New to the 7MGTE + Intro

Oxedizer

Jul 19, 2009
England
UK spec I guess. I have never come across one with the "JDM tailgate"

It is on my list of things to do. Anyway I am off to work.

Matt.

Oxedizer

Jul 19, 2009
England
Hey guys,

So I have managed to do a Fuel pressure test, and there was 38PSI when Fp & B+ connected. it was a bit tricky, loads of fuel spurted everywhere. I left the gauge connected for a further 5-10 minutes and it got to about 16PSI in the end by the time I finally disconnected it.

I have not as yet been able to check the timing yet, as I still waiting for a friend to lend me his.

I noticed that the CPS is leaking, it drips on the manifold. Its very small amount, but I have a feeling that the O-ring is shot. Would you recommend me buying a gear/pin and o-ring/ Or could I simply stretch the new o-ring over the gear?

Once the timing is has been checked... what else would you suggest? I have a feeling that it could be out somewhat, but until I get my gun on it, we don't know.

Matt.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
If the o-ring between the cps and head is leaking, it can be replaced pretty easily and it's not too expensive. No need for a gear unless it's messed up. Just make sure it's not leaking from inside the cps, that can mean trouble.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Oxedizer;1399821 said:
Hey guys,

So I have managed to do a Fuel pressure test, and there was 38PSI when Fp & B+ connected. it was a bit tricky, loads of fuel spurted everywhere. I left the gauge connected for a further 5-10 minutes and it got to about 16PSI in the end by the time I finally disconnected it.

I have not as yet been able to check the timing yet, as I still waiting for a friend to lend me his.

I noticed that the CPS is leaking, it drips on the manifold. Its very small amount, but I have a feeling that the O-ring is shot. Would you recommend me buying a gear/pin and o-ring/ Or could I simply stretch the new o-ring over the gear?

Once the timing is has been checked... what else would you suggest? I have a feeling that it could be out somewhat, but until I get my gun on it, we don't know.

Matt.

Did you test using the rest of the procedure with the car started?

Oxedizer

Jul 19, 2009
England
No jdub, once I tested the initial pressure and took reading again after the car had been left to stand. I reconnected every back together again.

Matt.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The problem with testing the fuel pressure using B+ and Fp as the only method is it bypasses the fuel pump control relay and resistor...it's good for checking the pump only. If you are having voltage problems with the relay or resistor, you will not see it (fluctuating/low FP readings). That is why the TSRM has you test pressure with the car started as well ;)

Oxedizer

Jul 19, 2009
England
hey all,

Slight update. I have managed to find a smallish split on my accordion hose, its on one of the ribs, hence I have not seen it before. I will be getting a new one very soon.

Also I can smell fuel vapours from the rear of the car, after turning the car has been turned off, and then for some time afterwards. I did think it was from the exhaust, as the car from what I can tell is running very rich. I got underneath the car and checked the fuel lines that comes off the tank. The only way I can describe it is where the tank connects to the rigid fuel line. There is a rubber hose that connects to a metal hose... this is then pushed into another slightly larger metal hose. I can wiggle it about.

This is where the fuel vapours are at their strongest. I am going to get a T-piece hose clamp on the join, and see if it helps. other than that, I might have to use an piece of rubber hose in-between the two.

Matt.

Oxedizer

Jul 19, 2009
England
Update:

I have managed to find the source of the problem... Intake manifold upper gasket. I could hear a hissing noise from the alternator area. I removed the alternator to replace the hose that sits directly behind it (rocker cover to engine block). There was a very slight split where the hose clamp was situated.

Once this was done I was just having a look in the near vicinity, and spotted some of the gasket hanging out. I used a smidgen of IGM to plug the hole... this sorted out the starting and idle perfectly.

I have removed all of the IGM and parked the car up, until Thursday when the gasket will be in stock at Toyota.

It makes perfect sense really. The vacuum leak is obviously un-metered air entering after all the sensors causing the inability for codes to be stored. The lack of fuel pressure during idle as there is a major loss in vacuum + poor fuel consumption and lack of power under acceleration.

jdub... Thanks a million for helping me find/test various things.

Manifold gasket: £6.19
Labour: £15
Driving a Supra (that works)... Priceless.

Matt.

Oxedizer

Jul 19, 2009
England
Hey all, Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm having problems again!

The original engine that was in the car suffered of rod knock a few weeks later, anyway another engine was sourced and installed, this came from a JDM 89 Manual Turbo. During the install process I had replaced most stock black rubber hoses with red silicone ones, 10 piece Samco silicone kit was apart of that. Bought new plugs (BCPR6EP N-8) along with some Blueprint leads, Mr.T stat, coolant, oil filter + 10w40 Semi oil, Replaced all the belts and cambelt with Mr.T ones.

How the engine from a glance looks now:

p1801318_1.jpg

Installed a Schrader valve: (fuel Results yielded with in TSRM)

p1801318_2.jpg

p1801318_3.jpg

Sorted out the A/C whilst I was at it.

p1801318_4.jpg

NO Fault codes present.

Now the fault is only when the car is at operating temps and after a few WOT pulls, The car will start and idle perfectly at any time regardless of temp, and at cruising speeds will be perfect, BUT when accelerating hard the car will have similar symptoms to that of a "fuel cut". It doesn't feel like a misfire so to speak but more of ALL power being cut, and its not uni-formal (Ie. every say 2 seconds it will jerk/splutter, more like ---> "-------___--__-------___-_--_-_") This is also regardless of boost levels (6-10 p.s.i).

The car will drive perfectly when warming up, say electric fans have kicked in (Siemans twin fans wired into stock A/C condenser fan power supply), but when at true operating temp it will have the problem.

I can get it to show a similar fault when under the hood, if I hold the throttle linkage at say 3250rpm and back off slightly to say 2500rpm, the engine will bog (drop to about 1500rpm) and then resume 2500rpm, but its only when I alter throttle position.

Other Mods include, 3" downpipe (stock elbow still on car - new one not yet fitted) 2.75"
Decat pipe back to stock muffler (HKS rear can to be fitted still)
K&N Intake Filter
HKS BOV.

I have re-calibrated the TPS (as per TSRM) as well as use one from another working 7M-GTE, tried another full set of coils and igniter off another working car. The only part I can't confirm in working condition is the spare AFM, it bench tested correctly (TSRM test) but this is never always a true test. EFI temp sensor was replaced with new from Mr. T.

The engine pulls a strong vac (steady 21"Hg idle, 21"Hg - 2"Hg -24"Hg - 21"Hg on a throttle blip) This was tested via the pre-installed gauge in the car and a Snap-on vacuum gauge.

No coolant loss, not burning oil (tiny bit of blue smoke on cold start-up if left for a few days) And not engine temps are good.

This engine has never run right from day one, and has been ongoing for the past 2 years. It was taken into a "tuning shop" and put down 246hp with 244 Lb-Tq (Not wheel power @ 8 P.S.I) I had been told that it was running fine but soon as a road test was done, it had the same fault. It was later returned and yet he couldn't find the fault, He told me to put the cat back on as the o2 sensor was unable to read correctly, and that the EGR must be put back on, however being a JDM version it never had EGR and still had the same fault with the cats in place + I am 99% certain that both items aren't used at WOT?

Dyno print out... Just before it left the shop, he did mention that fuelling was all over the place, this was only after I had to get answers on why he had told me the car was running "Perfect" on two separate occasions.

p1801318_5.jpg

So I'm at a total loss on ideas... What do you think?

Matt.

Attachments

• Nottingham-20110726-00474.jpg
    Nottingham-20110726-00474.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 3
  • temporary-1.jpg
    temporary-1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 4

Oxedizer

Jul 19, 2009
England
Wouldn't it be present all the time if it was a boost leak issue? The car will pull to 140mhp from a stand still with the boost gauge pinned at 10 p.s.i

Said gauge:

p1801338_1.jpg

Matt.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Oxedizer;1801318 said:
Now the fault is only when the car is at operating temps and after a few WOT pulls, The car will start and idle perfectly at any time regardless of temp, and at cruising speeds will be perfect, BUT when accelerating hard the car will have similar symptoms to that of a "fuel cut". It doesn't feel like a misfire so to speak but more of ALL power being cut, and its not uni-formal (Ie. every say 2 seconds it will jerk/splutter, more like ---> "-------___--__-------___-_--_-_") This is also regardless of boost levels (6-10 p.s.i).

That sounds like boost leak to me, someone correct me if I'm wrong

Also, are you running a JDM ECU?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
UKDM ECU. Not USDM or JDM.

EGR is NOT used at WOT.

Sounds like it could be an ignition issue. What resistance is shown at the CPS? Should be less than 180ohms. Also - check the airgap on the pickups, and make sure the timing is correct at 10' BTDC, but only after you recalibrate the TPS.

Oxedizer

Jul 19, 2009
England
Thanks for the replys so far guys.

Results: (CPS testing)

G1 - G- 142ohms
G2 - G- 164ohms
NE - G- 162ohms

Air Gap - 0.3mm

Re-calibrated TPS... But was in spec, checked timing with TE1 & E1 bridged (warm car) 10* BTDC

Matt.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Mine has a very similar problem, no power under boost. The PSI gauge will climb but the butt dyno says I'm going nowhere, the car goes faster at about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. I think my problem is a boost leak because I've got a good known Bosch recirc valve and I'm getting slight compressor surge then the car will stall or sometimes it'll catch itself around 300-400 rpm and idle normal. I know the lines to it are good as it's the same lines off my friends car and smoke tested the lines to it.

I've tested quite a few things, new plug wires, new ngk plugs(OE gapped to .027), new tps, rewired knock sensors. Mechanical timing is correct along with ignition timing, TPS is set per TSRM.

P.S. not trying to thread jack lol

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Well I fixed 90% of my cars hesitation by putting a boost leak tester on and fixing 2 big IC coupler leaks. My ISCV doesn't hold 15 psi nor does my Bosch bypass valve so those 2 are leaking. I still have a stalling issue when I push in the clutch at around 3k but it doesn't stall when I clutch around 1500 rpms. I'll clean the ISCV and see if it fixes it.

Something also weird is that my car would easily hit 8+ PSI on the gauge and with the leaks fixed it only hits near 6 psi.

Oxedizer

Jul 19, 2009
England
Ok, I will get the nitrogen and make sure that my system is holding...

I am going to test from the hose coming from the turbo that leads to intercooler, then back too 3000 pipe.

I will update everyone with results.

Matt.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Just remember to cap off the line coming FROM the TB to the valve covers. You really don't want to pressurize your crankcase if you test the full system.