NPR piston measurement?

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Have all my measurements on my block, and was looking to replace all my pistons. I was wondering what I can expect as far as measurements on the standard sized NPR pistons. If anyone has measured their own or has the factory measurements or something I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
-Stu

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
well the best way to go about that would be the next size up pistons and bore the cylinders to match the pistons.

a set of pistons still has slight difference is sizes and when the cylinders are bored to match the pistons, they should be numbered with the cylinder they were bored to match.

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
hvyman;1496648 said:
well the best way to go about that would be the next size up pistons and bore the cylinders to match the pistons.

a set of pistons still has slight difference is sizes and when the cylinders are bored to match the pistons, they should be numbered with the cylinder they were bored to match.

I understand that, but I am trying to get this done with just honing a little bit, Just need to double check on what about the measurements are on those to see if my oil clearances will be ok.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Stock sized NPR pistons should be, well...stock sized. Measure your bore, find stock piston size, compare to stock piston/wall clearance according to TSRM. If it's over, might want to go +.020 on the pistons and get it bored/honed accordingly. Make sure to tell your machinist your target piston to wall clearance.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
There are hardly any STOCK SIZE or STD SIZE parts in a 7m. Ever heard of select fit? Pistons, rods, crank, bearings, cylinder bore, everything is select fit and comes in about 5 different sizes of each. There is no one STD size so it seems he is trying to figure out if he can use the "std size" npr's with his select fit stock Toyota bores and still get an appropriate piston to wall clearance.

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
WhtMa71;1496878 said:
OK then sounds like he's SOL without a set of pistons in his hands...
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=78

I have a set of stock pistons, but they are number 2's. Just trying to find out if anyone has ever measured their NPR's. It looks like I am going to have to buy a set and check myself. If they wont do then I will just re-sell them. I'll post measurements in here for future reference.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
redhot91gt;1496902 said:
I have a set of stock pistons, but they are number 2's. Just trying to find out if anyone has ever measured their NPR's. It looks like I am going to have to buy a set and check myself. If they wont do then I will just re-sell them. I'll post measurements in here for future reference.

Try and get one of the sellers to measure a set for you..granted they know what they're doing..

Actually, I'm sure Aaron at Driftmotion could help you out since they sell them.

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
hvyman;1496973 said:
why dont you just use the stock pistons? same thing as npr basically.

the ones I have? well my number one cylinder had low compression, the pistons looked like they were getting hot. (bad tuning + too much boost) and #1 has a very small crack on the 2nd compression ringland which is probably why I only have 75psi in that cylinder. No there are not any scrapes/gouges in the cylinder. I suppose I could try to order just another piston and a set of rings, but I am worried about the used pistons, because they may have gotten hot aswell. Buying all new toyota pistons is a little expensive for me. If I have to go that route I might just go ahead and go forged and bore it out.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
New pistons in old holes is a bad idea as they're NOT going to be straight and round.

Even a light hone to break the cylinder glazing is going to make the piston to bore clearence way too big for cast pistons and it will slap like a bitch.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
npr is not forged. there stock replacement pistons. probe's, je, weisco, cp etc.. are forged.

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
hvyman;1497057 said:
npr is not forged. there stock replacement pistons. probe's, je, weisco, cp etc.. are forged.

Please... I never said NPR's were forged. I dont know where you got this from what I was saying.

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
IJ.;1497036 said:
New pistons in old holes is a bad idea as they're NOT going to be straight and round.

Even a light hone to break the cylinder glazing is going to make the piston to bore clearence way too big for cast pistons and it will slap like a bitch.

So I guess its time to get some oversized pistons and bore it out then.

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
I just ordered standard size NPR pistons last night too, bad idea since I plan get the cylinders honed. Spoke to Aaron from DM and was able to change the order to the .20 over's. Whew!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
redhot91gt;1497032 said:
the ones I have? well my number one cylinder had low compression, the pistons looked like they were getting hot. (bad tuning + too much boost) and #1 has a very small crack on the 2nd compression ringland which is probably why I only have 75psi in that cylinder. No there are not any scrapes/gouges in the cylinder. I suppose I could try to order just another piston and a set of rings, but I am worried about the used pistons, because they may have gotten hot aswell. Buying all new toyota pistons is a little expensive for me. If I have to go that route I might just go ahead and go forged and bore it out.

redhot91gt;1497091 said:
Please... I never said NPR's were forged. I dont know where you got this from what I was saying.

i must have read it wrong. my apologize.