cheap fix if it is leaking. You can also clean and check the CPS internally and replace the cap, which is also as hard as a rock or cracked. One thing that you can be sure of it is most likely rock hard after the heat, miles and age. This is a common lip seal. I purchased mine at a seal and bearing supply house, others have mentioned that it was available at NAPA or online for sure. I have seen them. I beleive the seal measures 10X6X4 MM. The size is imprinted on the side of the seal. To remove it you can use some of the CPS service steps in the TRSM, although seal replacement isn't mentioned, disasembly of the unit is. Perform a search here and you will get more info, including some steps from me. Remove the CPS and mark the position of the gear on the shaft with a pin punch. Grind the head of the drift pin holding the gear on and punch it out. Remove the gear and then the shaft. Clean this all up and then you will see the seal. Remove the old seal and install the new one. Make sure there are no burrs on the shaft, apply some oil to it and reasemble. You will now have a CPS that wont leak for another 20 years, ann the total cost is about 6 bucks for the seal and 2 bucks for cleaner. Hope this helps a little.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Personally... I'd rather just replace it. Then the whole thing is new and you know will work for another 20 years and not just not leak. ;)