No boost. sigh

8uwav6

Mar 31, 2008
Rolla, Mo
Everything was great on my way in to work this morning. Get off the interstate and stopped at the light. My daughter had "we Will Rock You" cranked up and I noticed the car did not seem to pick up as fast as normal. I didn't think anything about it till I dropped her off at school and turned the radio down. Then I could hear the boosted air rushing like a hose was popped off, this happened on my truck so I was familiar with the sound. Pulled into the shop garage and looked allover for a blown off hose, but cannot find one. Only had a few minutes before I had to move the car out of the shop to conduct business. I looked at the hoses from the intake manifold to the IC. IC to as close to the turbo as I could see and not a single loose or blown hose. Any ideas for me to look at after work?

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
It's possible there is a crack in one of the old, soft intercooler pipes. Do a search for a boost leak tester, build one and report back if you don't find any leaks.

8uwav6

Mar 31, 2008
Rolla, Mo
Quin;1018882 said:
It's possible there is a crack in one of the old, soft intercooler pipes. Do a search for a boost leak tester, build one and report back if you don't find any leaks.

Removed the air cleaner up hose in front of turbo. put a cap with air valve on it and pressurized system. Only gets up to about 3PSI. Going to try putting a block before intake manifold and try again.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
You checked the hose immediately after the turbo? They have a tendency to crack at the clamp. You can't see it unless you grab the hose beneath the turbo and squeeze it...
Just a thought.

8uwav6

Mar 31, 2008
Rolla, Mo
8uwav6;1019369 said:
Removed the air cleaner up hose in front of turbo. put a cap with air valve on it and pressurized system. Only gets up to about 3PSI. Going to try putting a block before intake manifold and try again.

Capped off pipe before the intake manifold crossover. So that leaves the turbo inlet to just before the TB. Looks like it may be leaking at the turbo outlet. Too hot to get my hands down there now. Will try again after my sons choir concert.

8uwav6

Mar 31, 2008
Rolla, Mo
IHI-RHC7;1019385 said:
You checked the hose immediately after the turbo? They have a tendency to crack at the clamp. You can't see it unless you grab the hose beneath the turbo and squeeze it...
Just a thought.

That is what looks like might be the problem. Is the a special hose or a local purchase trial and error fit hose?

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
They're quite spendy from toyota... $90. ouch.

I'd try slicing off the cracked part, and putting it back on. I've ran mine for years like that and not had a problem. I'm sure someone would sell/give you one for near nothing as they're useless once you upgrade your IC pipes.
There's a full set on ebay, the seller might be willing to sell just that piece...IC pipes

89TargaT

No Traction FTL...
Jan 30, 2008
Missouri
Hey man I'm down the road from you at Ft Wood. I'll be pulling off my lower hardpipe this week if you're interested in that. I would offer the stock one but, like yours, it's cracked.

89TargaT

No Traction FTL...
Jan 30, 2008
Missouri
Yeah it goes from the turbo outlet to the intercooler. Factory one is two pieces but this one is one piece.

8uwav6

Mar 31, 2008
Rolla, Mo
Well crap. I removed the hose just at the turbo outlet and it looks great. Reinstalled and pressurized cool system. To me is seems to be leaking from the turbo center section. I sprayed some water on it but cannot see any bubbles. Is it possible to leak from the center section?

8uwav6

Mar 31, 2008
Rolla, Mo
89TargaT;1019504 said:
Hey man I'm down the road from you at Ft Wood. I'll be pulling off my lower hardpipe this week if you're interested in that. I would offer the stock one but, like yours, it's cracked.

I am down in Waynesville about once a week or so. Just sold a couple diesel ZTR mowers to MWR out there on Arsenal road.

8uwav6

Mar 31, 2008
Rolla, Mo
Yep, between the turbine and compressor. That sure a heck sounds like where the air is escaping. The compressor wheel has more play in it than I think it should, guess it is time to put a turbo at it. What supporting vendors sell turbo's?

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
are you looking for one with a upgraded trim? or just a stock replacement? you could pick a used stocker up from the For sale section, Or if your looking for a fresh rebuild or a upgrade Aaron at driftmotion or MDC are two good choices

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Have you checked the wastegate actuator arm? I had mine pop off once and the car became a slug. You will know if its a boost leak as you will be chuffing black smoke if its big enough to affect performance to the extent you say.

8uwav6

Mar 31, 2008
Rolla, Mo
x87SUPRA87x;1020371 said:
are you looking for one with a upgraded trim? or just a stock replacement? you could pick a used stocker up from the For sale section, Or if your looking for a fresh rebuild or a upgrade Aaron at driftmotion or MDC are two good choices
Probably a stock replacement, depending on price of course.

Down but not out;1020375 said:
Have you checked the wastegate actuator arm? I had mine pop off once and the car became a slug. You will know if its a boost leak as you will be chuffing black smoke if its big enough to affect performance to the extent you say.
Very little smoke, only at start up really. I will double check the arm though tonight.

suprarcr89

The Juggernaut has my old
hey remember I told you about when i bought the car that the turbo had two spots for the wastegate actuator hose and that one of them was open.. I bought a vacuum block off and screwed it in but it could have come back out due to pressure and vibration over time its right below where the air comes in to the turbo dont know why it would have come out because it was the right thread size and I tightened it.. check there sounds like the same thing i had and it was that....

8uwav6

Mar 31, 2008
Rolla, Mo
So last week I sent my turbo off to Aaron at driftmotion. Today he called and told me that I tore the crap out a the turbo. He said it had a cracked exhaust housing near the wastegate hole. He is sending me the turbo back and I will post pictures here, should be some goo carnage pixs. Also he is sending me a 57 trim turbo. Cant wait to get the car running again.