New turbo!! (maybe)

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
So my dad's got an 87 GN that he bought with a 49mm garrett ceramic BB t3 flange, 3" in 3" out turbo already on it (alone with some other shit). Long story short, he's already bought a turbonetics TE-66. I've got the chance to get his turbo from him. Here's my question:

The turbo he runs isn't water cooled, it's just oil cooled. If I were to block off the water ports that cool the ct26 would that be acceptable?

Here's my list of things to buy:
SSAC manif
Braided oil lines/AN fittings
fab up blockoff plate for water lines, possibly just cap them.

Already got 550's with lex on the way.

Am I missing anything??

Thanks everyone,
Brandon

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Brandon:

Make sure you have a wastegate unless that turbo is internally gated.

Also, you'll need to make a custom intake for the turbo, as I doubt the stock ct26 accordian hose will do.

As for the water lines, you can get some 7mge N/A fittings. The hose turns from "turbo feed & return" to "water bypass".

Turbo. Targa. Life.

Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
MDCmotorsports said:
Brandon:

Make sure you have a wastegate unless that turbo is internally gated.

Also, you'll need to make a custom intake for the turbo, as I doubt the stock ct26 accordian hose will do.

As for the water lines, you can get some 7mge N/A fittings. The hose turns from "turbo feed & return" to "water bypass".

I was hoping you'd chime in Jon :)

Turbo is internally gated.

Thanks for the info on the N/A fittings, I know a buddy with an N/A parts car, :woot:

I plan on doin a custom intake...I hate that stupid accordian pipe. polished stainless FTW. How will I make the AFM fit in there though? Just have a shop put a flat spot, a hole, and 2 taps in there to hold it in place?

Turbo. Targa. Life.

Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Damn. Oh well. Silicone it is.

I thought the SSAC manifold was a T3/T4 universal? Well shat. Jon, how much for an adaptor plate?

OH, and I was just informed that it's NOT a BB turbo...how the fuck does this turbo not get that hot?

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
BB isnt for heat. Its for spool and longevity. I ran a ct26 oil colled only when i was waiting for one of my other turbos to get rebuilt. it was a temporary thing and i wouldnt suggest it long term. my jt61gt and the older sp61gts are oil cooled only.

t3/t4 are 2 different flanges that are similiar looking but wont work interchangeably. it sould like you need to do some more research before you attempt to make use of this turbo.

for instance, what are some of the other specs on this t3 turbo? a/rs would be very useful to know.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
My bet is the hot side AR is going to be too large for the 7M. (The Buick is a 3.8L engine, so it might be close, but I'm guessing the AR will be closer to a 1.0 than a .65...)

If that is the case, it may be a very slow spooling turbo, even though it's not that large of a compressor. (Being a T3 frame, it will be interesting to see what the AR really is on the hot side.)

I know IJ has run a T3 flanged, internally gated Garrett with a high number AR, but it was on a GT turbo, and they have a differently shaped turbine wheel that still spools up even when housed in a more "open" design. (Larger AR.)

Beyond this, I'm just curious. Free turbo's are never a bad experiment :)

Turbo. Targa. Life.

Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
I agree with your last statement Adjuster! Free turbos are always fun. If it fails, I sell the adaptor, stick with the CT and enjoy my braided lines haha.

MKIIINA, the "dickheaded" response wasn't really necessary. I'm an admitted turbo n00b, but I learn best by jumping in head first.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
it wasnt "dickheaded" reread what i said. you asked about oil cooled only and i answered, i explained why the t3 wont fit the t4 flange. i then commented that you needed to read some more on the topic and that some more info on the turbo would be nice. thats all

ps. you werent going to run the same lines for the ct26 and this turbo were you? im pretty sure you need 2 different sets as the braided lines for the ct are flanged differently then your t3 would be.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
i sell gn turbos. are you sure its a t3? most of those have the 3 bolt flange.

and adjuster, usually they have smallish a/r on them.;

edit-

here is a pic of a gn turbo. and my list says they are only avail in .63 and .85 a/r. as reference, the buick housing is a little larger than a t3, but smaller than a t4.

TA49.jpg