Not much air coming out of HVAC vents?

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Making this thread as a reference for people who have replaced a dead blower motor for your HVAC system in your car with a non OEM one and are having a hard time getting any air out of the vents. Knowing this would have saved me a lot of frustration.
Short story is my blower motor died during winter so i went to auto zone and was surprised that they happened to have one. Bought it, hardwired and installed it with a new gasket and was so disappointed at the amount of air coming out. It was LOUD too. Airflow was so pathetic i thought i might have reversed the polarity of the motor but nope, it just sucked that bad. Took the motor out with the cage and turned the fan on and it seemed to blow like crazy. For months i went around driving in hot and cold weather always pissed at how pathetic my climate control was. I thought something else must have been wrong so i started taking the system apart under the glovebox hoping i'd find something. Cleaned the evap (it was disgusting) and put if all back together and still shit flow. As a last ditch effort i swapped the blower motor out of my 91 and what do ya know, blew like crazy.

Moral of the story which a lot of you already might know. Don't buy motors from quickie auto parts stores. That is all.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Mine blows very well so if you're having an issue i'd look into it. Could also be that the PO had the ducting apart and installed it poorly or without the foam as well though.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I put a 4seasons brand 3rd party motor in my car when the stock one died and it was nice and strong. Just my experience.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
So, stick to OEM, and make sure you still have good insulation between the pipes?

JJ, are you suggesting that being hardwired is causing it to run at full power all the time, hence the noise level?

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
te72;1847694 said:
So, stick to OEM, and make sure you still have good insulation between the pipes?

JJ, are you suggesting that being hardwired is causing it to run at full power all the time, hence the noise level?

I think JJ misunderstood what i said.. I hardwired it because the replacement didn't have a connector on it.