Oil Filter Relocation ?

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
After riding in Scott's (Hottscennessey) 2jz NA-T MKIII, I'm seriously considering doing the swap. With his help, I'm slowly solving all the adaption problems that would need to be done.

One nagging issue that I have is the oil cooler/relocation/oil pressure/turbo feed setup.

I'm having problems finding an oil filter relocation kit that has feeds for two sensors on the block-side adapter plate. I've seen a few that have them on the remote block for the filter - but that seems akward. Anyone have a solution?

I've seen sandwich plates that have the feeds for the oil cooler and my sensors, but leave the filter in the stock location. I could live with that, but I'd like to have the relocated filter too.

C

cnewingham

You can use that sandwich plate and then thread the relocation adapter on to that. I am personally using a sandwich oil stat adapter and then the reloc. kit but mine doesnt have the 2 fittings you are looking for.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
cnewingham said:
You can use that sandwich plate and then thread the relocation adapter on to that. I am personally using a sandwich oil stat adapter and then the reloc. kit but mine doesnt have the 2 fittings you are looking for.

I had thought about that....but again, it seems akward. I'm obviously having trouble finding exactly what I want, but that would be the closest thing that I've come across.

I don't understand why you would have the fittings for the sensors on the other end of the relocation kit....

C

cnewingham

My last reloc. on my 7m had the fittings on the reloc. filter housing and it did not cause an issue at all and wasnt really awkward at all. You are ither going to have them on the sandwich plate or on the filter housing. take your pick and if you find a different way let us know as I have never seen another option other than using the original o/p outlet

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
I'm still in research mode right now, but as Scott and I have thrown some ideas around, I was thinking of using the stock O/P outlet as a turbo feed line, so I wouldn't have to run a long feed line from the sandwich plate on the Driver's side. It's looking more and more like the cheap relocation+sandwich plate is the way to go that will best fit my needs

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Chris, I'm thinking that the sandwich plate (with 1/8NPT fittings) and then the filter relocation kit on top of it will be the best. But I have another option for you to think about.

Put the 7M oil pressure sender where the stock 2JZGE sensor went (front of block intake side).

For you oil feed you could use a Lexus IS300 union bolt, which replaces the stud going through the oil filter housing. It is identical except it is threaded for 1/8NPT. You could use this as your turbo feed w/ a 90* 1/8NPT to -4AN adapter fitting. A few guys do it on clubna-t.com and they get the union bolt from the lexus dealership. I don't recall the part number as I'm at work right now.

Then you could just run your filter relocation kit off the stock filter housing. The drawbacks to this setup would be if you needed additional gauges.

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
The 7M OP sender won't screw straight into the port on the 2JZ beacuae it is too big around and hit part of the block, (I think the 1JZ has the same problem, because I have seen mention of kits that allow you to use the 7M sender) I used a couple 1/8 BSPT fittings to move it further out from the block where it would fit.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Gotcha, I remember putting mine in that port, but I couldn't remember if it went in all the way or not. I know if the A/C pump is installed there is no way in hell it will fit. I think thats more what the driftmotion 1JZ kit was for.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I tried that union bolt deal w/my last 1JZ swap. Worth the $$ to just not bother that much with it and get a Greddy kit. Has a place for the 7M sender and a couple of more ports if needed...

I placed the filter by the strut tower...

almostdone.jpg

Last edited:

werewolves182

is without a supra :(
Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
^^Good question.

I just bought an oil filter relocation kit and cooler, I think the best place to mount the filter would be somewhere in between your IC and Radiator in a vertical position.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
^^That would be ideal. I haven't thought it out yet, but was going to fab the bracket s o that it would let me lift the filter and drain it before removing it. It may get messy, but it's easy to get to. I haven't gotten to the point of my 1st oil change yet... will let ya know.

I wanted to mount it like the MKIV guys do, at the tranny in a vertical position and may still eventually do that.

Just saying that the union bolt deal was not so great for me and this gave me a few more options.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
IJ fittings on what item?

This is all just a mental exercise for me at the moment. A lot will fall into place when I actually have the engine in my garage. The only things barring me from that now are helping a friend finish his 7m build and lacking funds.....

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Squid699 said:
After riding in Scott's (Hottscennessey) 2jz NA-T MKIII, I'm seriously considering doing the swap. With his help, I'm slowly solving all the adaption problems that would need to be done.

One nagging issue that I have is the oil cooler/relocation/oil pressure/turbo feed setup.

I'm having problems finding an oil filter relocation kit that has feeds for two sensors on the block-side adapter plate. I've seen a few that have them on the remote block for the filter - but that seems akward. Anyone have a solution?

I've seen sandwich plates that have the feeds for the oil cooler and my sensors, but leave the filter in the stock location. I could live with that, but I'd like to have the relocated filter too.
^^

Nopaint

Jan 30, 2007
GA
hottscennessey said:
Gotcha, I remember putting mine in that port, but I couldn't remember if it went in all the way or not. I know if the A/C pump is installed there is no way in hell it will fit. I think thats more what the driftmotion 1JZ kit was for.

I'm using that on mine and it works great.. I also relocated the oil filter to the back on the tranny... makes oil changes a whole lot easier!