Not just a dyno queen!

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
We entered the 1st Battle Of The `burg at New London Dragway in Lynchburg, Va. yesterday. A friend of mine and his family own an 1/8th mile dragstrip there.

http://www.newlondondragracing.com/

We arrived to firetrucks and police cars surrounding the entrance of the dragstrip. Marshall who founded Street Dynamic's, a custom turbo system building and tuning facility, and the event host had just watched his shop burn to the ground. No one was hurt, thank God, and he was able to save his R33 Skyline from the fire, but the freak fire demolished the shop and his equipment. Despite this Marshall and his family never wavered and put on an awesome event.

We entered and quailified for the heads up Quick 8 import field with both cars we brought, my 88 Supra and Jamey's 86 300ZX. Jamey drove his 300 and Adam Walker drove my Supra. I could not get the antilag to cooperate with me but despite that Adam and Jamey qualified in a side by side run with the Supra going an 8.15 @ 97 mph and the 300 running a 8.20 @ 92 mph on street tires. I will point out that this is the first time we had ever set foot on the track and only the 8th pass Adam had ever made in my 5 spd Supra.

Adam went on to win the event taking out a very nice and very quick 240SX in the finals that fell to mechanical failure.

I would like to thank Adam and Frank Walker of Walker racing, Jamey and Jeff, and last but not least my son, Shane for everything. I would also like to thank and commend Marshall and his family on hosting such a great event despite the chaos going on.

Sean

The runs on my Supra were made at 22 psi with Q16 fuel on 245/50 16 Nitto 555R's. Adam did a great job of launching a 3400 lb car with a 1.01 turbine housing and just the 2 step.

On a side note the crowd really seemed to enjoy Jeff and I making 21 psi of boost and setting the grass on fire under the car while sitting in the pit area.

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
IJ.;1158312 said:
Thanks for the vid Sean! :)

Can you describe in detail your start procedure from just prior to the burnout please?

He sets the line lock and drops the clutch at around 3000 rpm. The Supra and the Z both had 1.90 60 ft times.

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
IJ.;1158602 said:
Ahhh so you have someone drive for you?

Was looking for a more detailed step by step as I'm not a drag racer :)
(just curious)

That is pretty much the same way I did it when I drove also.

Pull out ahead of the water box and back in to a damp spot, no standing puddle. Pump the brakes and set the line lock. Get the tires spinning until it starts to push the car, then release the line lock and spin out past any water on to dry track. You can also do this without a line lock by hitting the brake pedal after the car gets spinning and holding it there.

Last edited:

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
IJ.;1159001 said:
Yep was more curious how you get a 700+ Mk3 to do anything other than a huge smoke show (Mine was a joke at 550) :D

Step one is to put a turbo on the car that makes it a gutless wonder under 5000 rpm.

Step two is to not launch over 5500 rpm

Step three is to not have the antilag work anywhere but in the pit

Step four is to apply this winning formula to a car that wieghs 3400 lbs without driver.

Sean