No heat with a 180% thermostat in

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
I have no heat. It gets luke warm heat coming out of the vents. I drove the the wife to work this morning ( 20 mile journey) still with the fan on high at 85 on the temp setting still blowing cool not hot. I have a new 180 thermost just put in when I did the head gasket. All coolant lines were replaced when I did the head gasket. Vacuum line to the heater valve is hooked up and I know for sure it has good vac. So could it possibly be the valve it self?

reeds420

Apr 20, 2010
Phoenix
Was the heat working fine before you changed out the thermostat? I used to have the same problem and I just ended up bypassing the valve. No problems ever since

reeds420

Apr 20, 2010
Phoenix
http://www.ddmcse.com/turbo/heatervs.htm

Basically take that long plastic hose that runs across the top of your firewall and unplug it from the vsv switch. Then plug the line you disconnected into the diaphragm on top of the assembly. Not saying it will fix your problem but it did fix mine. Hope this helps!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Another thing to consider, the valve itself can stick from time to time. There is a little arm on the bottom of it, when it is pushed UP into the assembly, the valve is open, allowing hot coolant inside the car. If it's stuck down, you're in for a cold drive. Try squeezing that arm into the valve and letting it out a few times, should help if it's the valve at fault here.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
If you're looking to replace the valve with one that's cheap and easy to find, get one from a camry (not sure what year, but if you walk through a junk yard you should be able to figure it out). You'll need to mount it up somehow, but it does the same thing.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I was having this problem with my car. I was researching on the forums a while back and I learned that when you get a bhg, the heater core often blows a hole in it. So right now my car is down for the winter and I have the interior all apart. My car had a bhg 3-4years ago and it got fixed. But I just checked the heater core and sure enough it is misting/spraying when I pressurized it with water while I had it out of the car. This might be something you want to check. Especially since your car once had a bhg.

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
Ok I set guys forgot all about this post. It was 16 degrees that morning so it was cold for where I live in Oklahoma.
When it I'd would say around 30 degrees here it works ok but I can smell coolant inside the car and I'm losing about a 1/4 of a cup of coolant a week not bad but I think my heater core is crapping out.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
^Another thing to check out that happened to me a couple years ago was that we didn't put the hoses going into the firewall onto the nipples of the heater core far enough. End result? Coolant continually dripped onto the carpet on the driver side of the interior firewall. Not only did I have pink carpet, I had a rather toasty interior, and was losing coolant gradually due to said leak.