New headlights?

masterchief819

Apr 4, 2006
us
So I'm tired of not being able to see more then 10 feet in front of me at night with my crappy headlights. What brand/model headlights should I get? I'm not looking to buy hid's and spend like $200, just some kind of replacement that will offer the best/brightest light for little $$.

Any suggestions?

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
I've also seen a LOT of cars with those ebay lenses and they don't put out nearly the light that you'll get out of the Hellas with a quality bulb.

Also, just spend some time reading www.DanielSternLighting.com and you'll learn so much about your lighting.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
marc1131 said:
i bought ebay knock offs for 20 bucks shipped and I love them.

The most important thing is that you love them. That being said, if you drive a car with a quality lense and bulb you will throw those eBay lights in the garbage can where they belong.

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
Pretty much you get what you pay for when it comes to headlamps.
Ive seen them all and the only good solution for a drop in headlamp for the mk3 supra is the Hella E-Codes or Narva/Cibie E Codes. Raybrig also makes a good headlamp at a premium cost but you will get the same output performance thru a Hella unit..difference being clear front glass with the Raybrig over the fresnel Hellas.

Diamond Crystal generic headlamps off ebay or anywhere online are a waste of money.

masterchief819

Apr 4, 2006
us
So if I got a hella housing with some h4 bulbs, what is required for installation? After skimming through that website that was posted about wiring, it seems like they suggest installing a whole new wiring system for the new headlights. Like installing a relay and other stuff. Is this really necessary or can I just drop in the new housing/bulb and continue normal use?

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
Using a relay harness will generate even better output since it draws current directly from the battery and sends it straight to the lights and doesnt lose current thru the stock lighting harness. Even with stock bulbs, there is a noticeable difference. Not required, but recommended for optimum output.

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
I picked up some Sylvania SilverStars to replace my headlamps and foglamps... They're still H3 (proper heat / wattage rating, so they require no modifications) however their color temperature and light purity is far superior to standard bulbs... Thus far I've been very happy with them. The headlamps are model H6054ST, the fogs are H3ST. They were around $20 a piece, so I left Advance paying around $87 total... They can be had for less if you purchase on-line, but I just wanted to go ahead and take care of them (I was getting annoyed with the OEM lights as well).

Sorry bout the first pic... I was trying to hold the camera over my head so it was a bit shakey... All pics are low beams except last one.
p634842_1.jpg

p634842_2.jpg

p634842_3.jpg

p634842_4.jpg

p634842_5.jpg

Last edited:

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
masterchief819 said:
So if I got a hella housing with some h4 bulbs, what is required for installation? After skimming through that website that was posted about wiring, it seems like they suggest installing a whole new wiring system for the new headlights. Like installing a relay and other stuff. Is this really necessary or can I just drop in the new housing/bulb and continue normal use?

Step 1: Raise Headlights and turn them to the off but still up position
Step 2: Remove plastic surround (4 screws)
Step 3: Remove metal trim ring (4 screws)
Step 4: Disconnect plug from back of stock headlight
Step 5: Insert new H4 bulb in new H4 lens - do not touch the actual bulb - hold it by the metal part
Step 6: Connect stock plug to new headlight lens and bulb
Step 7: Reassemble and aim
Step 8: Enjoy a refreshing beverage

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
HIDPLANET said:
Pretty much you get what you pay for when it comes to headlamps.
Ive seen them all and the only good solution for a drop in headlamp for the mk3 supra is the Hella E-Codes or Narva/Cibie E Codes. Raybrig also makes a good headlamp at a premium cost but you will get the same output performance thru a Hella unit..difference being clear front glass with the Raybrig over the fresnel Hellas.

Diamond Crystal generic headlamps off ebay or anywhere online are a waste of money.

I have a set of Raybrig housings that I had on my Supra and with a good bulb they are very badass. I was very pleased with them.. He's not kidding about the cost either. Mine were almost 175 US for the pair. They sure as hell dont leak water though...

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
theprodigy79 said:
I picked up some Sylvania SilverStars to replace my headlamps and foglamps... They're still H3 (proper heat / wattage rating, so they require no modifications) however their color temperature and light purity is far superior to standard bulbs... Thus far I've been very happy with them. The headlamps are model H6054ST, the fogs are H3ST. They were around $20 a piece, so I left Advance paying around $87 total... They can be had for less if you purchase on-line, but I just wanted to go ahead and take care of them (I was getting annoyed with the OEM lights as well).

Sorry bout the first pic... I was trying to hold the camera over my head so it was a bit shakey... All pics are low beams except last one.
p635001_1.jpg

Can i just buy the h4 bulbs just like those? I dont need the housing. Do you know if theres a number for it? What if i want to get a HID set up. Where should i buy that at and i still want to keep the same housing. Do i just buy H4 HID?

Last edited:

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
I never picked up those Silvania Silverstars bc I thought the advertisement was way overratted but DAMN those are NICE as hell compared to my bulbs now... hold crap.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
I've been kicking around the idea of getting the sylvania's too. you can pick them up locally and they should still be an improvement over old stockers. Plus it's only like $40 for the pair.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
billspreston01 said:
I've been kicking around the idea of getting the sylvania's too. you can pick them up locally and they should still be an improvement over old stockers. Plus it's only like $40 for the pair.

The original owner who WAS a friend of mine, claims thats whats on the car now... BULL SHIT. I swear I cant believe people looked up to him about this car, he didnt know shit about it.