New Job

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
For almost two years I have been working at Sears as a part time employee. I usually work from 32 to 38 hours a week at 5.50 plus commission which averages out to about $8 to $9 an hour without any benefits.

About two months ago my friend gets a job as a manager at a shop. His job has been to get a store ready to open. Basically clean up the store, refurbish equipment and hire a crew. Every since he got the job he has been offering me a position at the new shop. The first offer $7 an hour plus up to 25% commission and benefits. I told him I would think on it. Last month the offer went up to $7.50 plus commission and benefits. Once again I told him I would think on it. Two weeks ago the job offer got bumped to $8 an hour and up to 30% commission plus full benefits. I decided that that offer was better than what I was getting at Sears and turned in my two week notice Saturday.

Wednesday I get a call from my friend to help him work on a car. A real easy job replacing wheel bearing. After the job was done I decided to hang out and help my friend around the shop. The owner of the car comes by and picks up the car and takes it for a drive. About an hour later the guy comes back. The owner of the car is the new owner of the shop my friend is getting ready to open. It turns out that me helping with the car was a job interview.

And the job offer got better. Full access to the shop with lifts on the weekends and after hours, rotating Saturdays off and Sundays the shop being closed. Since he knows alot of people with hot rods on my days off I can earn extra cash by working on the hot rods.

Next week I finish out my notice then have three days off. Which I will be getting drunk to put my old job behind me. Then go into work for three days for training etc etc. Then have another three days off and finally go in to work the 5th for my first day at work.

You know maybe I should have held out for a sign-on bonus.....

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
I love working for the dealership Im at, tech work all day is alotta fun for me. I get my hourly plus bonus if my productivity is over 120%. Plus full access on my days off (only when were officially open though.... but the owners son is my roommate... we have keys :))

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
5 days left at my old job and I'm developing a case of Short Timer's Desease. I'm so tired of corporate ran shops and the BS. I need a vacation!!!!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Congrats on the new job. I may bring my car in for a tuneup if you can give me the hookup........:biglaugh:

I'm sure your shop is just around the corner from me.

Edit: I swear to God I didn't realize you were in Alabama when I typed that. I figured you'd be in California or NewYork or somewhere forever far away until I read your location. Maybe I will bring it in for a once over.

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
The shop is by Hargrove Rd and Loop Rd. Down the street from Mobile Electronics. I've been told Tracey is the guy to talk to about getting a good dyno tune.

I'm hoping it works out because I'm about to order my .030 over 10.5:1 forged pistons and put my spare block and head into the machine shop.

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
I think we discuss the before or I'm having a case of deja vu....

Tuscaloosa, home of the Parole Tide, Criminal Tide, etc etc

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
We may have, but I meet a lot of people on here and I don't have all of my brain cells left. A friend of mine goes to school @ Tuscaloosa. He's Topnotch2jz on here. He works with me during the time he's off. His name is Keylan, but I don't know if you know him or not. Good luck with the job.

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
There's not a big import scene in T-town so I don't meet many Supra owners around here. I got an invite to Books-A-Million. I went once but it was nothing but a bunch of high schooler with too much attitude and not enough knowledge or brains. Also got a few invites to join car clubs. The only one that seems real serious is S-I-R. Sudden Impact Racing. Couple of the members hooked me up with deals on parts and machine work. The leader is going to be my new manager.

EDIT: I've met one other supra owner in town. Flightdoc and I have met before. Him and I have some mutual friends that hang out at the coffee shop that once again has changed it's name. It's now Strip Teas and Coffee.

Last edited: