Nick's 1989 Supra

Slick Nick

Apr 8, 2008
Youngstown, OH
Well I finally got a chance to take some pics of my Supra that I just bought back in August sometime. The car has been put in storage last week due to the lovely Northeast Ohio weather.

In any case the car is still how it is in the pictures and how it was when I bought it.

The good: Targa top, engine is stock, no rust, engine runs great, very clean.

The bad: N/A, power steering pump went out recently, power steering fluid and clutch fluid leaking somewhere, the orange light on the dash in the last picture; i dont know what it means so if someone could help me out thatd be great.

THe car is pretty much completely stock except for the wheels, wing, K&N air filter, muffler, and CD player. I plan on starting to get parts together to swap in the GTE over the winter.

l_a243e368114ab8ce7618b67bfcd10f6c.jpg

l_fccb6166de68a1756d3bce8879195349.jpg

l_b9150dde79f1ce7447ba7219b339aa4a.jpg

l_84c9771895283b745e70cb839e5b9088.jpg

l_c2ff612f72aacb34439797e0d05ae082.jpg

l_6d785ab0f7e149d4f3d88675662f0693.jpg

Like I said, I dont know what the orange light on the dash means, it seems to do it more before the car gets warmed up and when I am moving.

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
it means your coolant resevior is low.. fill it up. (before you drive) you might be MORE then low on coolant.
I'm hoping your taking that wing off?

Nice car otherwise..

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
Nomad707;1167243 said:
it means your coolant resevior is low.. fill it up. (before you drive) you might be MORE then low on coolant.
I'm hoping your taking that wing off?

Nice car otherwise..

No it means your bird has escaped :icon_razz :biglaugh: !

On a more serious note the car looks great aside from the MkIV wing but clean car overall...

So your planing on doing a GTE swap, do you have any other plans for the car aside from the engine?

Slick Nick

Apr 8, 2008
Youngstown, OH
Not really sure, im more concerned with making some more power at this point.

Ill probably put different wheels on it and get a wider tire on the back once I get the swap done. From what has happened to me so far, im probably going to have to replace a lot of hoses and minor components because just from me driving it for about a month straight, I have been leaking clutch fluid, leaking power steering fluid, and apparently leaking coolant, or my bird cage is empty, one or the other.

So... idk, i know the guy I bought it off of so unless he bold face lied to me about not having these problems, its probably just from being driven way more than it was used to and problems resulting from that.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
check your coolant before being concerned with making power! however it could just be a stuck sensor. nice car though

Slick Nick

Apr 8, 2008
Youngstown, OH
So the car has been in storage for the past month or so. I havent had the chance to address the problems with leaks that I have had.

So here is my overall, general plan is as follows:

- track down exact problems and fix leaks on car as it sits, I will give more details on what I find when I get a chance to work on it.

More importantly:
- Get a hold of a 7M GTE complete engine w/ECU
- Start accumulating aftermarket parts. Im not exactly sure all that I will need and as such I have been reading up on this site.

Off the top of my head, some of the parts that I will want to replace/upgrade : forged internals, block (hot tanked, honed, decked), head resurfaced, metal head gasket, new intake, header.

Not sure what needs done with the head other than the head studs, MHG, and get it resurfaced. Suggestions?

Basically, I want to do a lot of the more difficult upgrades while the engine is out of the car so that I dont have to pull out the engine once its in.

So Once I have the engine built, I want to basically have just a week or two of downtime. Up until the GTE engine is ready I want to be able to drive the car which is why I want to try to do it this way. Then swap in the the GTE and keep on rollin.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best or most reputable place where I can get a GTE long block? or any take on what I have listed?

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
nice car man, other than the shopping cart handle on the back.

oh wait....that's probably there so you can push the car home when it breaks down.:biglaugh:

rs4rush

Jan 25, 2007
Kirkland, Wa
Sense I'm assuming you dont have a TSRM... Get one! It will make a world's of a differance when working on our cars. Please take the wing off! But other than that its a nice looking car! White's the best color ;)