newbie from Pacific Northwest

mnm3_8

Jul 15, 2013
where it rains. A LOT
Hi all, I recently purchased a '90 Mk3 for my son and a couple weeks later it had a BHG and rod knock so I'm going to jump right in and do an engine swap. The upside is he gets a manual transmission sooner than he thought, and I get to learn new wiring nightmares, LOL.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
When pulling that motor, just remove the wiring harness at the ECU and push it through the firewall. Leave all of the wiring on the motor, it will be much easier to remove it all out of the car. Also, pull the motor and transmission together. You're gonna want that auto out anyway, and it's easier to do it that way anyway.

mnm3_8

Jul 15, 2013
where it rains. A LOT
Thanks for the tips and the welcome! I can't wait until the engine gets here so I can see what shape the harness is in since the present one is getting pretty bad. I'm hoping I can make 1 good one out of the 2.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
Welcome to the PacNW group! There are quite a few meets that happen around here, especially down south in the Federal Way area. I'm up on Whidbey and am planning a drive along the Columbia River between the Tri-Cities and Portland either late August or early September. Hopefully you will be able to come along by then!

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
mnm3_8;1953247 said:
Woodinville, don't have any pics yet but will definitely get some as this project goes along.

Man, there's a lot of PacNW people joining.

If you ever need any advice, I'm probably as local as it's gonna get - live near Cottage Lake :D

Kevin

mnm3_8

Jul 15, 2013
where it rains. A LOT
KevinM;1954172 said:
Man, there's a lot of PacNW people joining.

If you ever need any advice, I'm probably as local as it's gonna get - live near Cottage Lake :D

Kevin

sweet, thanks. I'm just starting to order replacement parts, am going to pressure wash the engine bay and start reassembling. Probably won't really get a good start on things until after Sea Fair though.....