nooo 1jz

rshn117

Aug 16, 2008
se CT
so i finally got my supra together and running again, i started her up and started hearing a very light tapping noise but it was so quiet that i though its probably nothing...until it warmed up it got much louder and could be heard inside the car, it sounds similar to tapping knukles on the valve cover the noise comes and goes kinda fluctuates, taps a few times then stops im a noob to cars but my guess is that its rod knock:cry:

im goin to try to find someone with a vid cam to get a video of the car running

anyone know ukisash and know if he had problems with the 1j?, it was his car

Gritz

Aug 1, 2008
nc
rshn117;1141662 said:
so i finally got my supra together and running again, i started her up and started hearing a very light tapping noise but it was so quiet that i though its probably nothing...until it warmed up it got much louder and could be heard inside the car, it sounds similar to tapping knukles on the valve cover the noise comes and goes kinda fluctuates, taps a few times then stops im a noob to cars but my guess is that its rod knock:cry:

im goin to try to find someone with a vid cam to get a video of the car running

anyone know ukisash and know if he had problems with the 1j?, it was his car

lot of times it's just the lifters are starved for oil..a tic is usually lifters...you will know if you have rod knock....
good luck:icon_bigg

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
1j'z don't use lifters, they use a bucket over the valve spring and shims to adjust the clearence. Check the shim clearence on your cams if the noise sounds like its right under the valve cover.

rshn117

Aug 16, 2008
se CT
if anything there might be a lil too much oil , ill drain some out till its exactly at full
im hoping its the lifters or something in that area but the sound is inconsistent it kinda goes tap, tap, TAP, tap, ..., ..., tap, tap, TAP, tap

someone told me the oil channels might be clogged, is there any kind of cleaner i can run with the oil then flush it out?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Mine taps because the shims are out of spec in the head.

It can also be a loose flywheel, but that's unlikely. A quick way to tell is see if the noise changes when you push the clutch in.

Did you clearance the bottom end when you got the motor by any chance?