Oil burning/smoke from exhaust

randomock

NEWB
Sep 15, 2008
Bay Area, California
This started after I dropped the oil pan to shim the oil pump 3mm.

I'd be driving around, and stop at a stop light or stop sign and all of a sudden the car is engulfed in smoke.
I had a friend follow me once to see where it was coming from, he said all of it was from the exhaust.

I've checked my dipstick many times, before and after driving, and it hasn't moved from what I can tell. All of my other fluids are full also.

It definitely smells like like oil burning.

Last time I had the exhaust manifold off to fix an exhaust leak, I saw that either the 4th or 5th exhaust port was a little moist, like maybe oil or something, but didn't think much of it.

Head gasket was recently replaced with a cometic & arps, valve seals replaced and valve clearances checked/adjusted.

Turbo was also recently rebuilt/upgraded to 57trim.

The only thing I can think of may be piston rings, valve steam seals, or turbo seal, and 2 of those are new.

I also took the intake pipes apart to check for oil in there from the pcv system, and it is pretty clean, just a tad of oil.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
pull your spark plugs, if those are covered in oil, then its either your rings, or your valve stem seals. if your plugs are ok, but your still burning a lot of oil, its most likely your turbo.

and where are you in the bay? san jose or more up by oakland?

randomock

NEWB
Sep 15, 2008
Bay Area, California
Rennat;1237174 said:
pull your spark plugs, if those are covered in oil, then its either your rings, or your valve stem seals. if your plugs are ok, but your still burning a lot of oil, its most likely your turbo.

and where are you in the bay? san jose or more up by oakland?

Forgot to mention, pulled the plugs and they were pretty clean, not oily.

And I'm in Vallejo, north/east of Oakland.

Also, its kinda of random, doesn't happen every time I stop, which is kind of confusing.

dan0311

Nov 28, 2008
broken arrow
TURBO!!! take off your intake pipe to the turbo and see how much shaft play you have, if you have a good bit, its your turbo. i had the SAME exact problem with my 89' and it never got low just smoked when i would coast, come to a stop, or on idle. it was my turbo, it was toast. ebay $95 with shipping, ct26 rebuild kit, FULL REBUILD kit. works wonders.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyo...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
if you have oil inside your exhaust manifold.... i would bet oil is getting by the rings. run a compression test and get back to us with the numbers
-pete

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
could definitely be your turbo. My turbo was so fucked oil would leak out the intake filter..

damn bearing was cracked in half with chunks missing!

new turbo's been working great, so inspect it, and check the shaftplay..

randomock

NEWB
Sep 15, 2008
Bay Area, California
Turns out to be the turbo, wayyyyyy too much shaft play.

I called Performance Techniques and they said they have to look at it to make sure it wasn't an error on my part. Its been almost exactly 6 months (their warranty limit), but I haven't even driven the car more then 300 miles, or boosted more then 16psi :icon_conf .

So I guess I'll send it in and see what they say.

Thank you all for the information, I just didnt know where to start, and was too lazy to just dig in.