New Torsen for the MK3?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
The clutch plates (according to the online EPC) are between $12-16/each. There are 8. That's between $96-128 for all new clutch plates.

vs $650 for the T2 on ebay.

$130 vs $650.

Brand new vs used

A ZT differential isn't really a limited slip in the classical sense - it's a torque biasing device. Depending on what the Torque Biasing Ratio (TBR) is, you end up with around 2/3 maximum torque to either side.

Don't get me wrong, I like the ZT diff - I just don't see where it's worth $650+

If I came across a wrecked IS300 and snagged the diff for $100, then we'd be talking!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Torsens are better in corners

For drag racing or drifting, no, I'd run a tight stocker (with less friction modifier as well), but for raod racing and canyon carving the torsen is better.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Doward;1316355 said:
The clutch plates (according to the online EPC) are between $12-16/each. There are 8. That's between $96-128 for all new clutch plates.

vs $650 for the T2 on ebay.

$130 vs $650.

Brand new vs used

A ZT differential isn't really a limited slip in the classical sense - it's a torque biasing device. Depending on what the Torque Biasing Ratio (TBR) is, you end up with around 2/3 maximum torque to either side.

Don't get me wrong, I like the ZT diff - I just don't see where it's worth $650+

If I came across a wrecked IS300 and snagged the diff for $100, then we'd be talking!

That $130 is for the clutches, but those aren't the only parts needed for a rebuild right. I've read that they can commonly transfer 3/4 max torque to either side (3:1). Also, I wouldn't be capable yet to do the rebuild myself so I would have to pay for labour.

But you're right though, I don't plan on getting on in any other manner than from a scrapped/parted car for a discounted price.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Jeff Lange;1316172 said:
41301-53020

Torsen LSD from a JCE10 Altezza Gita RWD and the USDM Lexus IS300 (01-05).

Will definitely fit into the MA70 case, and I'm about 90% sure our axle stubs should fit it.

Jeff

Alright I have just a couple questions about this. I am seriously considering going with a 01-05 USDM lexus IS Torsen T2 and want to make sure that it fits. Has anybody tried this and confirmed that it worked and that our factory ring and pinion can still be used? If this is the case I will be doing this as my LSD has given up the ghost and I have a feeling even a rebuilt one will not last long the way the car is driven.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
Jeff Lange;1316302 said:
I verified some things before posting what I did:

The side bearings are the same between the A70 and the JCE10. TRD lists the same LSD for the JCE10 and the A70 (41301-JX001), which means ring gear fitment should be correct, as well as the dimensions should fit the MA70 case. The only thing that really concerns me is that the JCE10 axle stubs are likely approximately 6mm longer than the MA70 axle stubs. I doubt this would cause any real issues with the OEM Torsen LSD, however I can't say for sure whether or not it would cause any problems.

The reason I believe this is because the TRD LSD does not require any side shaft modifications to use in the MA70 pumpkin, however TRD states that the JCE10 shafts need to be shortened 6mm to be used with the their LSD.

T-2, not T-2R.

Jeff

supradjza80;1417819 said:
Alright I have just a couple questions about this. I am seriously considering going with a 01-05 USDM lexus IS Torsen T2 and want to make sure that it fits. Has anybody tried this and confirmed that it worked and that our factory ring and pinion can still be used? If this is the case I will be doing this as my LSD has given up the ghost and I have a feeling even a rebuilt one will not last long the way the car is driven.

I think that Geff's response is about as good as you will get with out trying it yourself. Sounds like the only question is the 6mm on the stubs.

Try it and let us know....some on has to be first :icon_bigg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Jeff Lange;1316302 said:
I verified some things before posting what I did:

The side bearings are the same between the A70 and the JCE10. TRD lists the same LSD for the JCE10 and the A70 (41301-JX001), which means ring gear fitment should be correct, as well as the dimensions should fit the MA70 case. The only thing that really concerns me is that the JCE10 axle stubs are likely approximately 6mm longer than the MA70 axle stubs. I doubt this would cause any real issues with the OEM Torsen LSD, however I can't say for sure whether or not it would cause any problems.

The reason I believe this is because the TRD LSD does not require any side shaft modifications to use in the MA70 pumpkin, however TRD states that the JCE10 shafts need to be shortened 6mm to be used with the their LSD.

T-2, not T-2R.

Jeff

I thought there was an issue with the Ring Gear mounting face to Bearing surfaces offset dimensions that stopped this working?

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
IJ.;1418965 said:
I thought there was an issue with the Ring Gear mounting face to Bearing surfaces offset dimensions that stopped this working?

Jeff do you have any information regarding this? I am going through with the purchase of the diff this winter and want to be as prepared as possible.

Also are all IS300 Lsd's torsens? Even the autos?

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
supradjza80;1454227 said:
Also are all IS300 Lsd's torsens? Even the autos?

It was an option but not standard on any cars, so they're pretty rare. Most of them just have an open diff.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
PureDrifter;1454815 said:
while the LSD portion iirc is the same, the gearing is different between manual and automatic models.

manual=3.727:1
automatic=3.909:1

http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/2002/2002ISspecs.pdf

Yes, but I thought we were only talking about the LSD portion of it. I never mentioned actually using the IS300 ring & pinion in the Supra.

In any case, you are correct.

Jeff

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
The IS LSD fits our housing just fine, with stock 8" gears.
I have one in mine now.
No ring gear spacing problems.
I used standard Toyota shims to dial in gear lash, although it took me 2 tries :aigo:
(now I know whay the manual says to whack the assembly with a big soft hammer)
I am used to RX-7 carriers, which have threaded collars that you use to set the rear end with.
The shim thing was new to me, I thought I had it right, but it made noise.
So I pulled it, and found that the shims that were tight (I thought), were loose.
Did it a second time, and whacked it with a big dead-blow hammer.I actually heard it pop down that time.
Made sure the shims only slid in freely 1/3rd the way, and set it to about .008" lash.
All was well then.
And contrary to what people said about drifting a helical, it drifts just fine!
It actually seems more controlable than my OEM LSD did.
I now have the OEM LSD in another housing for the drag strip only.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Jeff Lange;1454967 said:
Yes, but I thought we were only talking about the LSD portion of it. I never mentioned actually using the IS300 ring & pinion in the Supra.

In any case, you are correct.

Jeff

Is the ring gear the same part number or different? I think I will likely use my ring gear and pinion since they have worn together thus far and my stock diff does not make any abnormal noise currently.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
gofastgeorge;1454978 said:
The IS LSD fits our housing just fine, with stock 8" gears.
I have one in mine now.
No ring gear spacing problems.
I used standard Toyota shims to dial in gear lash, although it took me 2 tries :aigo:
(now I know whay the manual says to whack the assembly with a big soft hammer)
I am used to RX-7 carriers, which have threaded collars that you use to set the rear end with.
The shim thing was new to me, I thought I had it right, but it made noise.
So I pulled it, and found that the shims that were tight (I thought), were loose.
Did it a second time, and whacked it with a big dead-blow hammer.I actually heard it pop down that time.
Made sure the shims only slid in freely 1/3rd the way, and set it to about .008" lash.
All was well then.
And contrary to what people said about drifting a helical, it drifts just fine!
It actually seems more controlable than my OEM LSD did.
I now have the OEM LSD in another housing for the drag strip only.

Excellant, Thanks for the post! Jeff you were correct :)

Currently scouring junk yards for the diff!

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
What is nice, is that most yards don't know it's an LSD.
I got mine from a pick & pull yard.
Took the whole assembly up to the check-out.
The guy turned one shaft, theother turned the other way, and he wrote it up as a standard diff !