Oil cooler position question.....

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
I uhh just think I am getting old but when you install any kind of oil cooler you always want the in/out holes to be on top or the side but never on the bottom right? When I did mine I accidently have the oil in and oil out side on the bottom so would that mean oil will not fill the cooler up completely?

Ill post pics later to show what I mean.

ALSO can someone confirm that on the 7M motors the oil cooler goes from--block to oil filter to oil cooler then oil pan?

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I dunno either, but I would expect that if it's being forced into the cooler under X psi that it would prolly flow well no matter how you mounted it.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
it sounds like the oil that would be contained in the cooler during operation would drain a little if the connections were facing down, i would think it would take longer to pressurize the cooler upon start up, dosent sound like it would hurt anything but i would mount it with the inlet/outlet facing up.

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
TheNewRed said:
it sounds like the oil that would be contained in the cooler during operation would drain a little if the connections were facing down, i would think it would take longer to pressurize the cooler upon start up, dosent sound like it would hurt anything but i would mount it with the inlet/outlet facing up.

really want to but blahhh everything fit sooo perfectly the way it is now.. I would have to redo all my brackets to my custom mount.

ALSO can someone confirm that on the 7M motors the oil cooler goes from--block to oil filter to oil cooler then oil pan?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It really does not matter which way the in/out holes are orientated. If you are using a stock filter head (sounds like you are), the oil will drain from the cooler (pointing down) into the pan. But, the stock cooler circuit does not pressurize until ~40 psi...the cooler is never pressurized at start up, unless pressure is high enough to actuate the relief valve. You will not be affecting flow to the motor in any way, regardless of the orientation of the in/out ports on the cooler.

The stock oil circuit to the motor and circuit to the cooler are separate. Below ~40 psi the cooler relief valve in the filter head is closed...oil feeds from the pump, to the filter, to the channels in the block/head, to the pan. Above 40 psi the cooler relief valve opens and bleeds off oil pre-filter, feeding the cooler, and then gets dumped back into the pan. Oil is still flowing as described above through the filter. This is also the reason you don't see pressures much above 40 psi using the stock filter head, even at WOT.

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
Okay, so there is an oil cooler reliefe valve?

That may be explaining why I'm having to add a quart of oil after each oil change.

I saw that a NA took 5quarts and a Turbo takes only 5.3quarts. I scratched my head and was wondering how 5quarts for the motor also fill up the Turbo and the oil cooler.

Just curious, how many quarts to fill up a turbo model??

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
Everyone on here will tell you to add 6 for safety measure. We can run 1 extra qt whan what the manufacture calls for.
-Steve