Oil Cooler Bypass/T-stat

supra_rulz

Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ok, i've been reading for about the past hour on the great internet about peoples opinion on oil cooler t-stats. The conclusion is that typically usernames with <100 posts say "awwh, you dont need that! just another expense and thing to break!" while users with >500~1k posts say "absolutely! As long as...blah blaha". So in the back of my mind, i have a feeling i'll get the same answer here but wanted to clear some questions up.

Quick explanation of my setup evolution.

1. No Modification, Stock radiator, 1 (crappy) electric fan, oil to water cooler (stock)
Normal Temp ~100*C
Track Temp ~110*C to 120*C (If i was being careless)
REEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAALLY shitty time at track because of all the cooling issue and cool down laps.

2.Same as above, Mishimoto 10row with -10 AN
Normal Temp ~90*C
Track Temp ~110*C
Temperatures would creep up slowly unlike before but once it reached about 100 it was almost impossible to get it down any lower and that became the baseline for the rest of the day.

3.Mishimoto Aluminum radiator, awesome new fan, plus above.
Normal Temp 90*C
Track Temp <100*C (as long as i behaved)
Tempature increase was about the same but i think the radiator was able to handle more heat capacity and i could get the oil to drop down in temp below 100 but would otherwise shoot up after a lap.
3a. added two electric fans to the oil cooler
Maybe helped a little? I may have been able to get the one or two extra laps in but otherwise same.

4.same as above except.......25 ROW SETRAB + TWO FANS!!! wooooo~
Normal/Track Temp N/A

Now for all of these i haven't run any t-stat. I cant say that there's been any difference in warm up times which is why i decided to leave my oil-water cooler on since it will help the oil warm up. From experience, the important warmup period hasnt been affected much. Am i missing something here?

supra_rulz

Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
....just kidding. I think i got the answer I wanted from the Internet day 2. Nothing horribly wrong will happen from no t-state besides the longer warm up time and I just can't beat on it till the motor is ready. This car isn't really a daily so it doesn't get driven much anyways. I'm just going to make a block off plate for the cooler when I do drive it around town.

If anyone wants to add anything, by all means. I hunk I got my answer though.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
It'll stay in warm up enrichment longer causing possible oil viscosity problems from fuel leaking by the rings. Why not just run a t-stat?

It could actually help your temps by leaving it in the cooler a touch longer allowing the wind to further cool the oil. Just my .02

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
are you looking at oil temps or coolant temps?

if your looking at coolant temps you should be looking at oil temps..

supra_rulz

Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
Indigo- honesty just don't want to buy all new lines. Dumb reason but it's a reason. I am curious what you mean by it could help by leaving it in longer.

Hvyman- I feel that if those were my coolant temps I'd have much bigger issues at hand....lol

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
No need for a T Stat with a Oil/Water cooler, you'll never see sub coolant temps with that setup.

Personally I wouldn't use one on a Mk3 with it's already sub par cooling system, adding more load to it doesn't make sense.

supra_rulz

Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
Schwweet. That's the answer I was hoping for. I really don't understand the whole sub part cooling argument though. Better fan and more water carrying capacity with very stable water temp on track would indicate that it's operating within capacity wouldn't it?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
supra_rulz;2013761 said:
Schwweet. That's the answer I was hoping for. I really don't understand the whole sub part cooling argument though. Better fan and more water carrying capacity with very stable water temp on track would indicate that it's operating within capacity wouldn't it?
Just a Mk3 thing with the small frontal area, personally I'd like to see the Oil Temps follow Coolant a bit closer but it's far from overheating the Oil at that.

supra_rulz

Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ohhh, right right right...well I made a splitter and ducted the air so I'm hoping this does the trick. I just wanna have fun, but you gotta pay to play :( there's an event this weekend so I'll report back then.