New to the import world

vettedreams2001

Jun 20, 2008
Virginia
Hello Supramaniacs.

As the title states I am new to the imports, I mainly work on domestics but recently bought an 89 Supra 7m-GTE motor, 5spd, sport roof. I bought it mainly due to the gas prices, but it has been growing on me, I just wish I could see what it's like to drive considering I bought it with a bhg and it mostly in pieces and finally have it back together, just not running (that's another thread). My DD is an 02 F150 HD edition (gets about 11mpg on premium), an 89 Firebird Formula and a 53 chevy p/u. I live in Illinois but hopefully moving back to TX. Thus far I've reaped a lot of useful info from this sight and hopefully I can toss my two cents out every now and again to help others.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Pics of said '53 p/u?
Welcome to SM. This is a great site for information. If you have any questions about this site, feel free to PM me and I will do my best to help you out here.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Welcome to SM - please note the search button (just to get that out of the way) :D

Yeah, pics of the '53 are needed for you to be accepted ;)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Welcome to Supramania. Are you married or dating anyone? If so, please post pictures of them ASAP so I can give you my full consent. I'd hate for you to be dating someone ugly and not be aware of it.............:biglaugh:

When you sign on.....please bring your sense of humor with you.

vettedreams2001

Jun 20, 2008
Virginia
Ha yeah I've gotten really used to the search button along with the tsrm, haynes manual and many of your posts. The 53 is in horrible shape, just about every panel needs replaced, but it runs...when I clean the fuel lines out, just doesn't stop. The wife wants her truck restored almost to original, plus 12volt conversion with AC and power windows, I'd prefer to hot rod it, but resto will work for hers. Comparing the two car projects I can say that Toyota was ahead of the times, if only they had adopted OBD standards, but jumper wires work just as well. I got a couple of pics for ya, one being the current condition of the 53 and one of my dd with what I traded for the supra in the back...and my family, and one of the supra.

Attachments

• halloween 018.jpg
    halloween 018.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Revamped Picture 026.jpg
    Revamped Picture 026.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC05630.jpg
    DSC05630.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 29

vettedreams2001

Jun 20, 2008
Virginia
Yup, traded straight across, the bike had a rebuilt title and barely anybody wanted to touch it like that, even though it was one of the best 95's I've seen. Thanks for the props, I worked hard on getting a few toys...including the wife, lol.

vettedreams2001

Jun 20, 2008
Virginia
I'll have to post a few when I get home, I wish it was the 350 tpi, but it's 305 tbi, not as much hp as the supra, but we'll see if I can swap it when I am saving a couple hundred a month by driving the supra instead of the truck.

mako18

Mar 15, 2008
FL
ForcedTorque;1090324 said:
I see a Firebird for sale thread coming to the other cars for sale thread. If this rebuild is done right, and you have any mods, you'll forget the Bird quickly.

Welcome to the site!

damn true

vettedreams2001;1091123 said:
I'll have to post a few when I get home, I wish it was the 350 tpi, but it's 305 tbi, not as much hp as the supra, but we'll see if I can swap it when I am saving a couple hundred a month by driving the supra instead of the truck.

350s are pretty rare, especially with a manual transmission in 3rd gens. I couldn't find one when I wanted one =( 3rd gen Formulas are one of my favorite cars, I probably would have bought one if I didn't find a Supra for sale first.

vettedreams2001

Jun 20, 2008
Virginia
Yeah, I wanted the 350, didn't care for the manual, 700r4s are good trannies for holding up some power, I was kind of in a crunch to trade my 70 firebird and needed something that ran and the wife and I agreed on it...which is rare. :) Thinking back I should have put my money into just a beefy 383 to put in her...the car that is. :naughty:

The route I would have gone with would have been a 383 too! I don't want to think about the gas mileage I'd get if I had one though. Supras don't get great mileage but they're ok. Even though the autos are good I just like the more involved feel a manual gives you. Otherwise I find myself paying less attention while driving than I would like at times.