no heat

87'N/A

Aug 2, 2009
Auburn, WA
felt the hoses after driving it and making sure the car got nice and warm. they were warm but definitely not hot. and i could hear the motor actuating by the passenger side like you said. so any other suggestions? maybe it is the heater control valve and I'm just not testing it properly?

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
can you wrap your hand on one heater hose and last for more than 10 seconds holding? on my car i cant even go 5 seconds without my hand burning hot, but if the hoses are warm they should be at least giving off heat inside the cabin. put the temp to 85 on the climate control and look at the control valve, it should be looking like its pulled up (rod is not extended down)

87'N/A

Aug 2, 2009
Auburn, WA
I could definitely hold them for more than ten seconds, and i had the climate control all the way to 85 still no heat. Tomorrow I'll look at the control valve and see if it's up while i have the heat on, for some reason i don't think it is just from memory. Like i said earlier maybe when i test to see if that's the problem I'm doing it wrong. Maybe I didn't hold it up long enough? I'm pretty sure I'm pushing up the right part.

87'N/A

Aug 2, 2009
Auburn, WA
I guess I'm just going to buy a portable heater so i can at least defrost the windshield until I can find out what the problem is lol.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
even if u hold it up it will come back down, it needs constant vacuum applied to it, hmm grab a vacuum hose from like your egr or somethin and put it on the heater valve instead so the valve rod goes up, u should have heat by then. i might be in tukwila on saturday if you can make it down there i can help identify whats going on

87'N/A

Aug 2, 2009
Auburn, WA
Yeah that would be awesome. I can definitely meet you somewhere in Tukwila if you're there. I need all the help I can get because I honestly don't know what the problem is

Danlo

May 27, 2009
North Carolina
Hello Guys!
If you identify the problem, please let me know. Mine hase the same problem and I have checked the heater control valve (OK). The temperature control unit is working properly (I can see the heater control valve moving as I change the temperature settings). And I have a brand new heater core installed. Still cold air comes out.

Thanks
Danlo.

my89supra

Nov 21, 2010
new jersey
you can always do as i did and just put a connector between the hoses that run through the valve... just bypass the valve and u should have heat

ABNPayne

Jul 18, 2010
Macon, GA
my89supra;1645142 said:
you can always do as i did and just put a connector between the hoses that run through the valve... just bypass the valve and u should have heat

I zip tied my valve open for the season... You could do the same to find out if that is the problem, then decide if you just want to leave the zip tie in place. Come spring, one snip and its closed again.

87'N/A

Aug 2, 2009
Auburn, WA
ABNPayne;1645169 said:
I zip tied my valve open for the season... You could do the same to find out if that is the problem, then decide if you just want to leave the zip tie in place. Come spring, one snip and its closed again.

I'll try the zip tie thing but idk if it will work. I've held the valve open while someone was in the car and still no heat.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
almost sounds like coolant isnt moving. it will make a mess but drain the rad of antifrezze and fill with water. pull off the hose between the valve and the core. with engine running does water come out? if so put it back on and pull the other hose by the master and see if water is comming out of the core.

try that and see what happens, just be very carefull pulling the hoses off.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
ABNPayne;1645169 said:

Lol!
I just did the same thing.

MaxBoostedSupra

Sep 23, 2006
Grosse Ile, MI
Hello I just wanted to say that this exact thing happened to me about 3-4 years ago and it turned out I had a BHG. There was a small leak in between # 3 & 4 that I would have never noticed unless I pulled everything apart. I pulled the head off put all new gaskets on and it solved the problem. I don't want to scare anyone into thinking that's what it is but if your heater core hoses are not hottt and its blowing cold air then... I would take a look at that. I way i see it is... the small leak in the HG with the pressure from the water pump pushes the coolant into the cylinder and disrupts the flow going to the heater core. When it is warm and i rev it up and hold it at about 1500 RPM it will blow warm air in and as soon as i let off it goes away. It is such a small amount of coolant in the cyl. and that's why you don't get the giant white smoke ploom. Thing is I never decked the head and I'm back to square one again. Although it lasted 4 years, I'm still doing it again. Do it right or do it twice! Let me know if the same symptoms are happening to you.

Danlo

May 27, 2009
North Carolina
I have to disregard the BHG as an option for mine. Even a small leak like you mention would require the addition of more fluid eventually. My coolant levels have been on the line since purchase the car. I am more inclined to the motor for the heater core door not working. I just haven't got the time to check.

Ace

Apr 2, 2010
Paramount, California
Damn im having the same problems with my car right now, I just replaced the heater control valve it goes up and down no prob. but theres no heat in the car? I just read about the heater control unit itself being bad and mine is kinda going out so ill replace it and see what that does. but what i want to kno is how do you access the heater core door is that all the way under the dash cause thats gonna suck to have to pull everything apart again....

Ace

Apr 2, 2010
Paramount, California
ABNPayne;1654339 said:
Ace, you do not have to remove the dash to test the door, here's the TRSM testing info on the system.

http://cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=AC&P=38 thru page 45

Oh ok Ill check that first, well what about the seals between the air ducts how much of a difference would that make if they werent sealed? alot ? alittle? not significant? cause I replaced my heater core A couple of months ago but because it hasnt been too bad with the weather I havent used it and my heater control valve was broke so I replaced that like a month ago, So I think that when I tore it apart I didnt replace or fix any seals so could that be it or something more devious? lol