Oil catch can for 1JZ need help!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
SupraMario;1587228 said:
This reminds me, I need to put mine in >< I'm assuming with the stock twins on a 2jzgte I can use #1 like on the 1jz and do one hose in and the the other back to the twins. This would work wouldn't it?

Basically you have your catch can coming off #1, then the other line back to the inlet (essentially putting the can in the middle of what the stock line off #1)? If so, this is how I have mine routed, but not 100% sure if it does anything or not... does have a little oil collecting in there, but not much.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
te72;1588050 said:
Basically you have your catch can coming off #1, then the other line back to the inlet (essentially putting the can in the middle of what the stock line off #1)? If so, this is how I have mine routed, but not 100% sure if it does anything or not... does have a little oil collecting in there, but not much.

Yea this is what I figured it would do, I dunno how else you can hook it up with the stock twins. ><

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Sooo since I have a single turbo, what's the cleanest way of installing a catch can? Here's how Dave (GrimJack) has his on his 2JZ and then here's a picture of my 1JZ right now. Can I do exactly like he did with the #4 and #1 or can I just hook up to #1 and plug the other port on my catch can? I want the setup to be as clean and simple as possible.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Instead of having a line going to my air intake just in front of my turbo to be used as a vacuum, could I have a line going from my catch can to my exhaust down pipe? This is what I'm thinking of having: ports 1 going to the catch can, and then having another line coming out of the catch can and going to my down pipe so a vacuum is created. Does this sound like it would work?

Last edited:

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
The reason you have 2 vacume sources is because when under boost the plenum haves no vacume thats why the pvc valve blocks the pressure from going inside the engine.
The other vacume is not as powerful as the plenum but yes there ins a port between the filter and the turbine inlets that is always a constant slight vacume which is why there is no pvc on that one.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
What about doing like Virtual Works did and use check valve's on the DP?

p1596409_1.jpg

p1596409_2.jpg

p1596409_3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Lol thats a scavaging tube where you use the exaust gasses to pull the crap out of the engine you need no pvc at all just make sure the tube is in right you dont want it to push into the engine but yea thats my kind of idea but not smog friendly

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but i Would like to start it again just to be straight to the point. keep in mind that i am NOT using the stock intake manifold or the stock twins.

first of all, can i just remove the PVC valve and hookup the intake and the exhaust side to the catch can just like the 2jz or do i also have to remove the mesh plate that is bolted to the cover?.

second thing is why do some people drill two holes in the upper back of the covers and connect them to the catch can?.

http://a2.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/26/02de19deda6746b4af9ef360210baa5e/l.jpg

http://cdn.fatlace.com/lacedup/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/IMG_0325-620x362.jpg

Also, do i need to have a third line connected from the catch can to the turbo intake pipe?

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5933/dsc08123hs0.jpg

Its just that there are too many setups and not allot of info on the 1jz.

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
mjsn1;2006602 said:
Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but i Would like to start it again just to be straight to the point. keep in mind that i am NOT using the stock intake manifold or the stock twins.

first of all, can i just remove the PVC valve and hookup the intake and the exhaust side to the catch can just like the 2jz or do i also have to remove the mesh plate that is bolted to the cover?.

second thing is why do some people drill two holes in the upper back of the covers and connect them to the catch can?.

http://a2.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/26/02de19deda6746b4af9ef360210baa5e/l.jpg

http://cdn.fatlace.com/lacedup/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/IMG_0325-620x362.jpg

Also, do i need to have a third line connected from the catch can to the turbo intake pipe?

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5933/dsc08123hs0.jpg

Its just that there are too many setups and not allot of info on the 1jz.

since starting this thread I've learned a lot... so to try and answer you questions I'll just go in order...

1. from my understanding yes, as for this mesh plate I think you are talking about the baffles and I would leave those in or a lot of oil could escape. I plan on threading those exact ports and running AN fittings from them.

2. I have no idea why someone would do this....

3. you can run things three ways:
-a hose to the intake (to draw out crank case pressure)
-an exhaust savaging system to draw out crank case pressure.
-filter set up on the catch can which allows free flowing suction if needed.

things to consider are having baffling for your catch can, some people do steel wool but I wouldn't consider doing so. The reason why is because after a long time they can break down release small parts of the steel wool that can find their way in your engine. For those of you that way say other wise you may not use steel wool as much as I do so I know that this happens (breaking down that is).

ALSO TO CLEAR THINGS UP, NUMBER 2 AND 3 ARE NOT FOR THE CRANK CASE OR VALVE COVERS (IN THE PHOTO ON THE FIRST PAGE.)

Last edited: