oil fire....bad pictures included...

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
well, i had an oil leak from my spin on oil filter relocater so i took it off, cleaned it up and put everything back together, checked for leaks and that was that. this was friday. that very day i decided to take a trip with some friends up to boston to visit a friend in school. i found out the hard way that i should have driven my car locally around for a few days before i made a big trip with it.......

so i head up there. everything fine, except for a small water leak ihad forgotten about, i had just been adding water when it needed it. well after driving 200 some odd miles i had a large air pocket that caused my temperature to start to rise, before it got a chance to over heat i decelerated and the needle came back down instantly, whew! no over heating!

anyway, i pulled over, took a nice hoody i had brought and opened the radiator to fill it back up with water. guess i wont be wearing that during the boston blizzard that was to occur saterday.... drove up the rest of the way, no problems.

didnt drive the car at all until sunday morning when i had to get home for work at 11 AM! i left around 7 to give my self plenty of time to make it to work.

on i91 south bound, about 45 miles from the exit to i95 where i would have made the final approach home, smoke EVERYWHERE! and some nice burning plastic smell.

holy shit my cars on fire...so i pull over, wake up my friend whos sleeping in the passengers seat and tell her to "GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE CAR!!"

not knowing yet what has caused this fire i made her get a safe distance away from the car.

a few seconds pass and i realize that my dream is burning so i rush over there grab some water and a t shirt , open the hood and put the fire out.

after having busted my ass to get my car back together ( i had taken the turbo off to replace some gaskets...) i was feeling very discouraged.

got home several hours later after the tow truck came and needless to say iwas late for work.

after work i surveyed the damage which actually isnt bad at all. PCV hose burnt up, ps idle up vacuum line burnt and the o2 sensor and cps harness and clips burnt and melted.

could have been much worse.....

anyway that is why i put my motor up for sale, im STILL not sure what i want to do with the car, im gonna fix it but i am pretty tired of fixing it. i havent gotten a solid month of driving the car trouble free.

i started the car the other day and there is a MASSIVE oil leak from somewhere on the turbo side (duh), still dont know where its coming from as i havent had the time to start working on it again.

anyway, i suppose ill fix it again and see what happens, might sell it and my beater for something else, or keep it. who knows.

pictures follow, cant really see the damage, but hey everyone loves pictures right?

p84906_1.jpg

p84906_2.jpg

p84906_3.jpg

p84906_4.jpg

p84906_5.jpg

p84906_6.jpg

p84906_7.jpg

p84906_8.jpg

p84906_9.jpg

p84906_10.jpg

p84906_11.jpg

p84906_12.jpg

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
thanks for the kind words.

yeah im pretty bummed. its amazing how many different emotions this thing can bring you. ive been pretty proud of my self because i built the entire car my self, and when something like this happens it can be very discouraging.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
O man, that sucks, I'm glad it everything is better off than what it could have been.
and awesome job of the water and T-shirt that quick thinking probably saved ur car.

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
I know it sounds dumb but put in an NA. My brother who originally owned my car had the choice of turbo or na. he decided to go with the na becuase it was apparently less problematic. I put a new engine in 2.5 years ago after a bhg. I don't leak oil or burn it and don't really have many mechanical issues at all. Infact I have to say it has been quite reliable. The only problems I get is a few electrical glitches here and there but I've fixed them all. I just need to do some adjustments to my auto trans so it doesn't have hard delayed shifts.
Since I just bought myself a second car I'm waiting for my engine to go so I can to a turbo swap. for a car that I will be driving only on nice days now, reliability isn't a huge concern. I'll start building my turbo set up next fall. I like fixing things.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
Idealsupra said:
pics or ban

and yes thats all i comprehended out of all that ;)

heh sure thing. lets see what i can find......

blahhhhhhhhhhh. just wrote a long reply but i lost it cause i hit reply instead of save in the edit box.

doh!

long story short, yes i was lucky. will be fixing it sometime soon. and to suprastic, the car was NA, i pulled the NA motor out just over a year ago.

Last edited:

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
Dont want to kick you while your down,but that the thing about fixing/rebuilding our cars. Can't point the finger at anyone but ourselves. Great that no one got hurt and the car is fixable

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
GrimJack said:
Damn! At least the fire was on the mostly fireproof side. :)

Could your valve covers be leaking that much oil onto the exhaust manifold?

naw i dont think thats the problem. tho they are a bit leaky, it dosnt leak near the exhaust manifold. the leak is from a pressure source as it was spraying everywhere when i started it up the other day, and it dumped half the oil in the pan on the ground.

without looking at it yet, id say its one of the lines from the oil filter relocation and not the turbo oil feed.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
glad to hear you are okay. hope you manage to get her fixed up again. its such a shame to see all that love and work literaly go up in smoke.

mtoxracerfss

Boost Addict
Oct 8, 2005
Toledo
Smash in the front end and say someone turned in front of you and ran, then your insurance company will pay for it! :evil2: Just in idea.....prolly woulda had to call the cops on the scene tho...damn......sorry about your luck, man, that is a horrible thing to have to go through! So are you gonna part her out?

14u2c

RAFO
Mar 31, 2005
four-one-three
I know how you feel. When you put so much time into something you like, it is hard to let it go. And the supra is the only car that I would ever put so much time and effort in to. My first supra was na and now its turbo with a new owner. And the one that I have now is turbo but I’m thinking of making it na. The best years (yes I said Years) i had with my supra running were when it was na.

??supra

Mar 31, 2005
Kodiak, Alaska
hey man i am sorry to see that. that fucking sucks major. well at least like yuo said it wasnt so bad, could have been a lot worse and more tragic. how much did that tow cost, cant see that being a cheap ride home!? anyway sorry to hear, i kno how much love went in to that car as well as time. keep your head up man

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
That sucks alot, one thing I am buying for my car after I finish my rebuild is a fire extinguisher. My friend had a '87 Turbo that caught on fire and burnt everything from the firewall forward, makes me scared for my car.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
mtoxracerfss said:
Smash in the front end and say someone turned in front of you and ran, then your insurance company will pay for it! :evil2: Just in idea.....prolly woulda had to call the cops on the scene tho...damn......sorry about your luck, man, that is a horrible thing to have to go through! So are you gonna part her out?

no reason really to part it out, MAYBE sell the motor and go 1j or 2j? otherwise that motor is in great shape. has only ~3000 miles on it and runs strong.

id been meaning to get a small fire extinguisher but never got around to it, needless to say itll be there in the back seat before the car is even running again.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
??supra said:
hey man i am sorry to see that. that fucking sucks major. well at least like yuo said it wasnt so bad, could have been a lot worse and more tragic. how much did that tow cost, cant see that being a cheap ride home!? anyway sorry to hear, i kno how much love went in to that car as well as time. keep your head up man

thanks newg. i had to talk to a trooper cause on some interstates you have to use whatever county your in's tow serivce, which usually only will tow you to their impound where you will then have to pay them storage until you get it out of there. in other words its a big ass scam by whatever town youre in to get every last penny out of your bad luck.

luckily where i broke down, meridan CT they dont do that. the trooper was like, ill call the tow service for you, itll probably cost around 500 bucks. and i asked him wait, can i call my own truck? and he was like sure but itll probably cost you more than 500 to get it all the way to where youre at!

so i was like thanks officer ill push the car home before i pay 500 just to have the shitbox towed to your impound lot of perpetual money loss.

anyway stephs parents are buddy buddy with some guys at hunts point auto and they sent a truck up for me.

it costed, but no wheres near 500 bucks.

??supra

Mar 31, 2005
Kodiak, Alaska
damn that is a fucking scam. stupid fuckin city laws. bt w.e its good though it wasnt a hassle to get ur car home. hope all this shit works out for ya