New turbo wobbles. Put it on?

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
I need some input please guys:

First things first:
I've bought an upgraded fresh rebuilt turbo. It looks perfect and the seller/rebuilder has been nothing but kind and honest to me.
I've contacted him about the matter and we are still in the process of 'what to do next'. I will NOT mention his name until everything is resolved (or the shit hits the fan)

The matter:
As I do not have excellent expertise in turbochargers I saved the turbo in the box until my friend would come over to my house to slam on this great new turbo. in the mean time it has been out of the box only 2 times. Once for pictures, and once for showing my all-new penis extension to a couple of friends.
However yesterday (a month after the turbo came in), when we wanted to put it on we saw that the turbo wobbles when you spin it. It seems like the shaft is bent or something.

I made a movie of the wobbling:

http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=1516793365858745546
other movie with shitty sound:
http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=4152577639882680925&hl=nl

I contacted the seller and he says that I should put it on and when it breaks he'll source me an other 57 trim and replace the turbo.
I have a strong and recently rebuilt 7M and I don't have the money for another rebuild. I'm afraid that if or when the turbo breaks, It'll destroy my engine. If it does it's bye bye supra for me. :(

What should I do?
(Again: this topic is not about bad sellers or bad transactions. I will NOT mention any names. I'd just like some input on what to do)

thanks.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Hard to tell from those Vids, is it rubbing the housing at all?

Personally if you have doubts I wouldn't run it as if it does let go it's going to cause more damage than just the Turbo.

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
IJ. said:
Hard to tell from those Vids, is it rubbing the housing at all?

Personally if you have doubts I wouldn't run it as if it does let go it's going to cause more damage than just the Turbo.

Well it sometimes rubs the housing.

I can spin it by hand and sometimes it feels like it runs free but also sometimes it's rubbing the housing and it won't spin free and come to a sudden stop when i stop spinning it while I expect it to slow down and stop because it should run free of resistance.

I'm a little reluctant to put it on because of the 'collateral' damage that can occur when this baby breaks.

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
I did not put the turbo on the car yet, so I can't tell you what pressurised oil would do to the turbo.
We put the turbo full of oil on my workbench and got the results as stated above.

My friend has 2 upgraded ct-26 turbo's and he says he never had the issue I have now. Not even when he tested them without installing it on the car.

Can the improper balance/wobbling be caused by the turbo not being installed on the car? Is the issue I have normal and will it go away when i install it?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
From what I can see in the video (which is really crap quality, btw, so it's hard to tell) it looks like the 'wobble' you are seeing, is just the nut being cut down on one side. It's very hard to tell, but the fins and the shaft seem to stay centered.

If the turbo is fresh, then it probably has assembly lube in it. You're not supposed to let the turbo spin until you've had hot fresh oil from the engine run through it for 10-15 minutes (well, that's how I do it ;))

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
Yes i'll try to make a better video asap. Ofcouse we don't spin the turbo a lot, but you have to test it before putting it on, right? ;)
And it's definatly not just the nut. the shaft does not stay centered at all. :)

I keep my hands from the turbo as much as I can. For me it's a lot of money and I really don't want to ruin it.

Still uncertain what to do now...

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
Take it to a turbo service shop and have them test it. Otherwise I would not put it on and risk the thing coming appart on boost, taking out your entire motor.

MA70Snowman

Oct 17, 2006
San Diego
IJ. said:
Spinning it by hand on the bench isn't going to hurt anything....:nono:

can't blame the kid for being cautious, its like a kid w/ a lizard they're a little tennative at first till they realize playing w/ it can't hurt them. plus i'm sure for the money he's dropped into it, he's probably a little hesitant.

I second the motion of taking it to a diesel shop and having them test it. i had one of mine done at a local shop 35$. that price is well worth the piece of mind you would get from it.

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
MDCmotorsports said:
I betcha that turbo was built using assembly grease. Some rebuilders use a grease instead of an oil. This could be why its not spining freely....

Ok thanks for the input.
Great to have some turbo experts chime in here on this topic. :)

Shouldn't the turbo start spinning freely after i poured oil in it?

My friend has a rebuilt turbo 62-1 and that one was rebuilt by MDC (Jon if i'm not mistaking?) .
The upgrade was already done previously, but MDC replaced the bearings, seals and exhaustwheel. Do you also use grease instead of oil?
His turbo spins free of resistance. Anyway, that turbo doesn't have the issues i'm seeing. :)

update:
My seller got back to me via pm/email.
I will take it to a local shop for a professional opinion. If it's okay I will slam it on. Otherwise I was told to send it back and he would check it out for me free of charge.

Thanks for all the replies.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
ATL88Supra said:
fill it up with some oil them spin it, its free floating soooooo there is now a gap where there needs to be oil,

i dont know why anyone would use grease on a turbo thats just silly

Really? In your mighty turbo wisdom, go tell your findings to Holset Turbo INC. about how they are "Just doing it all wrong!"

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
ATL88Supra said:
fill it up with some oil them spin it, its free floating soooooo there is now a gap where there needs to be oil,

i dont know why anyone would use grease on a turbo thats just silly

assembly lube is alot thicker than engine oil so it stays on the parts untill you run the engine and it dissolves in the engine oil, why not use it??