Occasional White Smoke from exhaust on overrun after oil change. Help

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
Alright so I changed the oil last week and now when on the over run or when turning the car will shoot white smoke out the tailpipe for about 15-30 seconds then stop. It smelled like it was running a little bit rich before I did the oil change, and it spat this at the wall in my parents garage on startup. I'm somewhat embarassed to ask simple questions as such but you cant cover your face and ass at the same time can ya? My educated guess would be maybe I put in a little bit to much oil. Pics of what was on the wall:

a6f982ad-bff4-9f80.jpg

a6f982ad-c023-9b9d.jpg

a6f982ad-c04f-5715.jpg

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
jetjock;1859790 said:
I'm curious: what would be your uneducated guess?

Hahahaha. This guy. Hahaha.

Op: too much oil will not cause that. That looks like maybe simply exhaust residue (with maybe some oil mixed in) with condensation being spat out on startup.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
jetjock;1859790 said:
I'm curious: what would be your uneducated guess?

the same thing I suppose...

suprarx7nut;1859793 said:
Hahahaha. This guy. Hahaha.

Op: too much oil will not cause that. That looks like maybe simply exhaust residue (with maybe some oil mixed in) with condensation being spat out on startup.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

That would be the smoking too? My other guess would be the turbo going bad as thats what I always thought white smoke usually was. I figured maybe a bad line going to the turbo or something, it boosts well.

Jyrydr

I Wanna Go Fast
May 26, 2012
Western Australia
White smoke'll be steam most prob, the black shit is most prob just carbon out your exhaust, its probably always there but cant see at higher revs.
Maybe water in fuel, we had that prob here, dodgy servo.

Its not an oily texture by the look, powderey? just carbon

P.S. i went to buy an old banger yesterday to get me around while supra still off road, didnt buy coz rust bucket, broken window etc Yellow Licky magnet.
Ran the car for few minutes and it left the same shit all over the driveway, i checked it and its just water and carbon.
That was a VL commodore with the holden version of nissans RB30, no turbo.

Jyrydr

I Wanna Go Fast
May 26, 2012
Western Australia
OK, scrap my water theory/s

DOUBL3 D;1859794 said:
My other guess would be the turbo going bad as thats what I always thought white smoke usually was. I figured maybe a bad line going to the turbo or something, it boosts well.

Doesn't smoke more under boost/load/accel, shouldnt be turbo. (and your turbo hasnt shat itself. if not getting oil, wont last long)

wheres your oil pressure at? wasnt through the roof at any point? low now? too much oil creates high oil pressure, blow seals etc
Is your oil level going down?

check compression to eliminate piston rings/valve seals.
check plugs while out for oily residue-will cause misfire- caused by failed rings or worn valve guides

certainly sounds more likely to be piston rings or something with valves if she(assuming yours is a lady) is burning oil. if so, work out which cylinder, take it from there

that all said, lookin at your pics over and over, it just dont look oily, just water and carbon

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
Jyrydr;1860411 said:
OK, scrap my water theory/s

Doesn't smoke more under boost/load/accel, shouldnt be turbo. (and your turbo hasnt shat itself. if not getting oil, wont last long)

wheres your oil pressure at? wasnt through the roof at any point? low now? too much oil creates high oil pressure, blow seals etc
Is your oil level going down?

check compression to eliminate piston rings/valve seals.
check plugs while out for oily residue-will cause misfire- caused by failed rings or worn valve guides

certainly sounds more likely to be piston rings or something with valves if she(assuming yours is a lady) is burning oil. if so, work out which cylinder, take it from there

that all said, lookin at your pics over and over, it just dont look oily, just water and carbon

Thanks for your help. Oil pressure was slightly low when I got the car tho its hovering around the middle now (on stock gauge though, need to get proper aftermarket one soon). Coolant temp gauge went up a few times however it didn't spike, and it was 99 degrees and I was in rush hour traffic. It leveled out though and was fine when I drove it to the underground lot where she securely slumbers for now. It did sound rough when it started but I gave it a little gas and revs leveled out around 1,300 before warming up.

She will be in the lot while I finish my last four days here at work before moving. I will be checking over everything when I get to St. Louis and have a nice cozy garage to work in :)

Just an update,