Noob Trying To Rebuild!.....7mgte

smokemkevo

May 28, 2009
Well I first started ripping her apart to put in a new head gasket. When i got down to the head i noticed that a piston has a small hole n cracked. :aigo:
So i guess when it got hot must of caused it, not sure. Also The Head Needs To Be redone n smoothed down. Well anyways u think this 7mgte is worth the trouble or should i buy another 7mgte or a 1jz?

im a noob mechanic on a very low budget n this is my only car, after i sold my mazda mx6. haha

smokemkevo

May 28, 2009
smokemyocum;1356029 said:
Well I first started ripping her apart to put in a new head gasket. When i got down to the head i noticed that a piston has a small hole n cracked. :aigo:
So i guess when it got hot must of caused it, not sure. Also The Head Needs To Be redone n smoothed down. Well anyways u think this 7mgte is worth the trouble or should i buy another 7mgte or a 1jz?

im a noob mechanic on a very low budget n this is my only car, after i sold my mazda mx6. haha

Attachments

• 06-16-09_1703.jpg
    06-16-09_1703.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 37
  • IMAG0001 (2).JPG
    IMAG0001 (2).JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMAG0002.JPG
    IMAG0002.JPG
    367.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG0002 (2).JPG
    IMAG0002 (2).JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 74

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Budget you're on huh? Well the 1jz is anything but budget then. I am doing a 1jz right now. I went down the path of a t67 single so far.. and I will tell you it's expensive as hell. I enjoy every minute still.

I would go 7M for right now.

smokemkevo

May 28, 2009
thanks for the replys. how much u think it would cost to get it bore. or mill the head. redone at a shop?

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
smokemyocum;1356080 said:
thanks for the replys. how much u think it would cost to get it bore. or mill the head. redone at a shop?

$700-800 stock rebuild of head with it decked and cleaned. mine came to 739.99 and that was with a top end gasket kit and some helicoils in the exhuast side of the head

smokemkevo

May 28, 2009
ok thanks for the info. sounds like imma have to get daily driver for the meantime. i know where a eclipse gst that has some basic mods n a nos kit. but its has been flipped but can be redone easily. for 1 gran.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
since you already have a project car, why not get something stock, reliable, and good on gas for a DD in the meantime. last thing you want is 2 money pits.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
smokemyocum;1356672 said:
ok thanks for the info. sounds like imma have to get daily driver for the meantime. i know where a eclipse gst that has some basic mods n a nos kit. but its has been flipped but can be redone easily. for 1 gran.

That sounds like an awful car! LOL.

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
smokemyocum;1356029 said:

IMO, getting a used 7MGTE is a crapshot, at best, a bad idea, at worse. You might end up having to rebuild it anyways, so save your cash and rebuild the one you have. Less of an unknown factor. Overall, this is what i'd recommend. First off, get yourself a reliable, cheap DD that you don't feel like modding: Civic, Centra, etc. Forget about that Eclipse with nos you mentioned; You don't need another money pit, since you already have a bhg $upra. Pull the Supra motor, take it to a reputable shop in your area (ask other Supra people for recommendations). While the motor is out, replace as much old stuff as your budget allows. If you dont want to run more than say 10 psi, using a stock Toyota hg, with ARP bolts. If you seek more boost/power, put in a MHG, ARP head bolts or studs, and you're pretty much done. Not cheap, but you want to do this right, only once. GL.

Last edited:

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
watchu guys talkin about? the 7m is easy to work on... at least i think it is.

then again, its really the only motor i;ve ever worked on (internally)

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
smokemyocum;1356672 said:

You need a stock DD. Not a 2G 4g63 as it is prone to crank walk. You will find out that 4G63 are money pits as a supra. Turbo cars all are. I know plentiful about 4g63 as I have owned 5 of them previously and tuned them all. Put that 1 grand towards the 7m and be patience.

LordLo

Jun 20, 2006
OR
Just get a honda civic. Great on gas! Reliable! :naughty:

I'd never buy a flipped car; might look fine on the outside, but the body is probably all tweaked up a few inches here and there. Will probably need more than a grand to straighten up the entire body, body work, and paint. (By that time, you'd wish you would have just bought good eclispe to begin with... lol)

But yep, if you aren't doing a big HP build and just going for a stock rebuild, it should be pretty easy. Bore/hone, deck, line bore; get the crank turned and checked for straightness, new pistons/rings, bearings, thrust bearings, oil pump, and water pump. Get the head looked at and machined as necessary. Should be easy and cheap. The majority of the cost will be from machining.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
never buy a flipped car...ever. The frame is always tweaked, everything is weakened, and if the car spend even a minute running upside down, it could have severe engine damage, almost all car engines a wet sump, which means they need to remain upright.

LordLo

Jun 20, 2006
OR
True. And even for those "famed" bulletproof 1jz engines; they can be crapshots. A friend bought a 1jz front clip, swapped it all in. Didn't change a single gasket.... only to find the headgasket was somehow blown. Never ran right and eventually sold the car to some poor soul who revved it to the moon and blew a hole on the side of the block.

GotBoost?;1356709 said:
IMO, getting a used 7MGTE is a crapshot, at best, a bad idea, at worse.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
How awful! but hey he should have checked the car also so to him is own.

Yeah daily driver because you'll be gathering parts and such for a while and the bills will be calling haha I've got around $1800 in my parts and motor so far and still have some electronics to go but my car is GE so it drives fine :)

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
GEO METRO is a budget car. Or even a 86 chevette or even a pinto. I can promise you this. If your on a budget you better just go ahead and buy a dependable car you expect to drive a few years. You are in no way gonna just slap this car together in a couple months.
And it is not a car to do on a budget unless you have YEARS to dedicate to it.
my 2 1/2 cents