Official MKIII Smack down, High Roller Series and other VEGAS results here!

jawsgear

Undergoing Construction
Jan 29, 2006
Sactown
www.jawsgear.com
upgradedsupra;1150337 said:
It was at the track but he turned down the boost because he didn't want to screw up the trans.

GAY!!!!:3d_frown: I thought R154's were Super Duper Strong Duane?

upgradedsupra;1150337 said:
You're a trouble maker. lol

And that is why we like him sooooo much.:biglaugh:

So what happened to the record holder that was gonna give us all the spanking, and Jason too?

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
jawsgear;1150510 said:
GAY!!!!:3d_frown: I thought R154's were Super Duper Strong Duane?

And that is why we like him sooooo much.:biglaugh:

So what happened to the record holder that was gonna give us all the spanking, and Jason too?

I know for a fact that I didn't day "super duper strong" lol

I said they are great and mine was. I took it out but not because it was broken ;) I did it before it would! :biglaugh:

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
I finally found the laptop in the pile and got it back online - I've been using my regular desktop since I got home.

People asked for a breakdown on the Smackdown series so here we go. You may want to get something to drink... there's a bunch of math involved here. :)

Of the seven original Smackdown participants three showed up as expected. Jeff, Shawn, and Darian (finally showed up). Tony couldn't make it so we swapped in Rey's car - also a Final Stage project.

Shawn took last place in both HP and Tq - likely due to the automagic. Darian was next highest and took 3rd place. Jeff took 2nd... and Rey - DAYUMN! - got first. Points were assessed (a maximum of 15 points for HP and tq). After the first day it was Rey with 15 points, Jeff with 13.5, Darian with 12, and Shawn with 10.

In the Show categories we had another 10 points available. We had judges representing each of the three main generations (MkII, MkIII, and MkIV) reviewing each participant and assigning a score for Interior, Exterior, and Engine.
Jeff wilson received perfect marks for engine, near perfect marks for Exterior, and solid marks for interior.
Jeff - Int: 8.67 / Ext: 9.3 / Engine: 10
Shawn - Int: 8 / Ext: 9.3 / Engine: 6.67
Darian - Int: 4.67 / Ext: 4.67 / Engine: 6.3
Rey - Int: 6 / Ext: 6.83 / Engine: 4

The score was now:
Jeff: 23.1
Rey: 22.6
Darian: 19.4
Shawn: 19

With just over 4 points between first and last place it was all going to come down to the drags.

The Drags counted for half the total points - that's what really matters anyway right?

In the battle of the lights Rey cut a SWEET RT at 0.594 giving him another 10 points and putting him back in front with 32.6. Jeff dropped from 1/2 point up to 2nd place with 31.1. Shawn was close behind with 28 points but the points were not yet added up for the ET and MPH (10 and 5 points respectively).

Unfortunately Jeff had an issue with the nitrous and had fire problems that shut his run down mid-track. This opened the door for Rey to increase his lead and Shawn to jump into second place.

Shawn pulled an AWESOME 10.074 (just over 1/tenth of a second slower than Tony's run from SILV08) at 131.39 to have the quickest and fastest runs of the night for the MkIIIs but it was not enough to overcome Rey's domination at the dyno.

Final scores:
Rey: 38.1 points
Shawn: 35 points
Jeff: 31.1 points
Darian: 19.4 points

I hope that sheds some light on this year's competition. It was VERY exciting to watch and I can't wait to see what happens at SILV09!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
:aigo:......My head hurts now after reading all of that calculous mumbo jumbo........:biglaugh:

Congrats to all of those that competed and represented the MKIII's in a great fashion.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
ok... I'll make it a bit easier.

Dyno - 15 points total:
10 points for highest HP
5 points for highest Tq
Show - 10 points total:
2 points for interior
4 points for exterior
4 points for engine
Drags - 25 points total:
10 points for lowest ET
10 points for best RT
5 points for highest MPH
Total possible points: 50

jawsgear

Undergoing Construction
Jan 29, 2006
Sactown
www.jawsgear.com
Keith,

Thanks for the update on the point spread. A few reccomendations if this event happens next year would be the following as I somewhat felt we had this in the bag....

1. Point breakdown should be posted prior to event so the competitors know what they are competing for.
2. If someone bails on the Event alternates should be discussed ahead of time not the day of the dyno adding them in.
3. In regards to the dyno, I was not aware we were using nitrous, obviously we would have added that in as we had a 375 shot ready to go on the car LOL. I was told boost only passes.
4. Also, if the people are not at the dyno at time of draw, that is what I would consider a forfeit of points.
5. Show and shine layout was awesome.
6. Maybe look into doing the show and shine and drags on the same day, allowing cruise and award ceremony on saturday in the evening.
7. As far as the drags, my car had issues, but if someone elses late arrival is allowed on the dyno then I feel the same opportunity should be allowed at the drags and that is where I feel I dominated with the best 60ft, ET, and MPH out of the whole MK3 class.

Don't get me wrong, I am not "Butthurt" but these clarifications will only make things a bit smoother in the future for this type of event and class. I am glad we were able to make it down and had a good time. Thanks for putting on the event and we look forward to next year.

Jeff

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
This was a big experiment and we were tweaking the program up to the actual start of SILV08. We knew there were going to be a few bumps along the way but overall the program was a huge success.

Rey was there representing Tony. Roy was also there but was not included in the Smackdown. The HRS series had Ryan running for Ron S as his car was not ready either.

Adding a 375 shot would not have made much difference as half of the points were tallied during the elimination rounds of the drags. You lost a possible 15 points by not completing a pass.

Darian had a rep at the dyno and we wanted to make sure the activity was exciting for this first program - especially with so few participants. Next year if you aren't at the dyno at the time of the drawing or aren't at the show in time to get parked before the gates are open you will NOT get any points for that activity. We made some accomodations for this first year.

Thanks on the layout for the Show-and-Shine. We will be improving on that layout for the future.

The HRS and Smackdown programs were not perfect. This was the first year for both and we learned a lot. Improvements will be made for the future. Just like I'm sure when you first put your Supra together it wasn't perfect and you are constantly making improvements to make it better.

jawsgear

Undergoing Construction
Jan 29, 2006
Sactown
www.jawsgear.com
KeithH;1151092 said:
This was a big experiment and we were tweaking the program up to the actual start of SILV08. We knew there were going to be a few bumps along the way but overall the program was a huge success.

Rey was there representing Tony. Roy was also there but was not included in the Smackdown. The HRS series had Ryan running for Ron S as his car was not ready either.

Adding a 375 shot would not have made much difference as half of the points were tallied during the elimination rounds of the drags. You lost a possible 15 points by not completing a pass.

Darian had a rep at the dyno and we wanted to make sure the activity was exciting for this first program - especially with so few participants. Next year if you aren't at the dyno at the time of the drawing or aren't at the show in time to get parked before the gates are open you will NOT get any points for that activity. We made some accomodations for this first year.

Thanks on the layout for the Show-and-Shine. We will be improving on that layout for the future.

The HRS and Smackdown programs were not perfect. This was the first year for both and we learned a lot. Improvements will be made for the future. Just like I'm sure when you first put your Supra together it wasn't perfect and you are constantly making improvements to make it better.

Well the 375 shot would have mattered somewhat cause we would have taken 1st on the dyno not 2nd in conjunction with the 15 drag points we did not get.

I was not referring to Darian at the dyno I was referring to Ray, he was not present at drawing nor had representation. I have no problem with a fill in if discussed like Woon's fill in was.

I understand accomidations were made to boost the class but my point is they were not made across the board as I did make the last pass blowing all the people in our class pretty much out of the water with the exception of the R/T.

As a sponsor dropping 1K for the event I understand the need to make it as successful as possible. I just am offering advice for the future as I did invest a lot of time and money to come to this event, and on the car to put together a good show.

Not trying to piss anyone off, just seemed like a double standard on some points and don't want to see it happen next year.

Jeff

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
I agree with you too Jeff, I actually felt the same way and couldn't have said it better myself.

Let's better this event for next year. This event looked like it went down pretty well overall! I will not miss next year. :icon_bigg

Duane

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Currently all activities on the schedule require a dedicated coordinator. This new program will also require a coordinator for the future - the first year was the experiment. The coordinator will be responsible for the program and cannot be a participant in the class.