Official Olympic For and Against Thread

88guy

use to go 280KMH :(
Jun 13, 2009
Victoria BC Canada
Someone had to do it.........

Me I'm for the games. But not for the extra work lol. I work for a company that is directly supporting the games. Everyone had vacation canceled, and was told to be prepared for 18 hour days!!! WTF!!!! (I work for Helijet International)....So i like that the world is coming, I'm just a slacker at heart :p

Anybody else care to add?

Brenden

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
My sis is in Whistler at the moment and cannot wait for The Games. Both her workplaces will be busy (Hilton and a really awesome pizza place) and she will make a shitload in tips (hopefully enough that she can come back home to visit in a few months!)

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
personally i think its a giant waste of taxpayer money (especially the olympic village condos...) and i will not be going anywhere near vancouver until its well over.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
Jayhall;1484075 said:
Too late, its here whether you like it or not.

haha soo true!

just not liking the closed downtown street! its just going to make my latenight downtown cruises impossible!:cry:

88guy

Jun 13, 2009
Victoria BC Canada
Enraged;1484415 said:
personally i think its a giant waste of taxpayer money (especially the olympic village condos...) and i will not be going anywhere near vancouver until its well over.

Try the Billion,yes billion dollars spent of security alone!!! Im so glad im over here on the Island, and dont have to deal with the gong show(well most of it anyways). But hey, we all mind as well try and enjoy them while there here. And try to not get shot driving through a military check point hahaha.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
There's positives and negatives. The wife works in the charter bus industry, and it's been going slowly downhill for years, so this will give it a much needed boost, and if we're lucky it may actually cause tourism to start on it's way back up.

On the other hand, the stupid security pisses me off, the parking problems - businesses that are getting hammered by no parking rules, traffic closures, etc, all are going to make things difficult for the next little while.

The worst thing, IMO, is that Cypress canned their mountain bike park so they could work on olympic venues. Fuckers. That was a nice bike park - close, cheap, and well built by a local trail builder who knows wtf he was doing.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I'm definitely not looking forward to the traffic and security checkpoints etc. That being said I won't have to deal with a lot of that (hopefully) seeing as I live in Abbotsford, BUT, my fiancé lives in Coquitlam...so yeah. Not looking forward to bridge traffic, that is for sure.

As for the games themselves, I'm fairly indifferent. It's kind of cool knowing that they'll be so close, but I'm not going to be able to see any of the events live and I'm not going to enjoy the chaos that will come with them.

88guy, how long have you been working for Helijet? I know a guy who used to work for Helijet and I've done the Vancouver to Victoria trip a few times.

88guy

Jun 13, 2009
Victoria BC Canada
radiod;1484532 said:
88guy, how long have you been working for Helijet? I know a guy who used to work for Helijet and I've done the Vancouver to Victoria trip a few times.

One year as of tomorrow haha. What was your buddys name?

VanSupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Van,B.C.
I`m all for the $42,000 a week houses for rent.

Back in the day I had the privelage of meeting the owner of Helijet, and to tip a few back with him on a couple of occasions at a well known but now defunct strip club downtown..heh..nice guy.

mk3_supra

Jun 14, 2006
vancouver
VanSupra;1484924 said:

Back in the day I had the privelage of meeting the owner of Helijet, and to tip a few back with him on a couple of occasions at a well known but now defunct strip club downtown..heh..nice guy.

They re-opened it if I'm thinking of the same one as you. I'm all for the games everyone shouldn't worry too much about traffic, chances are it's going to shit snow during the games and no ones going to be getting around by car. I agree I'm choked over some of the buisnesses going down due to all the changes that are going on. there was a nice little chinese restaurant I LOVED on cambie and king ed that is now gone because of the construction that went on for the Canada line. As much as all these protestors say they hate the olympics chances are now that they're coming this is THE MOST anyone's paid attention to or cared about what they're fighting for soo....

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
mk3_supra said:
chances are it's going to shit snow during the games and no ones going to be getting around by car

Yeah, that's very possible. We haven't seen too much this year yet, but I'd say we definitely have lots coming. Late Jan - Feb is where we start actually seeing winter climate usually....that and right around kids spring break time :p.

88guy said:
One year as of tomorrow haha. What was your buddys name?
His name is Rob Dyck. I don't remember when he left, but I think it was before that. He's a helicopter pilot. I help him and few other guys as a small race team for SCCBC events on the street track at Mission during the summer.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
I am looking forward to it, it should be a great time. I remember how cool it was when Expo 86 was here, although I was just a small kid.

I have some family in Richmond that is renting out thier house, they are looking to make $10,000 + !!!

I cant wait to see some Olympic hockey in person, I got tickets for Sweden vs Belarus !!:)

88guy

Jun 13, 2009
Victoria BC Canada
VanSupra;1484924 said:

#5 Orange i believe its called :p hahaha Its a well spend joke in the company. Oh ps It was our owner(now majority share holder) Who brought that establishment back to life!!! He owns it lol!

(Oh any SM as i consider u all my friends, wishing to have a guest pass PM me :) )

VanSupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Van,B.C.
88guy;1485820 said:
#5 Orange i believe its called :p hahaha Its a well spend joke in the company. Oh ps It was our owner(now majority share holder) Who brought that establishment back to life!!! He owns it lol!

(Oh any SM as i consider u all my friends, wishing to have a guest pass PM me :) )

Actually I was reffering to the Marble Arch..lol..