no oil pressure

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
i just finished swapping in a rebuilt 7mgte in to my '88 na. i shimmed the oil pump 5mm. at first the oil pressure gauge was showing great pressure, within spec. then while i was breaking in the motor the gauge needle spiked all the way to the top then fell all the way down and stopped working. i had a bad front main seal leak but that is fixed now but there is still no oil pressure according to the gauge. the sending unit is brand new too. could this be an electrical problem or something wrong mechanically? thanks for any help

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
I guess the only way to tell if you have oil pressure would be to attach a gauge to the port where the sending unit is or pull off a cam cover and start it up to see if you have oil pressure.

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
i was thinking about getting an aftermarket gauge, since i wanted one anyway. maybe i'll get one sooner than i thought. while its running i looked under the oil cap and i can see some oil sloshing around but not as much as i would think there would be.

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
Dr Chill;1209926 said:
if its the factory gauge , dont trust it
Mine did the same thing , Im just gonna go aftermarket

yep, factory gauge. let me know if you get an aftermarket gauge and it reads pressure just fine.

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
^^
i took apart my oil pump and check clearances and all were within spec. theres no clanking or knocking noises so i don't think i have the problem that guy had. my oil pump is a brand new AISIN oem. hopefully its nothing like that guys pump blowing up.

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
well i'm definitely gonna fine the cause. i'm not blaming the gauge or anything. i've been told by a friend that judging by the way the needle spiked then fell and quite working that it sounded like an electrical problem. so its possible the sending unit is just bad, even though its brand new.