Obsolete MKIII parts; are there any?...yet?

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
My dealer didn't even ask me what color "hood emblem"(technically on the top front bumper) I wanted, and I didn't even think about it at the time(I thought they were hollow). I guess ones with the black background are the only ones still available. I'm debating whether to have the shop paint it to match the car, or if it'll look more bad-ass black, like a "Type R" emblem, lol. Def. a lot of black trim/mouldings on the car to match it...and it'll catch people's eye, like, "this aint no stock paint job!" lol

Last edited:

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I left mine black..

attachment.php

but of course I was going for the whole black/white thing..

then I took it off (and eventually it got stolen)..

tsupranami

Drain Bamaged
Mar 11, 2006
Eastern WA
I was told I have picked up two of the last short blocks left, with only one remaining in the U.S.
The oil pump drive shaft is no longer available.
All other internal engine parts have been available so far.

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
I noticed in all the recall stories on the news, all Lexuses have black emblems, so I feel more comfortable leaving it black now, lol, -LFA FTMFW! lol

Got this email today after asking my dealer if he cross-referenced any other targa mouldings from cars with blue, light gray, or burgundy interiors.

"I didn't even think to check other colors. I can have one tomorrow and it has the blue interior trim piece attached.

There are 6 blue mouldings left, 1 red moulding, and then that's it. I bet they'll be all gone after that.

I ordered the blue one for you, it will be here tomorrow when we open."

Cool! Now I just have to figure out how to peel back the plastic trim that's moulded onto the metal part, and glue on my old one, lol.

Last edited:

SuprAz

Jul 5, 2010
Grand Canyon State
Yea, like the cables running to the back of the alternator i simply could not find a pair, and i went to Toyota and they had one left in new york but i had to purchase the whole wiring harness for the whole vehicle. I said thanks have a good day and went to splice the cables myself. Not to much we can actually go and get now for MKIII's it sucks. But theres always another way :)

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
Hey Jeff, you probably know this one... Do any MK4 wheel center caps fit our five spokes? My dealer said there were only three MK3 ones left in the country. He thinks he might be able to get a fourth one from Japan, but it's anyones' guess...

MK3pizzadriver;1589060 said:
Cool! Now I just have to figure out how to peel back the plastic trim that's moulded onto the metal part, and glue on my old one, lol.

Yeeeeaahhh, the bodyshop is just going to paint it shadow gray, lol.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I think 1st Gen Lexus GS300 Center caps should fit, you just need to remove the logo, and fill in the old indent, but there are tons here (my mom had one, and they looked similar in size)..

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
Not many valve shims are left available. I was told by my Toyota parts guy (JJ) that I would have to wait at least 2-3 weeks for any to come in.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
MK3pizzadriver;1599577 said:
Hey Jeff, you probably know this one... Do any MK4 wheel center caps fit our five spokes? My dealer said there were only three MK3 ones left in the country. He thinks he might be able to get a fourth one from Japan, but it's anyones' guess...

I think (think) the MKIV caps will fit the 5-spokes, but I am not 100% sure. Either way, I'd bet Japan can still supply the A70 ones, just have your dealer order you the 4, you'll probably get it.

NTRA08;1599684 said:
Not many valve shims are left available. I was told by my Toyota parts guy (JJ) that I would have to wait at least 2-3 weeks for any to come in.

Toyota rarely stocks shims/buckets in large quantities, even for newer vehicles. The chances that you'll need 24 of 1 size is very unlikely, so keeping 10 or so of each size is usually more than enough. If you need more, Japan can supply. As long as a part is not out of production, you just have to wait if there is no stock. Sometimes you've got to wait for it to be made (like RHD A80 engine harnesses). I've waited 4-8 weeks for a part to come from Japan because it needed to be produced.

Engine parts like shims fit a lot of engines/vehicles, I doubt they'll be out of production any time in the near future.

Jeff

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Jeff Lange;1580912 said:
91-92 Shadow Grey cloth is as pictured.
91 Shadow Grey leather is grey.
92 Shadow Grey leather is black.

The term shadow grey should only be applied to the 92 cars which had the black leather and the darker centre console lid. The 91s, whilst they have darker plastic pieces are not referred to as shadow grey by Toyota, regardless of leather or cloth interior.

Check the brochures to confirm ;)

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Shadow grey was a common colour for Toyota, not just the Supra. It was used in other cars before 1992 as well (1990 Corolla, etc.) Also Toyota referred to the 1991 interior as Shadow Grey in all of their parts/accessory catalogs before the 92 was even introduced.

If you look at the 1992 USA brochure, not just the leather is called Shadow Grey, the cloth is as well. The cloth was basically a carry-over from 1991.

Regardless, just because one brochure from the US called it grey instead of shadow grey doesn't mean that most other literature from Toyota regarding it called it Shadow Grey for 1991.

Jeff

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
In the Japanese EPC the breakdown is a little inconsistent, but it does also make reference to a light grey interior for a 91.

The problem is wether Toyota are referring to the plastic or the fabric/leather color, and that is not always consistent.

In the 92 brochure it is termed "shadow grey leather interior" which implies the shadow grey is linked to it being leather, which I am not necessarily saying is correct

There term dark grey is used also.

It would be alot easier if Toyota were a bit more consistent with the nomenclature, however I see the shadow grey as being a 92 only thing where there were pieces that were darker than the plastics, this is where the "shadow" aspect of the nomenclature suddenly becomes descriptive of the interior

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Jeff Lange;1599856 said:
Shadow grey was a common colour for Toyota, not just the Supra. It was used in other cars before 1992 as well (1990 Corolla, etc.) Also Toyota referred to the 1991 interior as Shadow Grey in all of their parts/accessory catalogs before the 92 was even introduced.

If you look at the 1992 USA brochure, not just the leather is called Shadow Grey, the cloth is as well. The cloth was basically a carry-over from 1991.

Regardless, just because one brochure from the US called it grey instead of shadow grey doesn't mean that most other literature from Toyota regarding it called it Shadow Grey for 1991.

Jeff

yeah, shadow gray was available in other Toyotas, my girlfriend's 90 Corolla coupe had a shadow gray interior, when I first told her, she laughed at the fact that people sell Supra shadow gray interiors for thousands.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
HKS_TRD;1599858 said:
In the Japanese EPC the breakdown is a little inconsistent, but it does also make reference to a light grey interior for a 91.

For 91-92 in the EPC, every piece of plastic is referred to as Shadow Grey. Cloth/Leather in the 1991 EPC is referred to as Light Grey. Cloth in 1992 is referred to as Shadow Grey, Leather is called Black.

HKS_TRD;1599858 said:
The problem is wether Toyota are referring to the plastic or the fabric/leather color, and that is not always consistent.

The overall interior colour is referred to as "Shadow Grey," which all interior parts are with exception of the seat material, which is either "Light Grey" (1991 Cloth & Leather), "Shadow Grey" (1992 Cloth) or "Black" (1992 Leather).

HKS_TRD;1599858 said:
In the 92 brochure it is termed "shadow grey leather interior" which implies the shadow grey is linked to it being leather, which I am not necessarily saying is correct

Actually the 92 brochure is termed "Shadow Grey Interior" for cloth, and "Shadow Grey Leather Interior" for leather, which actually had black leather, not grey leather.

1992_brochure.jpg

HKS_TRD;1599858 said:
There term dark grey is used also.

Occasionally, lol.

HKS_TRD;1599858 said:
It would be alot easier if Toyota were a bit more consistent with the nomenclature.

I definitely agree.

HKS_TRD;1599858 said:
However I see the shadow grey as being a 92 only thing where there were pieces that were darker than the plastics, this is where the "shadow" aspect of the nomenclature suddenly becomes descriptive of the interior.

This is where I disagree. 1992 Shadow Grey leather interior has black leather, no other Toyota shadow grey interior has black anything, so I don't see how you can say it has to have darker materials to be considered Shadow Grey, when even Toyota called the 1992 cloth interior "Shadow Grey."

Toyota's EPC calls everything in the interior Shadow Grey for 1991-1992, with the exception of the seat material, which like I said was referred to as "Light Grey" (1991), "Shadow Grey" (1992 Cloth) or "Black" (1992 Leather).

In the end it doesn't matter that much, does it? I mean 86-90 had Medium Grey, there were 3 kinds of cloth used during those years, and 2 types of leather. If we only consider 92 Leather interior to be called Shadow Grey, what are we going to call 91-92 cloth interior or 92 cloth? They have all the same plastics and carpet, etc as the 92 "Shadow Grey" interior, and nothing the same as the 86-90 Medium Grey. Are we going to make up another name? LOL.

In fact, the only interior Toyota consistently always calls Shadow Grey in every instance is the 1992 cloth interior, as the 1992 Shadow Grey leather interior has black leather, not Shadow Grey leather.

Jeff

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
What's this drip molding I keep reading about? The part on the A-pillar around the side windows? I'm not understanding what piece has to be color-matched...as if it's inside the cabin.

Also, can anyone ballpark (in dollars) how much replacing the door window seals and commonly replaced pads would be? Mine are DESTROYED and also a bit bent... My drivers side window sometimes pops and jams on it's way up...and there is literally no water seal on that window. I'm assuming it would have to come from Toyota since the metal of the seal mates with the door?

Hell, I didn't realize the hatch is supposed to have an external rainwater seal that mates with the outside of the car (no gap), not just the neoprene/foam seal the hatch actually rests airtight on....until I saw the seals on a 89+ car I've been eyeballing. My car got shoddy detail work when it was repainted...hell my left front fender isn't even bolted on correctly and causes my mudflap piece to protrude a bit. :(

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
The part I was talking about that I needed painted is on the targa model only. The drip moulding(fancy name for the black exterior trim piece)on the targa itself is a one piece unit that comes with the interior trim piece attached to it, and also includes the channel for the window seal.

Here's a thread with window seal prices.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?127099-door-hatchback-and-targa-top-seals

Not sure where you are getting water in, but one thing you can do to keep water out is take off the inner door panel and glue a sheet of plastic to the door metal so no water can get in and soak the door panel. Should have came from the factory like that, but you know how it goes... That also helps with humidity in general. You should see little drain holes in the bottom of the door; -it's normal for some water to get in the door. Make sure there isn't a bunch of crud in the bottom of the door clogging those. I got replacement window sill mouldings not only for looks but also because they come with new felts, that's what keeps your window snug and rattle free when 1/2 rolled down. Could fashion some felts yourself though I suppose, if you're creative. The black trim(moulding) for the sill also comes with the rubber window scraper/seal attached, I paid $135 each for them at my local dealer.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
MK3pizzadriver;1599905 said:
The part I was talking about that I needed painted is on the targa model only. The drip moulding(fancy name for the black exterior trim piece)on the targa itself is a one piece unit that comes with the interior trim piece attached to it, and also includes the channel for the window seal.

Here's a thread with window seal prices.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?127099-door-hatchback-and-targa-top-seals

..............The black trim(moulding) for the sill also comes with the rubber window scraper/seal attached, I paid $135 each for them at my local dealer.

Thank you! ....holy poop. I was afraid it would be pricey. I've gone years without this so I'll probably be ok, mostly an annoyance. I'm missing the rubber on my window seal, so water that hits the window just goes down into the door and drains out the bottom.

As for the hatch, that doesn't leak but I believe making sure one has the external body-body seal rather than just the seal the hatch rests on would make the tail light seals last longer...
Although i'm now wondering if pre-89 cars even HAD that seal, because I don't remember seeing pieces of them on my car.

Jeff Lange;1599939 said:
86-88 was 204 Black Metallic (which, ironically has no metallic in it)
89-90 was 206 Black Ruby Mica
91-92 was 202 Black

Jeff

Is there a chart for telling the original color of a car by it's VIN? I vaguely remember reading about that....i think.