Oil catch can for 1JZ need help!

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
Hey every one. Just wondering I know the locations on the 7M but not so much for the 1J. Does anyone have a picture they can show me where the hoses connect to the motor. I see some with three hoses vise 2 also. I know two and connected with Y pipes to the motor and one to the intake to the turbo (meaning a pressure source) So what im wondering if anyone knows the difference with the two set ups and how they are set up. Please correct me if any of my information is wrong.

Last edited:

pnutcar

1jz Asshole :)
Jan 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I just made mine out of the air compressor filter that you can google and read about. Only have about 100 miles on the entire new setup while Im finishing the car. You can see where the lines lead to and from:

l_8c46168c912945afb08e8b5c324ec5ce.jpg

l_29a8cbccd9bb41268f4705fa203cc127.jpg

Marotta1

Supreme Lurker
So I'm a little confused about this also. 1 and 2 should be run into the catch can, but what about 3 and 4? Should those lines be included also and would there any benefit keeping oil out of the intake manifold? I'm not sure if these lines flow from the head to the manifold or vice versa.

sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
Marotta1;1324907 said:
So I'm a little confused about this also. 1 and 2 should be run into the catch can, but what about 3 and 4? Should those lines be included also and would there any benefit keeping oil out of the intake manifold? I'm not sure if these lines flow from the head to the manifold or vice versa.

sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]

1 and 4 to cc, 2 and 3 leave alone.

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
^ ya a CC wont do any good if it not catching the oil from the pcv (4 in that pic).
most setups I'v seen dont do any thing with the pcv, in my opinion thats not the best setup.

StiCk3

Apr 25, 2009
->IN<-
seoul4korea;1326589 said:
So what if it was just connected to number one and that was it?

If it was just connected to one then it would vent out into the air, it needs the other end to flow the blowby back into the intake.

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
I knew about that one. It has to have a connection to a suction source. I was refering to the Valve train side. I'm trying to figure out which set up is the correct/most effective set up. Every where that I've looked its like 50/50 on how they set it up. some say don't use the pcv some say to so I just want to get the most correct info.

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
There was a thread that discussed this in dept an explained how the pcv system works. you need 2 catch cans. you need it at location 1 and another cc at location 4.
if youre cheap, i would just put it at location 1 to keep your intercooler pipes clean

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Marotta1;1324907 said:

sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]

+1 on the home depote fluide seperator.
Home depote haves a clear glass catch can all you have to do is add barbs get two of them one for the intake vavle cover one for the exhaust side vavle cover.

They are cheap and depending on how much bypass you have maybe drain it once a month there is a little P-cock on the bottom of it to drain them.

You want to hook one up between the hoses on point #1 & #4 somewhere away from the engine and cool would be better, also you want to keep the pvc valve in the hose on the intake cam side because if you boost pressure you dont want your intake pressure blowing your seals.

Also if you goto a single just put an open K&N filter on #3 the isc take the hose off bend the tube up a little bit from the water line your car will idle a little bit better that just opens up to let air in when your car is in idle or just starting.

Also note that you dont need a single to put a filter there you could plug off #2 then put a filter on #3

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
RockPaperSwoRD;1326852 said:
There was a thread that discussed this in dept an explained how the pcv system works. you need 2 catch cans. you need it at location 1 and another cc at location 4.
if youre cheap, i would just put it at location 1 to keep your intercooler pipes clean

I agree 100&#37; and fond this to be true in practice, but most people don't want two catch cans and a bunch of hose in there bay. and the price thing. keeping your intercooler, and pipes clean is good and down the road will save you a headache. But I have seen cheap autozone replacement "OEM" PCV fail then spit a lot of oil in to the intake stream and oil does not compress well. just a little bit of oil burning can mess with the o2 levels, making the engine lean out leading to meted pistons. Of course this is rare but can happen and a cheap $30 CC can save the engine. so you will have to make the call there is no "right way" to do it, the right way is the one that fits your budget, your setup, and your state of mind. there will always be a better way to do something.

Romeo

1JZ
May 28, 2008
Bay Area
just to clarify... if you only want one CC

plug 1&4 to CC and as an option you can plug off #2(Cap off) and put a filter breather on #3?

Correct me if Im wrong anyone? Im about to install a CC that I bought a couple months ago....but never got to it because I didn't know the right set-up. HAHA!

-Mike

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Thats sounds correct

Cap off 2
With twins
If you have a single dont worry about it.
The hose on 2 goes to 3 the idle control opening just put a small K&N on the metal tube coming out below 3 to keep the dirt from going into the intake through there.

Buy two homedepote fluid seperators put each one on the 1 & 4.
1 will plumb into the intake pipe on a single like the twin used to before the compressor inlet.
This will create a slight vacume between the filter & turbo.

4 plumbs into the intake but there is only a vacume there when the car is not under boost because the PVC valve keeps a vacume only on the intake under boost it blocks it from a boost leak or blowing your seals up in your engine.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I just did a catchcan on #1 because I didn't want oil/vapor going into my twins.. with #4, I just replaced the stock pcv valve with a 2J one and never cared to mess with it after that.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
The PVC valve does not stop oil and damaging blow by vapors from getting sucked into the plenum during vacume.
The PVC just stops your engine under boost in the mainfold from boost leaking, it also makes sure that you dont have positive crank case pressure.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
oil and damaging blow by vapors under vacuum?.. what detrimental effects can be expected of this?

I wouldn't want these to come into contact with all of the other safe vapors such as CO, NOx, SO/SO2, hydrocarbons, etc.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Your engine creates harsh damaging vapors that blow by piston rings as they wear it increases compression of course decreases.
To compensate and avoid blowing seals they suck the positive vapors out of the engine by using 2 sources.
1. They suck the vapors out of one side of the engine by using the slight vacume between the intake filter and compressor housing suction.
2. They suck the vapors into the plenum but they only allow vacume to flow to the plenum under vacume but not boost (hence PCV)

So you want a catch can to keep the crap in your engine from getting sucked into the plenum you also dont want the dirty crap getting sucked onto the front turbo compressor.
Thats why you want a catch can between both.

There is other ways to suck the air out electronic vacume, scavanging tube inline with the exaust and you could blow it out the tail pipe for some reason EPA hates that one and if you use CATs they hate it also.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
This reminds me, I need to put mine in >< I'm assuming with the stock twins on a 2jzgte I can use #1 like on the 1jz and do one hose in and the the other back to the twins. This would work wouldn't it?