OEM diff finally gave in! Small vid inside with pics

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I told you that you should have went with a 2jz..........wait, whut?

Sorry to hear about this. At least you'll have a better setup now, so the nines should be a few months away. Good luck.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
jdub;1392457 said:
Damn Duane...like the guys said, lucky it happened when it did ;)

Got a TRD LSD myself...it's a stout piece.

did it look like the kazz i showed above ?

Zumtizzle;1392447 said:
TRD > Kaaz.

But that is a nice diff.

i was told that they were diffent that trd used carbon disc or what ever they used ?
but i have never sean on sooooo

kinda like cusco unit's ?

i sean cusco units and they never grabed teh road like the kazz did example vid here the my tire figh each other wheil truing at low speed

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Right on man, I wish I was there to see and hear it. I can't belive you were still running the stock rear end, I never would of guessed. Good to hear everything is still good.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
kwnate;1392808 said:
weak, looked like a 1.8 60'.

lol How do you know even what a 1.8 feels like. :icon_razz

Well, pulled the 3.91 diff last night and sent it to Jeff today at jawsgear. He said he would fix me up quick. Might be able to run it again Fri too! TRD is an upgrade for winter though.

Duane

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
NashMan;1392614 said:
did it look like the kazz i showed above ?

i was told that they were diffent that trd used carbon disc or what ever they used ?
but i have never sean on sooooo

The outside case was machined, not cast...it wasn't as pretty as the Kazz though. From memory, the clutch discs were not carbon, but there were more of them vs stock. The new TRD LDS might use carbon discs...not too sure on that one. Mine is one of the original ones for the Mk III I was able to get new from a Toyota parts wholesaler.

Personally I prefer the way the TRD 1.5 way LSD handles vs a 2 way. There is less driver understeer correction required on decel...it's a personal preference.

besttrans

Supramania Contributor
Jun 18, 2006
Springfield MA
Looks like you broke that diff in the right way, literally. It sounds like it broke right when that thing came on boost, which is more impressive than breaking it on the launch! nice job - next stop 9.30

shawn

MKIII VIXEN

Supramania Contributor
Feb 11, 2006
resting
All that horse power and you haven't had a 9 second run yet.....I've ran in the 9's my last two trips to the track....::hah::

:biglaugh:

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
jdub;1392986 said:
The outside case was machined, not cast...it wasn't as pretty as the Kazz though. From memory, the clutch discs were not carbon, but there were more of them vs stock. The new TRD LDS might use carbon discs...not too sure on that one. Mine is one of the original ones for the Mk III I was able to get new from a Toyota parts wholesaler.

Personally I prefer the way the TRD 1.5 way LSD handles vs a 2 way. There is less driver understeer correction required on decel...it's a personal preference.

yae some time is wish i whent with the 1.5 way and some times i like teh 2 way mostly road raceing /drift fuckeing around etc

but i find if you drive in the snow/slippy etc a 2 way can kill you

the part i was asking about was not the body but the cap some told me it was cast the same part duane broke ?

all so does the trd unit make any odd noise wheil truning around etc

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I'm not 100% sure Nash, but I remember the cap being machined as well....it's been a couple years since I installed it. After I broke it it, I run Red Line 75W-90 in it...there was some chatter with the 1st oil fill (Ford dino + modifier), but that has pretty much went away with the Red Line. The only time I ever hear anything is when I do a full deflection turn and that is minor. I chalk it up to the extra friction plates.

You are right about the 2 way...the understeer in a decel turn can get out of hand pretty quick. If it's wet/snow you can find yourself wrapped around a tree in a heartbeat.