no tach

radicalskater

Banned
Jun 27, 2009
portland tennessee
have a small problem with my 89 supra. the tach doesn't work and i took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it as a bad igniter,i purchased one off ebay and still my tach doesn't work any ideas? is there a way to test the igniter make sure i didn't get a bum igniter?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
IGT is not the tach driver, it's a coil trigger signal. If the car runs, the igniter is getting a good IGT.
The wire you need to look at is IG- . It should be the black wire on the 6-pin (vehicle harness side) connector. That signal goes to the tachometer and the IG- terminal on the diagnostic connector.
I would guess your tach is bad, the wiring has issues, or you have 2 bad igniters on your hands. lol (that's the whole circuit)

The only way I know to test the tach signal is with an osciliscope, but that's not normal garage equipment. The only other way I know will work is swapping one of your ignitors into a Supra with a known working tach.

radicalskater

Banned
Jun 27, 2009
portland tennessee
89supra7mgte;1464508 said:
does the car run first? that part was left out and would be a major help in trying to diagnose.

to answer some questions yes the car is running fine i actually took it to the toyota dealer and they told me tach was working he did something to test it and said it was ok told me i had a bad igniter so i purchased one off ebay that the person said was working in his car i get it and blam nothing.

radicalskater

Banned
Jun 27, 2009
portland tennessee
toyotanos;1464424 said:
IGT is not the tach driver, it's a coil trigger signal. If the car runs, the igniter is getting a good IGT.
The wire you need to look at is IG- . It should be the black wire on the 6-pin (vehicle harness side) connector. That signal goes to the tachometer and the IG- terminal on the diagnostic connector.
I would guess your tach is bad, the wiring has issues, or you have 2 bad igniters on your hands. lol (that's the whole circuit)

The only way I know to test the tach signal is with an osciliscope, but that's not normal garage equipment. The only other way I know will work is swapping one of your ignitors into a Supra with a known working tach.

is there some way to eliminate the tach from the equasion im not sure how there tested?

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
tsrm is your friend i do believe they have procedures on it there? if not look at thewiring diagrams and see what wire for sure feeds the tach and make sure you are getting the signal. wish i was me detailed on my info but i am learning as well