Oil burning smell on decel

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
Hey guys, my car was off the road for quite some time, not because it didn't run, just wasn't using it lol

This has been happening for quite a few years but I didn't really drive the car enough to warrant figuring it out, but now that my car has become a daily driver again I wanna get it sorted.
Startup - no smoke
Throttling - no smoke
Idling - no smoke
Decelerating - no smoke (that i can see anyway)

After decelerating for a lil bit constant full decel (couple hundred meters/600 odd feet), coming off a motorway or pulling up to lights I can smell oil burning, the other thing I discovered was that my oil stinks of fuel so I've pretty much only been babying the car around.

I don't think it's valve stems as the fuel stinky oil seems to point that I'm getting fuel past the rings? Does this mean my rings are poked, being that it only happens under high vacuum it's sucking oil past the rings? Is it only managing to suck the oil past the rings because the fuel has lowered its viscosity immensely?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Do you have a wideband to monitor your AFR's? The reason I ask is if you're running TOO rich, you can wash fuel down the cylinder walls into the oil pan.

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
I noticed to the same thing with my car and it turns out that my turbo seal was going bad. Eventually I did start seeing a small puff of smoke on start up. I'm not sure if this applies in your particular case, just something to look into.

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
I had a thought today, quite some time ago when I was running the 1uz tps, it was not suitable to the car and with even the smallest throttle it used to go into open loop map. So it was running rich almost constantly. I fixed this by using a 3sge tps and no longer had those problems, I wonder if my oil is just leftovers of that because to be honest I can't remember if I even did an oil change after all that so it could be just oil is getting into the cylinders from being so washed down with fuel.

I'm going to do an oil change and filter soon and we'll see if my oil starts reeking of fuel again xD

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
Ok wow, my last post in this thread was over a year ago, fairly sure i've done an oil filter & change since then... I hope heh. But over a year later and I still have this problem. I haven't done a compression check on it and most recent change I made was letting my catch can vent to atmosphere rather than the intake, (just in case it was pulling it through the intake system). I noticed while it was venting to atmosphere that my can often wafted lil plumes of vapors and I'm not sure if the problem is actually getting worse or if it was coincidence but I actually saw a plume of bluish smoke waft from the exhaust.

Still the same thing however, only on hard deceleration will I see/smell the oil. No smoke at any other time, vacuum on gauge is 19-20inhg with a .5 oscillation with the good ol 7m blip/misfire at idle habit.
Startup vacuum is usually 18.5ish and no smoke at all from the exhaust.

I'll do a compression check on it tomorrow if I have time.

Because I'm not smoking on startup I'm kinda eliminating valve seals and I did the usual rev turbo check, held rpm at 3k and dropped throttle and no smoke albeit a crude testing measure.

Anything else I should check on?

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
I agree. Turbo oil seals leaking. The turbo will not necessarily have any excessive shaft play.
Find any oil in the cold side of your intercooler?