OEM speaker size???

Aug 15, 2008
Navan, Ontario
Hi, i just bought a 1987 Toyota Supra N/A, and love it. Just had it repainted too. Only problem is that i dont even listen to the stereo anymore because the speakers are so sh**ty in it. So, i want to upgrade to aftermarket speakers, high quality with good bass so that i dont have to put subs in right away. Does anyone on hear know the front and rear oem speaker size for the 1986-1992 supras? Thanks alot

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
87silverbullitt;1124067 said:
Hi, i just bought a 1987 Toyota Supra N/A, and love it. Just had it repainted too. Only problem is that i dont even listen to the stereo anymore because the speakers are so sh**ty in it. So, i want to upgrade to aftermarket speakers, high quality with good bass so that i dont have to put subs in right away. Does anyone on hear know the front and rear oem speaker size for the 1986-1992 supras? Thanks alot

Front door speakers are 4" and the back ones 5 1/4", dont expect too much bass no matter what brand you buy... Best way to go without putting subwoofers in is to get the front speakers pods of a 1992 supra so you can do 6 1/2" speakers up front. And if you want some high quality stuff then go with component speakers... Polk, Infinity, Kicker are all brands of Good speakers that wont exactly break the bank... Do you have a budget yet?

NeatOman

Never know enough!
Oct 5, 2006
Addison, IL
I got some really good sound out of some Infinity Kappa (i disassembled the cross over to hot glue it into the speaker pods) front and back for an 88 i used to own... and it sounded really nice with a Pioneer Premier stereo. I was happy with the bass after some EQ tweaking (although replacing them with 6 1/2's would really help). IMO there is no need to upgrade the factory wiring, although inside the speaker box is another story so i put some monster cable ;-)

I recommend getting everything from ebay

Remember when you get a stereo even tho it says 200 watts (50x4) on a typical unit you only see about 14-18 clean watts of sound, and high end around 22-28 clean watts.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
You also have a pre 89, 89+'s received 2 more 4 inch speakers on the rear shoulder area...

you could get the rear panels and install the speakers as well, but as mentioned before you aren't really going to get any real bass unless you install some woofers, and it's hard to get them in the back if you like taking your targa off...

Aug 15, 2008
Navan, Ontario
Sside;1124135 said:
Front door speakers are 4" and the back ones 5 1/4", dont expect too much bass no matter what brand you buy... Best way to go without putting subwoofers in is to get the front speakers pods of a 1992 supra so you can do 6 1/2" speakers up front. And if you want some high quality stuff then go with component speakers... Polk, Infinity, Kicker are all brands of Good speakers that wont exactly break the bank... Do you have a budget yet?

I dont really have a budget, but that being said, i dont want to spend more than $500 for both front and rear speakers. Can i buy the front speaker pods of the 1992 supra over ebay?

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
87silverbullitt;1129596 said:
I dont really have a budget, but that being said, i dont want to spend more than $500 for both front and rear speakers. Can i buy the front speaker pods of the 1992 supra over ebay?

Thats a lot of money for speakers. There are a lot of choices in that price range.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Pernilongo;1130281 said:
Thats a lot of money for speakers. There are a lot of choices in that price range.

Is it? I know my polks are going to cost to about 150$ for my front Polk pair, x2= 300$ + 1 pair for the seat speakers 100$ = 400$ plus tx im guessing a good 450 $. That is just a Polk set up... There are much more expensive speakers out there.... I just love how crisp Polk sounds for the $...

And for the original poster, I am sorry to add on something you should have known from the beggining... (I 4got to mention oops lol...) Since you are using component/good speakers you might want to power those up with an amp... I think you can shop around for some pods here and ebay might do it too. For speakers try ebay also... Just make sure you are buying New speakers not used one... After that you might have enough left for a nice little amp to power your speakers up.... Here is a set up I would use...

http://cgi.ebay.com/POLK-AUDIO-DB52...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/POLK-AUDIO-db40...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_22&products_id=46

And this set up is without the 6 1/2 speakers pods.... Just a little quick set up I would do (note) shop around more, go to circuit city even and hear the polks out and the kicker ones... Infinity speakers are gr8 2... You can find those at car toys and hear them there... Dont buy emm there because they will be more expensive.. The link to the amp dont even mess with... I highly recommend that amp, it can make a pair of fing Sony's Xplods sound incredible... :D and you should sit up around 500$ at the end of the day... And if I am correct you dont have the 2 extra speakers on the shoulders area backseat... I have a friend with a 87 supra and his does not... Just trying to clear that up...

Aug 15, 2008
Navan, Ontario
Sside;1132239 said:
Is it? I know my polks are going to cost to about 150$ for my front Polk pair, x2= 300$ + 1 pair for the seat speakers 100$ = 400$ plus tx im guessing a good 450 $. That is just a Polk set up... There are much more expensive speakers out there.... I just love how crisp Polk sounds for the $...

And for the original poster, I am sorry to add on something you should have known from the beggining... (I 4got to mention oops lol...) Since you are using component/good speakers you might want to power those up with an amp... I think you can shop around for some pods here and ebay might do it too. For speakers try ebay also... Just make sure you are buying New speakers not used one... After that you might have enough left for a nice little amp to power your speakers up.... Here is a set up I would use...

http://cgi.ebay.com/POLK-AUDIO-DB52...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/POLK-AUDIO-db40...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_22&products_id=46

And this set up is without the 6 1/2 speakers pods.... Just a little quick set up I would do (note) shop around more, go to circuit city even and hear the polks out and the kicker ones... Infinity speakers are gr8 2... You can find those at car toys and hear them there... Dont buy emm there because they will be more expensive.. The link to the amp dont even mess with... I highly recommend that amp, it can make a pair of fing Sony's Xplods sound incredible... :D and you should sit up around 500$ at the end of the day... And if I am correct you dont have the 2 extra speakers on the shoulders area backseat... I have a friend with a 87 supra and his does not... Just trying to clear that up...

Ya your right, i dont have the 2 extra speakers on the shoulder area. Thanks alot guys, i just want a good clear sounds with enough thump so i dont have to add subs and weigh the car down even more.