new seat belt idea

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
so my seat belts are pretty old and crusty.
i would like to get new ones but its probably much cheaper to
go to the junkyard.

my idea is to get a set out of a newer car. like an sc300.

does anyone know if the seat belts will be compatible or not. are those ones electronic? maybe a mk4 supra?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Seat belts can be refurbished from a number of places. Last I knew they were still available new as well (but in limited colors).

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
yeah what was the cost. i hate having these crusty seat belts. and new from the stealership would be best if they arent too much $$$.

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

just called the stealership... they wanted $215 per side.......... hmmm. ill be hitting the junkyard. lets see if the lexus ls300 are the same or close to it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Local upholstery shops reweb around here IIRC. Webbing is cheap, most of the work is going to be removing your old seat belts for them to replace it.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
toyolla86;1666799 said:
maybe ill have to look into re-webbing then. especially if its cheaper.

so it looks like the stealership doubled the price on me.

No, they are just charging you full MSRP. You can get them from Vancouver Toyota in Vancouver, WA, or Champion out of Texas for the discount price. There's another dealer that sells and ships, too, but I don't recall the name / location.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I have both of them out of the car. I'll sell them for $50 shipped.

On a side note, do you need the short piece with the release button?

PM me.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I searched and searched awhile back for some black seatbelts. Was hoping that I could get from a Celica, or other compatible model, but never did find 'em. I even bought a set of "generic" replacements, but they did not have the electronic/wire deal and the fasten seatbelt light would not go out, so I returned those.

I'd be VERY interested in knowing which other ones we could use, which come in black and function exactly like stock.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
^
You can simply ground the wire and the seatbelt light will remain off. Unless you need to be reminded to wear your seatbelt for some reason?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Satan;1667166 said:
I searched and searched awhile back for some black seatbelts. Was hoping that I could get from a Celica, or other compatible model, but never did find 'em. I even bought a set of "generic" replacements, but they did not have the electronic/wire deal and the fasten seatbelt light would not go out, so I returned those.

I'd be VERY interested in knowing which other ones we could use, which come in black and function exactly like stock.

Get em rewebbed in any color you like ;)

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Well... I could just pull the bulb, etc, but prefer not to. Also, the ones I have are a bit saggy and I have another shadow grey used set. I was just hoping to go skrait black with a NEW set of front seatbelts (using existing Toyota wire/connections, etc. We are all VERY good about wearing our seatbelts and don't need the reminder, but I like to try and keep my lights/guages working as they should.